Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start on the control arm bushings project, but I'm already starting off on a bad note. Found one lugnut has some of it's metal stripped and my 7/8 socket won't fit. Tried forcing it past the stripped metal, but I don't want to make matters worse. Should I try the next size socket or is there another solution?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
The stock nuts have a shell that can separate. I'd hit it with penetrating oil and hammer the socket on, then try to smoothly back it off.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
That lug looks different from an OE lug. I have that style on the kid's OZ winter wheels.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I have had success with getting stripped lugs off using a 1/2 in. 12 point socket that is slightly smaller than the lug. Use a BIG hammer to pound it fully on with an extention on it so you don't knick up the wheel then use a long handle breaker bar to remove it.

Shhhhh - this also works on keyed lug nuts.

Reactions: Karch

·
Registered
371 Posts
you can purchase half size sockets and beat them on to get the metal cover to conform to the nut underneath the metal cap. I bought Gorilla lug nuts and have my factory originals in a bag. Cheap GM making these fake lug nuts that get messed up at the tire shop. Then you get stuck with the damage. I agree with theheder on this one.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Thanks fellas. Finally got it loose. Probably buy a new set, since the lug is all chewed up.
If you don't has Gorilla lugs....this is the prime time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have run Gorillas on multiple cars/trucks. I'm guessing 10 or more sets over time. I love them.

Notes of caution - (1) get a spare key and keep it in the toolbox, (2) do not let the gorillas or yourself use air tools. They can strip the key. Personal experience, and (3) get a spare key and keep it in the toolbox.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts