Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 1369 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I sold my original PX3 based unit to another member of the forum, and he installed it in his car and it worked no problem. In fact, based on feedback from others in this thread, my PX3 unit was apparently the only one that didn't hiss. The guy who bought it says it doesn't hiss in his car, either. The new PX6 unit I bought also doesn't hiss. So I would bet that the original problem was fixed on newer units.

I don't do Apple so I can't comment on Carplay. The PX6 I bought is supposed to support Carplay and Android Auto but I haven't been able to make AA work and ultimately decided there was no point. Having a full-fledged Android tablet eliminates the need to project my phone to the display. It's more complicated and doesn't bring anything to the "party". Yeah, if your phone is more powerful than the tablet it'd make sense to use the phone with the tablet as a remote display, provided you were actually running an app that couldn't perform well enough on the tablet. But there are no such apps at least as far as I've experienced. None I can run while driving the car anyway.

These tablets use a 3rd party Bluetooth module because they have to act as "slaves" and the tablet's built-in bluetooth is a "master". Because of this, you can't connect much else to them except a cell phone (which is a "master"). If you want OBD-II you need a WiFi dongle version. I bought one at random off Amazon that works fine with the Torque app, with the one downside being that the tablet can't be connected to the dongle and also to the Internet. That hasn't been a problem, though, since the only time I use Torque is on the track and I don't need an Internet connection in that situation.
How Much did you pay for your PX6.. Wondering if the price they are advertising is really a sale or just the buy now bs. They are advertising them for $729 and has a ton of upgrades to purchase along with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SO I SEE THESE ADVERTISED FOR $729.99 ...assuming this is a good price i also saw a old ad they had where the price was $769. Whats the typical price. I want one so bad but I am doing HP upgrades and kids Xmas is important. should I pull the trigger now and wait on new Blower or get the deal now lol.
Also can you see Face time on these or messenger Face time?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That's about the right price. I don't see them putting these on sale. Too small a market. Sale is what you do when you have excess inventory you need to move before the quarter closes. They don't carry much inventory. Mine had to ship from China and took about 2 weeks to show up.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Mine is Android 7. But this is the second one I got. The first was Android 4. Someone on the forum bought that off me and at last report was pretty happy with it. I was, except that it was too slow for the things I wanted to do with it. The Android 7 version is much faster but otherwise pretty much the same.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Avoid the 4.4 units. They work but are too slow. Try to get a 8.1 or 9.0 one. I was reading the 9.0 comes as fastboot. There's custom firmwares available from a guy called sergey kozlov that adds nice features and solves several issues. Don't buy with phoenix, better via alibaba and invest the saved money for the custom firmware.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine is Android 7. But this is the second one I got. The first was Android 4. Someone on the forum bought that off me and at last report was pretty happy with it. I was, except that it was too slow for the things I wanted to do with it. The Android 7 version is much faster but otherwise pretty much the same.
lol, I was the guy that bought yours and as you mentioned it is very slow, and freezes all the time. As I mentioned in my thread, I am in Italy for the next three years (should be returning around 2023), and I plan to upgrade to whatever the latest version is. Very happy with it overall, if it wasn't so slow and I believe that is fixed in the later versions.......

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm debating the Android 9 one
I know somewhere in this thread it was mentioned about the devices running 4.4 but reporting as a higher version
Hope that's not the case with theAndroid 7/8/9 units

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The instructions are only marginally helpful. The hardest part of the job is getting the center stack apart and removing the old HU and they don't provide any help for that. The Tesla replacement goes in as a single assembly, with two bolts to hold it in. You just need to plug stuff in that you unplugged from the original HU. There's a picture to show you the connectors plugged in as a reference. It's really pretty easy to put in. The hardest part of this step is just juggling the assembly while you do the plugging. If you had someone to hold it for you, that problem goes away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and bought the Android 9 fast boot version (with built in Android Auto)
Now begins the waiting game to see how long it takes to get to me (Canada)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My first one took a few days. The second took a few weeks. With Covid, coming from China, you might be looking at a month...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like this thread has gone quiet.
I got my shipping information and expected delivery data is Thurs 25th.
However looking at the tracking information, it does indicate that as of this morning it's 'Arrived at Delivery Facility in ONTARIO SERVICE AREA - CANADA'

Then I'll have to reread some of these pages.

@RocketSled maybe you can advise.
I remember someone mentioning in here that the base/treble levels should be flattened on the stock radio first? Is this true?
If so, is there a volue level I should have the stock radio at before replacing as well?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I rehooked the oem unit to increase the volume. My hope was that the static background noise I have will go away. It had no effect on the volume when I reinstalled the Tesla unit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,338
I rehooked the oem unit to increase the volume. My hope was that the static background noise I have will go away. It had no effect on the volume when I reinstalled the Tesla unit.
Even though my CTS was totaled over 2 years ago, I remember there being a page on the tesla-style unit that allowed you to change all of the OEM amplifier settings (as well as amplifier volume) without having to put the OEM head unit back in to change the settings.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good to know. Thanks.

Even though my CTS was totaled over 2 years ago, I remember there being a page on the tesla-style unit that allowed you to change all of the OEM amplifier settings (as well as amplifier volume) without having to put the OEM head unit back in to change the settings.
I remember reading about changing car type to get additional settings and flipping back.
But was just curious if some of the struggles was due to the unit trying to amplify something that was very low to begin with.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If your Cartype is set to CTS-HI, then you have under console separate lever for volume, bass, etc. The same as on the oem unit. To minimize the static noise, I lowered the volume under console from 40 to 25. But then the overall volume is very low. If you set it back to cartype CTS you can get some of the lost volume back.

1321 - 1340 of 1369 Posts