Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a serp system for my 67 'Bird. Was curious what the difference is between using a steel vs a plastic pulley. I found one of each that should do the job

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Idler? Tensioner? rib side of belt? flat, back side? Just curious...I'm sure a modern polymer idler would be alright with a quality bearing inside...the life of the pulley depends largely on the bearing quality.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idler? Tensioner? rib side of belt? flat, back side? Just curious...I'm sure a modern polymer idler would be alright with a quality bearing inside...the life of the pulley depends largely on the bearing quality.
It would be a flat 8 rib tensioner pulley. Your basic Dayco pulley for now.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you have the option of both, why wouldn't you go with metal?

I hate plastic pulleys. I have had a two fail of the years, both by cracking. A metal pulley can fail too, but the failure will be due to the bearing. The same risks exists in a plastic pulley so that's not worth considering, IMO. But metal is much less likely to disintegrate like plastic and that is worth considering.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the option of both, why wouldn't you go with metal?

I hate plastic pulleys. I have had a two fail of the years, both by cracking. A metal pulley can fail too, but the failure will be due to the bearing. The same risks exists in a plastic pulley so that's not worth considering, IMO. But metal is much less likely to disintegrate like plastic and that is worth considering.
Thanks. I was leaning that way. Was just curious of others opinions/experience ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts