Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever listened to any of Eric Alexander's recent speaker designs in person? I came across reviews of Tekton Designs Double Impact late last year and was intrigued. Lately I've switched my focus to the Moab, I would have gone to one of the big audio shows to get a listen, but they've all been cancelled. AXPONA is just four hours away, but I don't see Tekton on next years exhibitor list. Just looking for someone who has heard them.

@Rubber Duck

·
3,938 Posts
Has anyone ever listened to any of Eric Alexander's recent speaker designs in person? I came across reviews of Tekton Designs Double Impact late last year and was intrigued. Lately I've switched my focus to the Moab, I would have gone to one of the big audio shows to get a listen, but they've all been cancelled. AXPONA is just four hours away, but I don't see Tekton on next years exhibitor list. Just looking for someone who has heard them.

@Rubber Duck
I have not heard these but looks like an interesting speaker.
If they are really 99 db sensitive you could drive these with a Walkman or get some serious SPL. That does seem optimistic given the driver compliment.
4-way, multiple ports and lots of drivers is a complicated design that takes some serious engineering to get right.
Again not having listened to them I can only speculate but looks like looks like a lot of sound for the $.
I bet they rock!

Over the years I've found that I prefer a simpler designs when conventional drivers are used.
Also prefer active set-ups. Eliminating passive crossovers IMHO always sounds better and allows for a more cohesive design.
Andrew Jones has done a great job with the Elac Navis speakers. Navis Powered Floorstanding Speaker - Elac
Actually all his Elac designed speakers sound amazing. The Debut 2 bookshelf speakers for under $300 a pair have no equal.

For music I've always enjoyed line source designs that use ribbons. Unfortunately cost and complexity are both high.
I miss my Wisdom set-up :(

For movies its got to have a compression driver. Just can't get the dynamics out of anything else.
My current favorites are Meyer Sound Acheron's. Just amazing! Acheron

Music only or also movies? Size of listening area? Supporting gear?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For music I've always enjoyed line source designs that use ribbons. Unfortunately cost and complexity are both high.
I miss my Wisdom set-up :(

For movies its got to have a compression driver. Just can't get the dynamics out of anything else.
My current favorites are Meyer Sound Acheron's. Just amazing! Acheron

Music only or also movies? Size of listening area? Supporting gear?
I also liked electrostatic speakers, but they lacked low end. Electrostatics that integrated a good low end into a smooth frequency response got very expensive. When I lived in Chicagoland I had one room for combined audio and home theater. Now I have a huge family room with wet bar that doesn't have a good location for a TV so it's audio only with a separate home theater. For stereo I'm using vintage SAE equipment and the amp has 250W into 8 ohms and even more with my 4 ohm speakers. My current KEF speakers are 46" high while the Tekton DI is 54" and the Moab is 69". They'll fit in the room because the top of my fireplace mantle is 74" (overkill, bought house with it in place). A few pics to follow.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Family room.

Sent from a hole in the space-time continuum

·
3,938 Posts
I also liked electrostatic speakers, but they lacked low end. Electrostatics that integrated a good low end into a smooth frequency response got very expensive. When I lived in Chicagoland I had one room for combined audio and home theater. Now I have a huge family room with wet bar that doesn't have a good location for a TV so it's audio only with a separate home theater. For stereo I'm using vintage SAE equipment and the amp has 250W into 8 ohms and even more with my 4 ohm speakers. My current KEF speakers are 46" high while the Tekton DI is 54" and the Moab is 69". They'll fit in the room because the top of my fireplace mantle is 74" (overkill, bought house with it in place). A few pics to follow.
Well you certainly have the room for some big speakers. Also looks like your seating distance is far enough away to hear some of the low frequency. I’ve always liked speakers with woofers at the top and bottom. With bass coming from different elevations it can, it most cases help smooth out response by addressing room modes and standing waves. I’d go for the big ones :)
If your amp is plugged into the Monster power piece I’d bypass it. Like most 15 amp devices they’re going to limit current. And from what I remember that amp likes current. Great to see someone else still listening to shiny discs. If you want to add some streaming I’ve been stunned at how good the performance can be with a Raspberry Pi and a dac hat. For less than $200 you can have killer sound. I like the Pi 3 or 4 with a Hifiberry Dac running Picoreplayer. Then rip all the cd’s to FLAC and put them on a USB drive or a NAS and your done.

Let us know what you end up with I’m really curious how these perform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d go for the big ones :)
Leaning that way, but I need to hear them in person. May require a road trip to Utah.

If your amp is plugged into the Monster power piece I’d bypass it. Like most 15 amp devices they’re going to limit current. And from what I remember that amp likes current. Great to see someone else still listening to shiny discs. If you want to add some streaming I’ve been stunned at how good the performance can be with a Raspberry Pi and a dac hat. For less than $200 you can have killer sound. I like the Pi 3 or 4 with a Hifiberry Dac running Picoreplayer. Then rip all the cd’s to FLAC and put them on a USB drive or a NAS and your done.
Amp is on it's own circuit at the wall. Most of my discs have been ripped already for mobile devices. I also still play vinyl. I need a new desktop pc and USB turntable to rip my records, but I'm looking at alternatives I can plug my current turntable into. Not sure which way to go. If I had it setup already I could while away about 350 hours of stay at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts