Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick recap from a previous post:
I am addicted to the Texas Mile!!! I purpose build (by myself) a 1993 RX-7 with a stroked/turbo 6.0 LS to achieve my 200 MPH goal. Took me many years and many runs to finally get there. Sold that car and eventually bought my 2011 CTS V Coupe form a friend. He spent lots of $$ getting it to the 775RWHP that it is today. Its been tuned by G-Force here in Pearland and Pat G out in Victoria. While I was out at the mile running my RX-7, a buddy was running his V sedan and I saw lots of V's out there having fun. I was always jealous how he drove his car there, raced, and drove it home. Well, now its my turn! I considered this car a great platform to start my build.

I am a HUGE do it yourselfer and enjoy wrenching on cars. Having a car that someone else built saved me time but causes me anxiety, so I will be going thru everything and getting familiar with the car before my planned race in March/April 2022. I gave my car details in the new member forum, but here they are again as I start a build thread to get everyone caught up....
  • LME stage III ported heads
  • LME ported supercharger with Lingenfelter 18% OD pulley
  • TSP 2in headers with x-pipe
  • FIC 1000cc injectors
  • BTR Cam with .660 spring kit, chromoly pushrods
  • LS7 lifter trays
  • C&R heat exchanger
  • CHE High performance rocker trunnions
  • Fore dual fuel pump system
  • Nick Williams 102 TB
  • Data Driven performance intake
  • Flex fuel sensor running E85
So far I have done some appearance mods and added the Aeroforce interceptor gauge where the clock was.
- Complete blackout
- New black grill with custom emblems
- Vinyl wrapped all chrome
- Disassembled headlights and painted chrome face and added Oracle multicolored halos
- Wrapped Hood and bumper to cover rock chips
- Embossed an Eagle under the hood wrap
- Added front splitter
- Full paint correction and ceramic coating

Upcoming plans are for a dedicated motorsports rear trunk tank and possibly a Forced Induction interchiller and spacer plates.

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Hood

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
how much power does it take to get a V up to 200 in the mile?

·
Super Moderator
21,728 Posts
Is there a reason you started a second thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Stock V2 was good for 191mph, no?

Reactions: Ivancanuk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is your favorite color? Lol.

My first post was in member introduction. Figured I would start a build thread as I crack into the car and add my touches. I will add to the thread as I have results at the event also. I know there are a few 200MPH cars here, but can’t find specific posts regarding “the recipe” for 200MPH. Of course having the parts is one piece of the equation. The tuner can make all the difference. 200MPH is achievable with enough space, but limiting it to a standing mile makes it more challenging.

I was running in the 190s many times with my last build. Wind resistance is exponentially larger at higher speeds. Seems like everyone fights for those last MPH. People near the 200 mark are all separated by tenths of a second. Eventually aerodynamic upgrades helped me. I added a vented hood and full underbody panels. Removed mirrors and taped up all the body lines.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Reactions: Blown376

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
What is your favorite color? Lol.

My first post was in member introduction. Figured I would start a build thread as I crack into the car and add my touches. I will add to the thread as I have results at the event also. I know there are a few 200MPH cars here, but can’t find specific posts regarding “the recipe” for 200MPH. Of course having the parts is one piece of the equation. The tuner can make all the difference. 200MPH is achievable with enough space, but limiting it to a standing mile makes it more challenging.

I was running in the 190s many times with my last build. Wind resistance is exponentially larger at higher speeds. Seems like everyone fights for those last MPH. People near the 200 mark are all separated by tenths of a second. Eventually aerodynamic upgrades helped me. I added a vented hood and full underbody panels. Removed mirrors and taped up all the body lines.
Your FD RX7 was way more areodynamic than the giant square brick that is the V2 lol.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the V2 was more aerodymically efficient.
maaaaaybe it has a better coefficient of drag because its a 10 year newer vehicle and maybe more wind tunnel testing (I still kinda doubt it) but the frontal area of the FD is much much smaller than the V2 so even if the V has a better Cd it still would most likely have significantly more drag and thus take more power to get to the same speed.

Aerodynamic efficiency can only overcome so much. I wouldn't be surprised if the V2 had 50% bigger frontal area than a tiny FD, you would need a crazy Cd to overcome that difference.

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
2,611 Posts
The extra ton of weight isn’t on the V’s side, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the V2 was more aerodymically efficient.
I just looked it up and you are wrong. The FD RX7 has a significantly lower Cd and much lower frontal area.

apparently according to Mazda the FD has a Cd of 0.31 for the R1 with aggressive front splitter and 0.29 for the non R1 which is quite good for an older car. It also has a frontal area of 1.79 sq meters.

What I could find about the V2 is it has a Cd of 0.355 and 2.25 sq meter frontal area.

So I was right, the V is a damn brick and the FD is more than 50% more aerodynamic.
The CTS-V will have over 50% more drag force at a given speed than the FD meaning if you needed 1000hp in an FD to get to 200mph in the standing mile (im not sure what the actual number is) you would need over 1500hp in a V to do the same thing.

Reactions: V_Wagon

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just looked it up and you are wrong. The FD RX7 has a significantly lower Cd and much lower frontal area.

apparently according to Mazda the FD has a Cd of 0.31 for the R1 with aggressive front splitter and 0.29 for the non R1 which is quite good for an older car. It also has a frontal area of 1.79 sq meters.

What I could find about the V2 is it has a Cd of 0.355 and 2.25 sq meter frontal area.

So I was right, the V is a damn brick and the FD is more than 50% more aerodynamic.
The CTS-V will have over 50% more drag force at a given speed than the FD meaning if you needed 1000hp in an FD to get to 200mph in the standing mile (im not sure what the actual number is) you would need over 1500hp in a V to do the same thing.
What formula did you use to come up with the 50 percent more drag force.

Also, I said "I wouldn't be surprised if the V2 was more aerodynamically efficient." Never said it is definitely more aerodynamically efficient. Lol

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Drag force is:
{\displaystyle F_{\rm {d}}\,=\,{\tfrac {1}{2}}\,\rho \,u^{2}\,c_{\rm {d}}\,A}

{\displaystyle F_{\rm {d}}}
is the drag force, which is by definition the force component in the direction of the flow velocity
\rho
is the mass density of the fluid
u
is the flow velocity relative to the object
A
is the reference area
{\displaystyle c_{\rm {d}}}
is the drag coefficient

Proportionally .355/.029 * 2.25/1.79 = 1.538
Meaning the V has 54% more drag force than the FD Rx7 all other variables being equal.

And Power = Drag Force * velocity
So at a given velocity the V will need 54% more power to overcome drag.
This really applies to the ultimate drag limited top speed calculation. The power to reach 200mph in a standing mile has a ton more variables to do with weight and gearing etc but we were talking about aero only so its good enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
how much power does it take to get a V up to 200 in the mile?
I purchased mine(2013) from the police commissioner of a big city . It only had 24 thousand miles on it and was stock. He claimed to have had it doing 200 mph. I have since had a 255 upper and dynotune installed. Now makes approx 640 at crank and 530 at tire (measured). No; I have not yet had the opportunity to find maximum speed.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I purchased mine(2013) from the police commissioner of a big city . It only had 24 thousand miles on it and was stock. He claimed to have had it doing 200 mph. I have since had a 255 upper and dynotune installed. Now makes approx 640 at crank and 530 at tire (measured). No; I have not yet had the opportunity to find maximum speed.
Is it a manual? I think a modded manual can hit 200mph eventually but a stock one proly not and IIRC the gearing on the A6 is shorter so if it was automatic its even less likely.
I think you bought it from a liar but he was a police commissioner so that was a given lol

Reactions: jcs003
1 - 20 of 26 Posts