Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to find some spare time this past weekend and threw on my stainless works CBE I ordered from weapon X during their tax sale. The quality and appearance of this exhaust is second to none, I just wish it was a bit louder. At idle, cruising, and WOT it’s just a hair louder than the OEM exhaust. Anyone else encounter this? I had assumed I was getting the “S tube” mufflers which are supposedly louder than the “turbo” mufflers, but apparently I got the turbo mufflers lol. Any suggestions on what I can do short of going headers and a tune? I wanted to stay away from a tune initially and just wanted an increase I sound. I got that from the Airaid. Slightly disappointed in the SW from a sound standpoint. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Eric,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The corsa cat-backs are generally some of the loudest I'm aware of.

But you're limited by the factory exhaust - specifically the converters. I suspect everything will sound relatively muted with the primary converters in place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Those turbo mufflers are horribly restrictive.
I think RPM did a dyno test on a customer build and lost 150rwhp with those mufflers compared to open cut outs. Then they replaced them with the "louder system" and got the power back. They cut open the old mufflers only to find there is actually no where for the exhaust to flow out, except for the little slits in the tube. Just crazy that a system like that would ever be made.
At about 8 minutes in.

At about 7 min.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The corsa cat-backs are generally some of the loudest I'm aware of.

But you're limited by the factory exhaust - specifically the converters. I suspect everything will sound relatively muted with the primary converters in place.

I’m thinking at this point I should’ve just went with the Corsa Axle back. Was unpleasantly surprised when I fired the car up and it was a small step up from OEM after dropping a G on a cat back. Live you and learn I suppose? Lol
Have there been tests done on them? I’m not doubting you, just wondering.
I think RPM did a synonym test on a customer build and lost 150rwhp with those mufflers compared to open cut outs. Then they replaced them with the "louder system" and got the power back. They cut open the old mufflers only to find there is actually no where for the exhaust to flow out, except for the little slits in the tube. Just crazy that a system like that would ever be made.
If that’s true, that certainly is crazy because there’s absolutely no price difference between them. I thought the turbo system was just meant for pansy’s. I personally like loud exhausts, and this one simply doesn’t cut the mustard. Thought about just dropping the mufflers but I bet that sounds like complete ass.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, RPM couldn't figure out why they lost so much power on a particular car with cutouts closed vs open. It turned out the SW turbo mufflers were the cause.

I've got the SW s tube mufflers (previous owner installed), and I don't like them. They're definitely loud, but they drone pretty bad. Add in my longtubes and it's stupid loud and drone is even worse. Thinking about having the mufflers cut out and just doing resonators instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, RPM couldn't figure out why they lost so much power on a particular car with cutouts closed vs open. It turned out the SW turbo mufflers were the cause.

I've got the SW turbo chambered mufflers (previous owner installed), and I don't like them. They're definitely loud, but they drone pretty bad. Add in my longtubes and it's stupid loud and drone is even worse. Thinking about having the mufflers cut out and just doing resonators instead.
I’m trying to find a cheap alternative to going out and just buying a corsa axle back. Incredibly disappointed with the turbo mufflers. I also would’ve thought ordering from weapon x they would’ve provided the louder mufflers with their catback....wishful thinking. Stainless works offers just the S tube mufflers but then tips have to be purchased and welded on and whatnot....a bit more trouble than I wanted to go through for a bit of sound ?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I’m trying to find a cheap alternative to going out and just buying a corsa axle back. Incredibly disappointed with the turbo mufflers. I also would’ve thought ordering from weapon x they would’ve provided the louder mufflers with their catback....wishful thinking. Stainless works offers just the S tube mufflers but then tips have to be purchased and welded on and whatnot....a bit more trouble than I wanted to go through for a bit of sound ��
I think you should talk with WpnX and see what you can work out as far as return/exchange. They are a solid vendor on here and I never hear bad things about their customer service, matter-o-fact just the opposite. Dont drop that 1k on something new (unless you ball like that) until you talk to them.. (ben i think it is) Keep in mind , that if you plan to mod more ie. headers/test pipes and such it will make a big difference then.. Good Luck.
EDIT: Having watched the RPM video I wouold make sure to atleast ditch the mufflers if thats what they are...

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I’m trying to find a cheap alternative to going out and just buying a corsa axle back. Incredibly disappointed with the turbo mufflers. I also would’ve thought ordering from weapon x they would’ve provided the louder mufflers with their catback....wishful thinking. Stainless works offers just the S tube mufflers but then tips have to be purchased and welded on and whatnot....a bit more trouble than I wanted to go through for a bit of sound ?
Most people here - including myself - enjoy headers with resonators and factory mufflers.

In your case, staying with the factory exhaust I'd first try straight pipes (with decorative tips) and then had short resonators as necessary for taste. That's probably the cheapest option.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Yes huge losses in power on the dyno and huge losses in MPH at the track from these mufflers to open cutouts. That shows those SW mufflers are complete shit because the gain from open cutouts to stock mufflers is 0hp.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the good info gents. I plan on keeping the cat back. I just want the S tube mufflers. I placed emails to both weapon X and stainless works about possibly ordering just an axle back version of them if that’s possible. If not, I can order the actual mufflers through stainless works but then I’ll have to have my cat back welded to them and I was trying to actually stay away from that as I like the ability to be able to put the turbo’s back on for inspection purposes. I live in MA and they are hella strict. Does anyone know the dimensions and pertinent info on the actual mufflers if I were to go that route? Inlet/outlet size?

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it were me I would just replace the SW turbo mufflers with some Magnaflows and keep the rest of the system.
My car had straight pipes when I got it, so I went with these-... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11366 ,there like $81 each at Summit racing. They are small enough that a muffler shop can just cut and weld them in place of you existing ones. They are a straight thru flow, with a nice deep tone, no rasp.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes huge losses in power on the dyno and huge losses in MPH at the track from these mufflers to open cutouts. That shows those SW mufflers are complete shit because the gain from open cutouts to stock mufflers is 0hp.
There is a video of when they cut the SW mufflers open.....its just unreal, go to about 17:00 in.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’m thinking at this point I should’ve just went with the Corsa Axle back. Was unpleasantly surprised when I fired the car up and it was a small step up from OEM after dropping a G on a cat back. Live you and learn I suppose? Lol

If that’s true, that certainly is crazy because there’s absolutely no price difference between them. I thought the turbo system was just meant for pansy’s. I personally like loud exhausts, and this one simply doesn’t cut the mustard. Thought about just dropping the mufflers but I bet that sounds like complete ass.
If you want louder, you should look at the Borla S-type, they are small enough to to cut and weld right in. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40842s/overview/ ,they sound sick but clean.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still waiting on an email back from Stainless works as to if they even offer just the axle back portion for the sedan in the S tube application. I’d rather not have to have a shop cut and weld, as actually having the crap turbo mufflers on hand at my disposal will actually work well in case inspection stations want to fail me. I’d be able to swap them out in a matter of minutes. I live in MA. They just had a complete overhaul of their inspection system and added cameras. It’s basically like CA now. I will cut and weld in new mufflers if I absolutely have to because the sound emanating from my car is worse than stock lol. I’m shocked Weapon X packed those specific mufflers in their cat back to be honest, but that’s on me because I didn’t know the difference between the turbo and S-tube. Hopefully I can figure something out. Thanks again for the suggestions boys. If I end up going that route, I probably will pick up the magnaflows. Really stinks because the SW cat back is such a gorgeous piece, I’d hate to have to hack it all all and weld new tips on and such....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Still waiting on an email back from Stainless works as to if they even offer just the axle back portion for the sedan in the S tube application. I’d rather not have to have a shop cut and weld, as actually having the crap turbo mufflers on hand at my disposal will actually work well in case inspection stations want to fail me. I’d be able to swap them out in a matter of minutes. I live in MA. They just had a complete overhaul of their inspection system and added cameras. It’s basically like CA now. I will cut and weld in new mufflers if I absolutely have to because the sound emanating from my car is worse than stock lol. I’m shocked Weapon X packed those specific mufflers in their cat back to be honest, but that’s on me because I didn’t know the difference between the turbo and S-tube. Hopefully I can figure something out. Thanks again for the suggestions boys. If I end up going that route, I probably will pick up the magnaflows. Really stinks because the SW cat back is such a gorgeous piece, I’d hate to have to hack it all all and weld new tips on and such....
Cali doesn't even care about mufflers now, it's an OBD2 test, plug and pass, only visual to fail would be headers or missing cats. As cutting up your exhaust, I'd be willing to bet the magnaflows would fit close enough to reuse the existing piping and tips, with minor fitting. Here is the polished Stainless version, that would match your current system. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14363/overview/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cali doesn't even care about mufflers now, it's an OBD2 test, plug and pass, only visual to fail would be headers or missing cats. As cutting up your exhaust, I'd be willing to bet the magnaflows would fit close enough to reuse the existing piping and tips, with minor fitting. Here is the polished Stainless version, that would match your current system. -https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-14363/overview/
Those mufflers look like they’d fit the bill. I’d still have to have the axle back piping cut before and welded and then the tip cut off and welded onto the new muffler as they come welded from SW....waiting to hear back and go from there. I may even take a trip down to the local muffler shop and see what they have in stock and what it would cost. Such a jack ass I should’ve just ordered the right system. Now I’m cashing myself, and you guys headaches lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone confirm or deny if these will fit the stainless works cat back? If so I will just go this route and keep the turbos for inspection. Please keep in mind I want this exhaust loud, and I do not do ANY highway driving so drone isn’t not an issue. Thanks in advance gents!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can anyone confirm or deny if these will fit the stainless works cat back? If so I will just go this route and keep the turbos for inspection. Please keep in mind I want this exhaust loud, and I do not do ANY highway driving so drone isn’t not an issue. Thanks in advance gents!
Is your SW system a 2.5" or 3"?
Just measure your mufflers, the inlet/outlet offset placement looks the same as SW system, they should be extremely close since they have to be similar in size just to fit the available area.
This is the Polished Magnaflow 14363 dimensions,

Case Exterior Length (in.):
11.000 in.

Overall Length (in):
17.000 in.

Thickness (in):
4.000 in.

Width (in):
9.000 in.

this an S-tube type, straight thru but with a slight bend for the offset. Although its a small muffler does a good job of sound control, until you jump on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts