Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm not the only one to have come from one to the other, so I figured I would ask a few specific questions about the Wagon in relation to the SS.

First off, I would assume the ability to load things into a flat floor (seats down) is pretty nice without having to move the front seats and have them slightly raised. Have any of you noticed a massive difference in usable cargo space otherwise?

I use the SS for dog food runs (5-700lbs), and I'm assuming that the wagon won't really like this much weight? Will I be able to put that kind of weight in the cargo area without hurting something? I do feel like that's not too far off from having a couple adults in the back seats and a loaded cargo bay, but I'm just speculating.

I would assume overall comfort is way improved for trips and daily commute. I don't think I've sat in a car with recaros (that I remember). Just the standard seats, but the longer I've had my SS the less I've come to enjoy the rock-hard (imo) seats.

What other things do you miss, or not miss with the change that I might not be thinking of? Any/all input is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I can't speak to the loading/weight question as I have a coupe.

As for the Recaros, it comes down to preference. Some people prefer the base seats.

From my perspective, I found that they take a bit to dial in, but once you take the time to do so they are very comfortable and have taken some long trips with no discomfort. They can be a bit snug if you are of "larger girth" [insert jokes here].

If I were purchasing a V, the availability of the Recaros would be a deciding factor for me.

Good luck!

Reactions: Jon B.

·
Dick Pickles
5,944 Posts
I had a TBSS years ago. If I remember correctly, I sold it to by a 2008 Atomic Orange Z06. The TBSS and the Wagon are two very different vehicles. There is more space in the TBSS mainly top to bottom. But the Wagon is just a better vehicle all around. I have never really loaded a ton in the wagon, but I have taken it on business trips with luggage and a full set of Welds front and rear for extra curricular activities. Oh, and I think I had my fishing gear in there as well. The wagon doesn’t have a ton of room, but it is very usable. It’s no Vista Cruiser, but it is functional. I personally wouldn’t put 700lbs of dog food in the back, but I’m sure it will handle it without a problem.

The Recaro’s are super comfy, but I’m not a big guy. 5’9”/185/30in waist. Bigger people may have a different perspective.

I bought the Wagon to replace my Z06, and that was just shy of 10 years ago. I usually hold onto vehicles about 3-4 years, so that should give you an idea of what kind of car the Wagon is. I love mine!! And so far, it’s been here to stay.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not sure what the stuff I take to the track weighs but we're talking about 4 18 x 9.5 wheels with currently 295 30s on them, a jack that is a full weight steel jack, a set of spare rotors, a set of pads, extra fluids and some tools. I'm not going to go weigh it all but that's probably 500 lbs of stuff, no? It isn't too ridiculously low in the back loaded up when I go to the track. Door label says occupants and cargo not to exceed 948 lbs. It does not show a break down by axle but I would expect the GVW to be with a minimum of 160 lbs per front occupant x 2. I would say 700 lbs in the back is too much just going by my gut there. 500 lbs in the back is ok. Throw a couple bags in the passenger seat? LOL

·
Registered
915 Posts
I've never owned a TBSS but the rear opening of a wagon is annoyingly small and certainly much, much, much smaller than a TBSS. Loading things can be a hassle. I love the car anyway. Longest I've ever owned a car that drives. I've only had one car longer but it became one of those forever projects.

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like the same people buy these cars over and over. My C6Z turned into my TBSS, and now a CTSV will follow that. Also noticed a WS6 in someone's sig, that also was not that long ago for me!

I figured the weight would be too much, we feed raw so I have to buy in bulk. Looks like I'll just borrow a buddies truck for those days. Funnily enough the SS and the wagon are basically identical in length! That extra headroom makes for all the difference I suspect.

As for the recaros I seem to be about the same shape as prdnme, so I should be fine there. Recaro cars tend to be one of the more sought after options from what I gather.

·
Super Moderator
21,515 Posts
TBSS has load leveling rear suspension and upto 7k towing capacity.

I personally don’t think you would have any issues loading 700 pounds in the back, but I would try to load it such that you push it as close to the front as possible.

Yeah, I too had a TBSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBSS has load leveling rear suspension and upto 7k towing capacity.

I personally don’t think you would have any issues loading 700 pounds in the back, but I would try to load it such that you push it as close to the front as possible.

Yeah, I too had a TBSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was going to be my plan if I did load it up like that. Work from the back of the front seats, to the rear of the car.

My SS has Tony's kit on it, so no more bags for this guy. It also rubs with that much weight in it on 22's! If I were keeping it I would swap to kw's and helper bags out back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've put over 2000 lbs of sand in the back of my 9-7X. For the CTS-V, I've almost certainly had the 500-700 lbs you mention in the back of my sedan. Both are likely over the manufacturer's limits, but I didn't have trouble with either.

Tim

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've put over 2000 lbs of sand in the back of my 9-7X. For the CTS-V, I've almost certainly had the 500-700 lbs you mention in the back of my sedan. Both are likely over the manufacturer's limits, but I didn't have trouble with either.

Tim
Awesome! I appreciate the input! Always liked the 9-7x.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. I have two Ford pickups to choose from and prefer the V hands down for anything except lumber. I even raced a kid in a Mustang when this cabinet was strapped in. At the next light his buddy next to him said it was insane that a station wagon with a full load could beat a mustang. I only wish the race had been caught on video. The cabinet is 6 ft tall, 30 inches wide and 20 inches deep. If it had been a foot shorter I would have been able to shut the gate completely.

As for weight assuming you don't have rear seat passengers you'll be fine. I wasn't an engineer on this program but spent 25 years on others when I lived in Detroit and we typically used 6' and 225 Lbs as a typical load per seat. At 700 lbs you'll be fine because luggage weight was also taken into consideration when the car was designed.

·
Registered
TBSS, Corvette FRC, RS 3
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words. I have two Ford pickups to choose from and prefer the V hands down for anything except lumber. I even raced a kid in a Mustang when this cabinet was strapped in. At the next light his buddy next to him said it was insane that a station wagon with a full load could beat a mustang. I only wish the race had been caught on video. The cabinet is 6 ft tall, 30 inches wide and 20 inches deep. If it had been a foot shorter I would have been able to shut the gate completely.

As for weight assuming you don't have rear seat passengers you'll be fine. I wasn't an engineer on this program but spent 25 years on others when I lived in Detroit and we typically used 6' and 225 Lbs as a typical load per seat. At 700 lbs you'll be fine because luggage weight was also taken into consideration when the car was designed.

View attachment 149489
It's pretty amazing what you can fit in cars when you want to get the job done. My wife and I have had a GTI or Golf R for years now and we use them to haul around pretty much anything you can think of. Same deal, you can fit two to three adults in the back plus cargo, so they'll swallow up way more than most people realize.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Get a wider driveway. :)

I had a full load of mulch in the Vagon back when I had the car, plus the whole family. It didn't care at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts