16,366 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Holy hell that is the ugliest thing on four wheels. The Rivian guys must be relieved this morning, once they stop laughing. Stainless steel exterior? You mean, like a Delorean? Yeah, that worked out pretty well, let's do that.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,366 Posts
Wow, that guy throws like a girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
I thought a truck had a bed, like thats the least of this things problems.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
1970's called, they want their sci-fi vehicle back.

1996 Lara Croft also called expressing interest.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
First look says blade runner.

From ZH I cracked up.

So Musk nervously joked his way through the rest of the skit, claiming maybe his assistant had thrown at the truck "too hard". In other words, Musk's presentation of the indestructable Cybertruck had been bested by a skinny Silicon Valley beta male lofting a small object at it.

·
Premium Member
17,273 Posts
Ugly as hell IMO. Perhaps hideous.

I guess the specs may be ok. But functionally the big boys do really well with trailering and hauling assist devices, cameras, etc.

Electric motors are the ideal choice for heavy duty work. This was a seriously missed opportunity to make a real difference and demonstrate that there are options other than diesel.

Diesel remains an extremely appealing choice for many because you get decent mileage, long range, heavy/constant duty hauling and trailering, and durability.

And today's tech isn't quite good enough to match diesel. But a good attempt in the hands of more truck owners would open many people's eyes to the potential and benefits of EV's. Selling an oddball cybertruck to a few wealthy, quirky owners isn't going to tip the scales.

What I can't fathom is that if Tesla's mission is the accelerate the transition off liquid/fossil fuels, how does this product in ANY way support that? It's far too niche in appeal to do so, and it doesnt move the needle in any such way.

It wont really put any pressure on other OEM's by increasing competition. And it wont sell in meaningful enough volume to make a dent by itself.

I gotta question Tesla heavily for these choices. They don't add up from any lens I can view it thru.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Tri- See Showman, it's not about the steak but the sizzle. Pre order now, generate cash flow and keep himself relevant and int he news. I think Random said it best - Musk = Kardashian

I like his boldness and agree with your assessment.

·
Super Moderator
16,366 Posts
I currently rock two F150’s in the family. If the E trucks will tow 8000# to and from the boat launch with no issue, I will likely get one E truck for close trips and one gas truck for long hauls.

Coming next, E powered wakeboats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,273 Posts
Tri- See Showman, it's not about the steak but the sizzle. Pre order now, generate cash flow and keep himself relevant and int he news. I think Random said it best - Musk = Kardashian

I like his boldness and agree with your assessment.
Well, I'd disagree to some extent. Every great has been at least some % showman. You can't be purely engineering genius or pure showman. You need both.

The stupid dancers at the Ford Mach E event was worse in the showman category IMO. Car unveiling is always far too much regardless of brand.

There is zero doubt that on both the Tesla and SpaceX side Musk has done some impressive things. But cars and trucks need special attention to all the details. Broken "Armor Glass" not rigorously tested (testing being a known Tesla weak spot) and not getting the target audience right and in line with the company's stated mission are bad indeed.

I don't think its accurate to go black or white on any of this. We all have good analysis skills and decent automotive knowledge. We know what's real and BS.

IOW - I have enough confidence in this forum to not be snowed by showy salesmanship and flashy demos. And also enough respect that members will acknowledge true advancements and give credit where due.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 77 Posts