Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently picked up a '12 sedan with about 25k on it, with the understanding that the extended supercharger warranty would cover any issues w/ the SC. I took the car into the only Cadillac dealer in town and asked them to look over the car, including a noise that I'm assuming is the SC. There were several things about the interaction that give me the impression he's going to do his best to avoid warranty coverage of the SC, including telling me that if the car has ever been redlined, the SC warranty is void.

Has anyone been through a situation similar to this? Is the SC warranty really void if the car's been redlined? Am I wrong about being entitled to the warranty coverage?

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like their trying to blow smoke up your ass. My 2011 had 95k on it and the SC was replaced by my local dealer under warranty in June of 2020.
Thanks for the PDF Dave; I suspected as much. He played dumb about the SC issue until I explicitly asked about it, including saying "it's supposed to" when I said it made a noise. When I asked directly "have you dealt with the supercharger issue in these cars before" then he was VERY quick to mention that the first thing they'll do is "pull the data" and "if the car's ever been redlined then thats an exception to the warranty."

We'll see where things go I guess.

·
Super Moderator
21,711 Posts
He is a tool. Get the manager involved. I doubt there’s a redline comment explicitly stated, it didn’t state it on my warranty extension notice I got years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 6M, Recaros, Slicktop, Stock
83 Posts
I'd get my car out of there asap and find another dealer the minute he asked if you redlined it. I had mine replaced 3 times and the last one I didn't even ask for it to be replaced. Go get your car dude before they find shit to charge you for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that's the case it's new. I had mine warranteed @ 90k in 2017 and it has bounced off the rev limiter many times.
This is what I was hoping to hear! I haven't done anything in the car that I haven't seen in a Cadillac commercial and hitting the rev-limiter has nothing to do with the design issues w/ the SC but I was a little worried that GM might be trying to weasel out. Sounds like it's just this dealer.

He is a tool. Get the manager involved. I doubt there’s a redline comment explicitly stated, it didn’t state it on my warranty extension notice I got years ago.

I'll give him a shot at doing the right thing but no matter what I'll be talking to his boss because I don't think it's a great look for the dealership to be starting our relationship off like this. Depending on how this SC thing progresses will determine when I do... I think it'll be soon : |

I'd get my car out of there asap and find another dealer the minute he asked if you redlined it. I had mine replaced 3 times and the last one I didn't even ask for it to be replaced. Go get your car dude before they find shit to charge you for.
Unfortunately, they're the only dealer in town. I'm already on alert to him trying to bilk me because the car has been acting like the fob battery is on its way out and he noticed. When he noticed, he immediately wanted to sell me a fob instead of replacing the battery. I'm not paying for anything other than the oil change I asked for, but I'm afraid you're right about this guy being sheisty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I had mine replaced the dealership didn't know anything about the charger warranty. I showed him a copy of the GM tech bulletin and he said they'd check it out. He called the next day and said they'd get to work on it.

Dealership I went to was Chevrolet but they worked on it no problem. Seems weird your guy is being difficult.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Your better off finding a new dealer.

Or just swap in a solid isolator & forget about it all together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I had mine replaced the dealership didn't know anything about the charger warranty. I showed him a copy of the GM tech bulletin and he said they'd check it out. He called the next day and said they'd get to work on it.

Dealership I went to was Chevrolet but they worked on it no problem. Seems weird your guy is being difficult.
Maybe this is a case of ignorance, rather than malice. We'll see :)

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Jeezus this is messed up. Get away from these morons.

·
Registered
930 Posts
That's the most ridiculous bull shit I've ever heard. Your warranty is void if the car has ever been WOT to a shift point? LMAO. What a fucking ass hole. As someone else said, other GM dealers can work on them. A Buick dealer a friend works at did the two piece rotor TSB on mine when that was a fix for wheel click that turned out to not work. I had already made them stop clicking myself so I needed someone to help me out, enter, friend at a Buick dealer.

I hate dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Agree that the redline comment is ridiculous. It's a performance car and in the end, isn't that what the rev limiter is for? to protect the engine from damage.

When my SC was replaced they never mentioned redlining. As a matter of fact, mine wasn't making noise while running, i was just noticing a knocking sound when the engine was turned off.

I mentioned it to them and within 10 minutes of them pulling it into the bay, they came out and told me they were replacing the blower. I am pretty sure that not enough time elapsed for them to even download the data from the ECM.

I concur that the dealership is clueless.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
Whenever someone in “authority” makes this sort of bullshit claim I always try to get them to reduce it to writing, hopefully in email.
Then you can go about shaming them publicly and pursuing the bullshit up the chain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree that the redline comment is ridiculous. It's a performance car and in the end, isn't that what the rev limiter is for? to protect the engine from damage.

When my SC was replaced they never mentioned redlining. As a matter of fact, mine wasn't making noise while running, i was just noticing a knocking sound when the engine was turned off.

I mentioned it to them and within 10 minutes of them pulling it into the bay, they came out and told me they were replacing the blower. I am pretty sure that not enough time elapsed for them to even download the data from the ECM.

I concur that the dealership is clueless.
This is almost exactly what my thinking was... if GM engineers did their end of things correctly, hitting the rev limiter is meaningless.

Whenever someone in “authority” makes this sort of bullshit claim I always try to get them to reduce it to writing, hopefully in email.
Then you can go about shaming them publicly and pursuing the bullshit up the chain.

I'm planning to point out the portion of the Special Coverage bulletin that says all denials must be provided in writing :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Service writer got back to me about an hour ago, and said "my CTS V tech heard the noise a few times, but it's not as loud as he'd like it to be" and that they're waiting for a call back from someone at the district level to get me a new SC. Not sure what all that's about, but we'll see where things go I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your better off finding a new dealer.

Or just swap in a solid isolator & forget about it all together.
Could you explain the "Solid isolator" fix to a novice?
I have a bone stock 2011 Vagon with just 11K miles, and the SC is just fine, but I am worried that i am on the verge of the 10 year extended warranty. I fear it will go bad one month after the warranty expires!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quick question, my 2011 Coupe warranty expires at the end of June 2021 and I have the rattling. Can I go to any GM dealer for warranty work or does it have to be a Cadillac dealer? The local Cadillac dealer closed and the nearest is 15 miles away. Any input would be appreciated. I have a downloaded copy of the official SC warranty from this site to present to them if needed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts