Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Lsx swap, makes 600 to the wheels sae. The transmission finally gave out after 6 years at that power level. I realistically see this car at 800 - 900hp when all is said and done. Who should I get to build this transmission, or what company makes a good aftermarket one? Does anyone know all of the choices? I keep seeing Tim King, and Circle D. I was hoping that RPM would make one, but apparently not. I also heard Spartan LSX could do it.

·
Premium Member
15,914 Posts
I have a 2009 Lsx swap, makes 600 to the wheels sae. The transmission finally gave out after 6 years at that power level. I realistically see this car at 800 - 900hp when all is said and done. Who should I get to build this transmission, or what company makes a good aftermarket one? Does anyone know all of the choices? I keep seeing Tim King, and Circle D. I was hoping that RPM would make one, but apparently not. I also heard Spartan LSX could do it.
Whomever you pick, make sure you google their shop / name first as this site is a relatively small cross-section of who's out there.

Also, plenty of guys have had the stock transmission live a long and healthy life at your power levels, but the key is in tuning the TCM properly - again everyone has opinions so I'd recommend taking the names you pick up here and doing additional reference-checking elsewhere to fill in any potential gaps from personal biases that get repeated over. And over. And over again.

Then there's things you'll never hear about because people don't necessarily start a new thread about every little thing (or it doesn't get translated over from Facebook groups). Online forums can often behave like High School cliques so you have to filter through the selectivity bias of who's cool on one Forum vs another and why.

Although I row my gears, from what I've read - and I'm sure Evil can elaborate on this - you never, EVER want to try to down-shift under full throttle as that will kill the A6 quickly.

Add "tap tap method site:ctsvowners.com" to your google search list. :)

·
2X 9 second club
11,153 Posts
^what he said.

I ran a stock trans in my 2nd V2 and a Circle D in my 1st V2, and I would do the stock trans over the circle D just because of the cost. the key as said is the TCM tuning. Steve Williams at 6L80Etuning.com is probably the only one I would let tune a 6L90 for me if I ever got another car with one in it.

·
Premium Member
7,119 Posts
Stock replacement and do a TON of research on 6l90e tuning. The tune is WAY more important than upgraded parts at that power level.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tim King!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stock replacement and do a TON of research on 6l90e tuning. The tune is WAY more important than upgraded parts at that power level.
I dont want to go back to stock, even if i plan on staying under 1000 HP. as far as tuning the unit i end up buying, is Steve Williams the best? i cant find his info, and seems like im going to have to pay a fee just to talk with him on his forum. im down here in Alabama and i would like to figure out where Steve is to decide if he would be reasonable to go to. i talked with Tim King and he said he could do the install and tune, but we are really far apart. He said Rick Crawford would be good for the install and tune, but we are still pretty far apart. Then i talked to Rick, and he said he has a friend down here in Alabama can install and tune me up (Adam Cooper of ACE Performance). yall think this is a decent route? or is there a better tuner?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^what he said.

I ran a stock trans in my 2nd V2 and a Circle D in my 1st V2, and I would do the stock trans over the circle D just because of the cost. the key as said is the TCM tuning. Steve Williams at 6L80Etuning.com is probably the only one I would let tune a 6L90 for me if I ever got another car with one in it.
Have you ever heard of Pat G?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should i replace my Stock Torque converter while i have the tranny out? decided im going with a Tim King stage 2 with billet intermediate shaft, going to get ACE to install and tune, and if i have any doubts about the tune, im going to Pat G.

·
Premium Member
7,119 Posts
Should i replace my Stock Torque converter while i have the tranny out? decided im going with a Tim King stage 2 with billet intermediate shaft, going to get ACE to install and tune, and if i have any doubts about the tune, im going to Pat G.
I would replace with another stock unit, no need for a higher stall if sticking with the 1.9l. Already gives the car more than it needs off the line without having more of a shock.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would replace with another stock unit, no need for a higher stall if sticking with the 1.9l. Already gives the car more than it needs off the line without having more of a shock.
Agree with this!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree with this!!!!!!
Is it going to change the drivability of it that much? or what is the negative? im just thinking i dont wanna have to pull the transmission ever again (or for an extremely long time) so why not upgrade? from what ive read a 2600 to 2800 stall should drive like stock. id love to hear yalls input.

·
Premium Member
7,119 Posts
Is it going to change the drivability of it that much? or what is the negative? im just thinking i dont wanna have to pull the transmission ever again (or for an extremely long time) so why not upgrade? from what ive read a 2600 to 2800 stall should drive like stock. id love to hear yalls input.
Guys are in the low 1.3 60' range with the stock stall at 4400#+ and some have touched 1.2 with more cubes and tire. It's not needed man but go with what you want to as it seems you are hell bent on putting a higher stall in just because you are replacing parts. lol

·
Premium Member
15,914 Posts
Have you ever run a higher stall?

You're already traction limited in first gear, IMHO the trade offs (cost, less responsive in normal driving requiring more throttle and more noise) are not worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Rebuilt Trans.
Stock Stall

Your power level will never exceed that unless you go turbo or twins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts