Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take a break from the bathroom remodel to start the paint correction on my 12' Black Raven coupe (I should have just stayed in the bathroom TBH). I worked with what I had, no special DA was used, just an older 5" orbital polisher. I bought some extra pads and some Meguiars Compound along with their Polish.

After giving her a quick two bucket wash I clayed the side that I was going to start with (I knew this would be a multiple day ordeal). This car has one of the worst finishes I have ever seen on a black car; I'm starting to think it was washed with ice cubes in the past. These are the swirl marks that are found all over the car:
3.jpg
4.jpg

In 3 hours I was able to get a decent quality finish from the hood and passenger front quarter panel. Each still has minor swirling that I plan to work out some more.
1.jpg
2.jpg

At the end of this project I plan to give her one last polish, clean, then apply a ceramic coating. I am still debating as to which one to use, it is a tossup between CQuartz and opticoat. Suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over the weekend I upgraded to a variable speed 6" DA. Within 10 minutes of buffing with compound I was able to duplicate the quality that I could obtain with the previously used buffer after an hour of use. I managed to get another 4 hours into the car; two front quarter panels and the two doors. I'll post up some comparison pics when I have time.

My cousin has generously offered his time to knock out the remaining panels this weekend as well as do a full body final polish followed by CQuartz UK 3.0

Total time Invested so far: 7 hours

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Over the weekend I upgraded to a variable speed 6" DA. Within 10 minutes of buffing with compound I was able to duplicate the quality that I could obtain with the previously used buffer after an hour of use. I managed to get another 4 hours into the car; two front quarter panels and the two doors. I'll post up some comparison pics when I have time.

My cousin has generously offered his time to knock out the remaining panels this weekend as well as do a full body final polish followed by CQuartz UK 3.0

Total time Invested so far: 7 hours
And this is why the Rupes > Porter Cable.

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
Just used Feynlab ceramic lite. Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
you assume he used a rupes lol
My comment flew right over your head LOL... Not many go from a cheapo Autozone orbital to a Rupes but the difference in a Harbor Freight, PC or older Griots to Rupes is nearly the same as el cheapo orbital to DA entry level. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
Would you recommend it vs the CQuartz 3.0 with half the longevity? I am not familiar with any ceramic coatings yet.
Its rated as a 1 year but reviews say it lasts much longer, it is super easy to install and looks better than gyeon mohs (a higher end DIY coating)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,701 Posts
My comment flew right over your head LOL... Not many go from a cheapo Autozone orbital to a Rupes but the difference in a Harbor Freight, PC or older Griots to Rupes is nearly the same as el cheapo orbital to DA entry level. :)
6" is 6"

I did my car over the summer and laughing the whole time thinking about how a 6" machine might have saved me maybe 15% of labor

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
6" is 6"

I did my car over the summer and laughing the whole time thinking about how a 6" machine might have saved me maybe 15% of labor
Not sure if serious on this pad diameter metric being used...Thats like saying a 1/2" drive impact is a 1/2" drive impact due to the size of its chuck lol.

·
Premium Member
12,701 Posts
no im being serious I used my smaller DA and was laughing to myself that a bigger machine would have saved me very little time

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would absolutely go the Rupes route IF my needs dictated such. In the short term, this is the only car i will be buffing/polishing, my truck does not show scratches and my junker work car is plasti-dipped. If i had the need to maintain the finish of multiple cars then i definitely would have gone that route.

Thanks for the direction @Larry Arizona, i will look into it.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
no im being serious I used my smaller DA and was laughing to myself that a bigger machine would have saved me very little time
The throw and power is what saves time, not the pad size.

A Rupes with a 6" pad will work 30-40% quicker than a PC with a 6" pad, I'm talking DA polishers here and not rotary's and I own both and have used both. Time is money to me and my time whether its on my personal cars or someone elses car is worth a lot more to me than what it seems others value theirs. Keep laughing though, it keeps you healthy and more people definitely need that in their life. Going to see Tom Segura in a couple weeks and I'm stoked! :D

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I would absolutely go the Rupes route IF my needs dictated such. In the short term, this is the only car i will be buffing/polishing, my truck does not show scratches and my junker work car is plasti-dipped. If i had the need to maintain the finish of multiple cars then i definitely would have gone that route.

Thanks for the direction @Larry Arizona, i will look into it.
Crystal Serum Lite is another great consumer coating that is very easy to work with. Another detailing buddy of mine swears by 22PLE as well.

·
Premium Member
12,701 Posts
The throw and power is what saves time, not the pad size.

A Rupes with a 6" pad will work 30-40% quicker than a PC with a 6" pad, I'm talking DA polishers here and not rotary's and I own both and have used both. Time is money to me and my time whether its on my personal cars or someone elses car is worth a lot more to me than what it seems others value theirs. Keep laughing though, it keeps you healthy and more people definitely need that in their life. Going to see Tom Segura in a couple weeks and I'm stoked! :D
ive used both as well, in my previous life I had a detail shop. Back when PC were first being used and clay was the newest thing but those who already knew were just using pneumatic DA sanders with pads attached to them. I still carry those skills into my everyday job and not a few days go by I dont have to polish something.

the point is I would never bully someone to buy an expensive machine or any tool for that matter they may only use once or twice just so they can save 20 minutes cleaning their car. Ive always said get an inexpensive machine, get a feel for it and when you outgrow that look into something better.
Polisher, wrench, nail gun, sanders, spray guns- it all applies some people just dont need pro grade stuff.
You have indicated you polish other people's cars so for you its worth saving a little time but before that polisher came out Im sure you were still doing great work with less.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
ive used both as well, in my previous life I had a detail shop. Back when PC were first being used and clay was the newest thing but those who already knew were just using pneumatic DA sanders with pads attached to them. I still carry those skills into my everyday job and not a few days go by I dont have to polish something.

the point is I would never bully someone to buy an expensive machine or any tool for that matter they may only use once or twice just so they can save 20 minutes cleaning their car. Ive always said get an inexpensive machine, get a feel for it and when you outgrow that look into something better.
Polisher, wrench, nail gun, sanders, spray guns- it all applies some people just dont need pro grade stuff.
You have indicated you polish other people's cars so for you its worth saving a little time but before that polisher came out Im sure you were still doing great work with less.
My bad, didn't realize I was bullying anyone lol. I agree with you on all points but I couldn't go back myself now that I've had the nicer product.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bad, didn't realize I was bullying anyone lol. I agree with you on all points but I couldn't go back myself now that I've had the nicer product.
Their is way too much bullying going on around here :D

It would be similar to buying a CTS V as your high school car then attempting to drive a Camry afterwards?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The following pics are the results from the previously used buffer, ~30 minutes in a 3x3 area. Notice that a lot of the deep swirl still remains.

scratch1.jpg
scratch2.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts