Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering wrapping my headers. I don't want to send them off to get coated.

The reason I want to wrap them is to protect my trans and oil cooler lines that will be a very tight fit.

Has any one wrapped stainlessworks headers with success?

Reactions: Blown376

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see. so it's bad all around no matter what it would seem.

I have heat sleeves for my oil and trans lines.
But I'm still worried about the headers burning the lines or heat shields. I have those aluminumized heat sleeves. Picture below but the silver type
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Liquid Gas

Would using some kind of paint or maybe going to a local powder coater be able to do something to help protect the lines?

I'm less worried about the engine bay temps more so about protecting things. And I don't want to have to send my headers off.

·
Registered
2011 cts v coupe
192 Posts
The previous owner wrapped the headers on my car. Had it been my choice I wouldn’t have wrapped them. That being said I haven’t noticed any issues at all with them being wrapped. I’ll report back if I have to take the headers off anytime soon.

Reactions: KingColt

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous owner wrapped the headers on my car. Had it been my choice I wouldn’t have wrapped them. That being said I haven’t noticed any issues at all with them being wrapped. I’ll report back if I have to take the headers off anytime soon.
How long have your headers been wrapped

·
Registered
2011 cts v coupe
192 Posts
Few years now

·
Premium Member
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
324 Posts
I use that same type insulation on my lines, still need to have some positive separation from the pipes regardless. I imagine with 2" headers you are limited on space, maybe consider re-routing if needed. I had to form a new set of break lines to clear my passenger header and double wrapped the electrical common to the starter. I deleted the factory oil cooler and installed an adaptor for the remote and cleared the headers with plenty of separation, have not needed to wrap the oil lines.

·
Premium Member
17,233 Posts
The big negative other than rust is oil absorption

Any oil leaks at all and they'll soak it up and become a fire hazard. IMHO get them coated.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 cts v coupe
192 Posts
When my motor gets pulled the beta wrap will be coming off and I’ll have the headers coated. It’s my preferred way for headers/manifolds

Reactions: mememe123

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could cerakote them yourself or find a dealer that can do it too. I have never used it on headers but I have used it on several firearms.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Swaintech was fast turn around for me, and supposed to be THE coating. I used heat sheath on EVERYTHING under mine too.
How much do they cost on average?
You could cerakote them yourself or find a dealer that can do it too. I have never used it on headers but I have used it on several firearms.
That helps with heat?

·
Premium Member
17,233 Posts
All of the ceramic coatings (Jet Hot, etc) are cheap - for a reason.

IMHO there is NO reason to not use Swaintech. It was just as fast and double the cost - but twice as effective IMHO. I think it was $500 for my 2" headers and mid-pipes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All of the ceramic coatings (Jet Hot, etc) are cheap - for a reason.

IMHO there is NO reason to not use Swaintech. It was just as fast and double the cost - but twice as effective IMHO. I think it was $500 for my 2" headers and mid-pipes.
Jet hot quoted me the same price! I told them no lol.
500 bucks seems kinda high to me idk tho, plus shipping both ways?

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
2011 cts v coupe
192 Posts
I’ve had firearms cerakoted but wasn’t sure that it would handle the sustained heat something like headers or a manifold will have. Have people successfully used cerakote on items like that with long lasting results?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Did you tell jetcoat these were going on a FI car? Verify the warranty should the coating peel/crack.
Yes I told them it was a forced induction car but I did not ask about warranty. Price on regular coating was like 450 plus shipping. And for a color it was like 200 extra.

The Swain looks a lot better for only 50 bucks more. But I don't see myself spending that kinda money on a coating, at least at this time.

I'd rather buy a cam kit for these kinda prices. Coating plus shipping going to be about the same price as a cam kit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts