Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve had firearms cerakoted but wasn’t sure that it would handle the sustained heat something like headers or a manifold will have. Have people successfully used cerakote on items like that with long lasting results?
I have seen entire engines coated as well as turbos although i'm not sure why you would. Their air dry coating is rated to 1200 deg.

Reactions: KingColt and Rekkr

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I have seen entire engines coated as well as turbos although i'm not sure why you would. Their air dry coating is rated to 1200 deg.
How much heat does it reduce tho?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reactions: KingColt

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
It says it will cut the heat emitted by roughly 40%
That is a good bit actually. Did you do it yourself or have some one do it?
If you did it did you sand blast all the parts first?

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is a good bit actually. Did you do it yourself or have some one do it?
If you did it did you sand blast all the parts first?

From what I'm reading it helps disapate the heat. So coating the block could be helping to cool the block off.
You do not have to sandblast but if using on used equipment it could help to remove stubborn stains and rust. When coating raw headers I would blast around the welds as that is where rust normally appears first and then use a good degreaser/cleaner, rinse thoroughly blow dry as much as possible. Then with gloved hands hang and prep for coating. It is an "air dry" coating so no baking needed which makes this a coating you can do. I have done all my firearms myself and with thousands of rounds fired and several hundred consecutively, I have had no issues.

Reactions: KingColt

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
You do not have to sandblast but if using on used equipment it could help to remove stubborn stains and rust. When coating raw headers I would blast around the welds as that is where rust normally appears first and then use a good degreaser/cleaner, rinse thoroughly blow dry as much as possible. Then with gloved hands hang and prep for coating. It is an "air dry" coating so no baking needed which makes this a coating you can do. I have done all my firearms myself and with thousands of rounds fired and several hundred consecutively, I have had no issues.
I think I'm going to go with this options. Looks pretty nice and not over priced. $150 bucks for a quart and I'll just have to get a paint gun.
I've been checking out YouTube and they have a coating specifically for headers too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
I sent Huron turbo headers, 2 turbo exhaust housings and both Huron downpipes that were 2 feet long or so, and it was right around $900.
I feel like that is bit expensive for a coating 😬

·
Premium Member
17,233 Posts
I feel like that is so expensive for a coating
We get it. You want cheap - and are willing to sacrifice quality to get it.

Just spray paint the headers black and move on, then. But replacing burnt spark plug wires and sections of wiring harness in the engine bay gets old... lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
We get it. You want cheap - and are willing to sacrifice quality to get it.

Just spray paint the headers black and move on, then. But replacing burnt spark plug wires and sections of wiring harness in the engine bay gets old... lol

Nah I'll be giving cerakote a try, I'll pass on the spraypaint lol. FYI has nothing to do with cheap. I don't want to send them off. An the money would be better spent on other upgrades. Cam or SC porting. Which I plan to do next.
which engine bay wires are you referring, that would be helpful ahead of time. Should be good on plug wires with SW and Accel 5000 wires.

·
Vendor
64 Posts
The headers on my V have been wrapped for a DECADE!!

Zero issues....no headers disintegrating magically from stored heat (stainless steel can withstand a great deal of heat). I think the coating companies start the propaganda of wrap hurting the headers. Now if we were talking about mild steel that can rust where the wrap might hold moisture that is a completely different scenario but none of us reading this thread likely have a set of mild steel headers on their car.

I feel its the preferred method for trying to keep exhaust heat in the pipe aiding velocity and a little bit of power and effectively reducing temps in the engine bay providing obvious benefits in both power (from everything being cooler) and not burning and melting things that might be close to the exhaust

I dare you to try touching a coated header after you shut it down for a minute.....but I can touch my wrapped headers after a minute cool down.

I heard all the same arguments about coated headers in 2012 but didnt buy into any of it....10 years later my coated ARH exhaust is still going strong and looks as good as the day I installed it

Hope some of you find this helpful

-Tony

·
Premium Member
17,233 Posts
That's awesome! Thanks for posting.

Again, my only beef with wraps are oil / fire hazard. Even the fraying and whatnot of the wrap is hit and miss - but it insulates and for that, it works well.

I don't care for the cerakote style coatings at all, though.

The swaintech is remarkably cool even a few minutes after key off. And it's so tough it's not coming off without a grinder. There's nothing in the engine bay I want to touch after a drive - but the swaintech coating is legit amazing. And I say that as a guy who had jet hot style coatings on the first set of headers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
The headers on my V have been wrapped for a DECADE!!

Zero issues....no headers disintegrating magically from stored heat (stainless steel can withstand a great deal of heat). I think the coating companies start the propaganda of wrap hurting the headers. Now if we were talking about mild steel that can rust where the wrap might hold moisture that is a completely different scenario but none of us reading this thread likely have a set of mild steel headers on their car.

I feel its the preferred method for trying to keep exhaust heat in the pipe aiding velocity and a little bit of power and effectively reducing temps in the engine bay providing obvious benefits in both power (from everything being cooler) and not burning and melting things that might be close to the exhaust

I dare you to try touching a coated header after you shut it down for a minute.....but I can touch my wrapped headers after a minute cool down.

I heard all the same arguments about coated headers in 2012 but didnt buy into any of it....10 years later my coated ARH exhaust is still going strong and looks as good as the day I installed it

Hope some of you find this helpful

-Tony
Thank you for posting your experience!
Have you ever replaced the wrap?
I already ordered the cerakote do you think it would work well with the wrap? maybe help protect the headers?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts