Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1367 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I haven't had the issue with hiss/static and low volume on my setup with either the first one I bought (that was Android 4 based) and the second one I bought (that was Android 7 based). I sold the first to someone on the forum who didn't report any problems with the audio on his car. So my guess is that it was fixed at some point in the production of the first version and carried forward to the second. Since it's not my car that seems to be the factor.

The front/rear fader doesn't work correctly. Set that with the stock HU before you remove and don't touch the fader in the Tesla unit Equalizer page. If you do touch it, you'll lose the ability to fade to the rear afterwards. But note, this may also have been fixed. I busted the interface board on my new unit and used the one from the old. The control of the fader is in that interface board (since that's where the OBD interface is, and the Bose amp is controlled digitally over the OBD vs. with knobs). The newer one may have worked correctly. I never bothered to get Phoenix to send me a new one since I wasn't psyched to take the thing out of the car again anyway, and I'm happy with the way it sounds in spite of its hobbled adjustability.

The tone controls in the equalizer actually work pretty good, though what they do is counterintuitive (meaning, they're labeled like frequency bands but that isn't quite what they seem to control). I just move them around until I get the sound that I like. And there is a significant range of variation in the sound. The defaults the tablet starts up with are terrible. The system sounds substantially better with a little experimentation.

Also worth noting, if you press the RESET button on the front of the unit, all the audio settings are reset to their defaults. Nothing else is reset that I've noticed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
After multiple calls today between dhl/Loomis, I was able to pickup my package.

Haven't cracked it open yet as ill have to wait till the kids are in bed. Box felt awful light :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I've started to hook this up.
Running/Ran into a couple issues
Tablet was in Chinese when booted.
Luckily I was able to find the language settings

Problem 1
Sound only playing through front speakers.
I've tried the various RCA's and even checked the equalizer settings. Not sure where to go here

Problem 2
Backup camera not working
I thought this was straight forward as there was one connector with a single yellow RCA.
No matter where I try the RCA, I can't get the camera to work

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
@RocketSled or anyone else that can assist.

Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can't help with the audio, but make sure the CTS is running to check the camera (at least mine doesn't work with just KOEO).

·
Registered
110 Posts
@paul1965 I think I got the audio sorted.
Backup camera is still not working
Tried with the car running.

When you hooked yours up, was it just the one pigtail with yellow RCA? Did you have to connect any other wires?
Wish I had a pic of the plug. There's only two pins in the whole thing and I'm wondering if they are in the right spot

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I thought with the OE camera you go into the head unit settings and tell it which trigger to use, so you wouldn't need to connect anything else. I've since upgraded the camera to an aftermarket, so I use the yellow RCA now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go into the General settings, System, then select your appropriate Camera type, then set "Reverse from OBD" On or Off. OE camera uses OBD ON.

·
Registered
110 Posts
@paul1965 Thank you for your time and quick responses
I also managed to get Phoenix on the phone for support. Things appear to be working now

Although I do have the dreaded low volume hiss that others had mentioned. And this is brand new unit. So not sure what's going on there.
I did notice I could also fade audio to rear, with a caveat. Fading completely to the rear seems drop volume for the rear doors but plays in the rear deck

·
Registered
40 Posts
@paul1965 Thank you for your time and quick responses
I also managed to get Phoenix on the phone for support. Things appear to be working now

Although I do have the dreaded low volume hiss that others had mentioned. And this is brand new unit. So not sure what's going on there.
I did notice I could also fade audio to rear, with a caveat. Fading completely to the rear seems drop volume for the rear doors but plays in the rear deck
Glad you're getting some things worked out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Next on list.

Figure out how to get dashboard lid of factory display

Look into if the heat from this unit is expected. If i touch the top of the unit, its really hot. Hot enough I cant keep my hand on for long

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
It does run hot, but it doesn't seem to care about it. I have the old display lid velcro'd in place so there's no hole, but I can easily remove it. That's where I put the pigtails for the USB connectors, so I can get at them but they're not sticking out when they're not needed. I also have a video cable that I hook up to an action-cam when I'm doing a track day. Lets me check the video feed on the Tesla display before I start out so I can be sure I'm recording. Also, it's fun to try and drive from the camera view (not race, just drive slowly).

It's been nearly a year since I did my last install. I don't remember the details much. But I do remember there is only one RCA that you connect and that's for the backup camera video. None of the other RCAs are used unless you have auxiliary video or audio input sources you want to use.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So the background noise seems not fixed, too bad, but I had small hopes!
I remember the fader settings under console worked, but not the one under sound settings.
I runned the USB cables to the small ashtray compartment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought Sergey Kozlov's firmware and it's a nice addition to this unit.
Got the rear camera working, possibly bent pin.
Only point of concern is the plug in ac board doesn't seem to click or lock in. I tried to make the plug tighter but almost ruined a pin in the plug.
If it works loose I may plug back in and tape or something.

I need to figure out how to get the lid off the original display and I'll likely vecro like you did @RocketSled. Quick access and I don't want to pull the unit out right now.
Other than that if I switch the car to CTS high and look at the console settings, I can see the front/rear fader is at -15. I level it to zero and it changes back after reboot.

So I leveled it out and changed back to CTS. My rear speakers are working so I'll leave it for time being.
One other observation now (and I'm not sure if expected). If I turn the car off, the unit shuts off right away without me opening a door.
The stock unit would play until door is open or if time limit (I think 10 mins) is reached.

Overall I'm loving the unit. A benefit of the custom firmware is that I can make a list of full screen apps. When launched, the top/bottom bar is gone. But can be temp brought back by swipe from top (or bottom I think too) so that you can go to other apps.

I'm also going to change the boot/home screen pictures. Eventually using an animated boot screen

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can vouch for Sergey's work, he made a custom ROM for me too. Awesome communication from him and well worth the small price. You can find him on xda-developers.com too (ShIvADeSt)

·
Registered
110 Posts
He walked me through install last night.
Hit a couple bumps (on my part) but he figured it out right away

$100 USD. free upgrades after that

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm brand new to it. But right away I'm seen

Smoother operation
Easier changes to make to boot and homescreen logos
Ability to full screen apps and did the upper lower bars during fullscreen
Better multi tasking *native and 3rd party apps playing nicer together
Unlocks themes
And there were some issues other users had that I can't remember, that his firmware helped

He's super responsive when contacted .
I reached out to him a couple hours later he was walking me through the install. Prob an hour or more

And for those the care, he did add root ability. Which i prob wont go into and risk messing up unit

1341 - 1360 of 1367 Posts