Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started the dechroming process on V and I know many use plasti dip or trim black to accomplish this. I'm not too keen on plasti dip (I've dipped an entire car before--never again). And vinyl wrapping these pieces wasn't of interest to me. I would like to preface that anyone who attempts this needs to be aware of the health, safety, and environmental risks of removing the chrome vacuum deposition plating from plastic. I used a combination of bleach and water over a span of 7-8 weeks, changing out the solution every 2-3 days. Once most of the chrome/copper was removed, I used a media blaster with a crushed glass media to strip the remaining residue off. I had to haul the chemical waste to a local hazardous waste center for disposal. I likely would not do this again, and I didn't see anyone else who had done this on this forum. I've painted over chromed plastic on other projects in the past and had adhesion problems and flaking.

I talked to 3 different local media blasting companies and none would take on the job due to how much heat is created by media blasting and that they would likely destroy the part. Aluminum oxide at 80 psi did almost nothing to these parts, but I was forced to use my 15 gallon home compressor which could not keep up with the scfm demands of the blasting nozzle. I did find the aluminum oxide prepped the surface of the fender grilles perfectly for painting without the risk of melting them in a chemical dip since they are cast parts (pot metal).

I will be taking all these parts to my painter to have them shot in gloss black and I have 0FX2GV inserts for the crests. I am in process of vinyl wrapping the belt moldings and drip moldings myself, and once everything is done, I'll add some more photos.

Number Auto part Games Metal
Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
17,761 Posts
Dang, 2-3 months to prep?

That's a labor of love!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I've started the dechroming process on V and I know many use plasti dip or trim black to accomplish this. I'm not too keen on plasti dip (I've dipped an entire car before--never again). And vinyl wrapping these pieces wasn't of interest to me. I would like to preface that anyone who attempts this needs to be aware of the health, safety, and environmental risks of removing the chrome vacuum deposition plating from plastic. I used a combination of bleach and water over a span of 7-8 weeks, changing out the solution every 2-3 days. Once most of the chrome/copper was removed, I used a media blaster with a crushed glass media to strip the remaining residue off. I had to haul the chemical waste to a local hazardous waste center for disposal. I likely would not do this again, and I didn't see anyone else who had done this on this forum. I've painted over chromed plastic on other projects in the past and had adhesion problems and flaking.

I talked to 3 different local media blasting companies and none would take on the job due to how much heat is created by media blasting and that they would likely destroy the part. Aluminum oxide at 80 psi did almost nothing to these parts, but I was forced to use my 15 gallon home compressor which could not keep up with the scfm demands of the blasting nozzle. I did find the aluminum oxide prepped the surface of the fender grilles perfectly for painting without the risk of melting them in a chemical dip since they are cast parts (pot metal).

I will be taking all these parts to my painter to have them shot in gloss black and I have 0FX2GV inserts for the crests. I am in process of vinyl wrapping the belt moldings and drip moldings myself, and once everything is done, I'll add some more photos.

View attachment 145827 View attachment 145828
So is the car down the whole time? If so, what other things are you doing?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is the car down the whole time? If so, what other things are you doing?
These are spare parts I bought so the car isn't dismantled right now. I purposefully looked for parts that were a bit used as the plating was weakened and would be easier to strip.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
removing the chrome vacuum deposition plating from plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s called “Physical vapor deposition”, PVD chrome isn’t toxic like hexavalent chrome.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s called “Physical vapor deposition”, PVD chrome isn’t toxic like hexavalent chrome.
I'm in California, everything is toxic here. Pouring the chemical mix down the drain is a quick way to get fined.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Upset? No. Amuse? Perhaps. Baffle? Certainly.

I can see that -- I don't plan to do this again on other vehicles, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I just wish Cadillac had offered blacked out trims like European manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
OEM-ISH Coupe
169 Posts
Absolutely not upset... Unavowed put it best. Baffled! I'll add impressed by the tenacity and patience.

Reactions: suicide_machines69

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you end up painting the stripped parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did, everything turned out great. I don't have any recent photos though since completion.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I'll get some close ups over the holiday weekend and update the thread. Hardest part was striping the chrome, after the plastic was bare, it was regular process of adhesion promoter, primer, base and clear.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts