Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably not everyones problem but it definitely is for me. I currently have a new Vagon and I purchased it sans front splitter. I want to replace it with one but I already cut it pretty close on my driveway. I've looked and looked for weeks now at all the options and cant decide. Between the Blackmoon, KPE, weaponX, etc etc, im sure there are more out there, does anyone have any opinions on the splitters with the most clearance?

Looking for an aftermarket splitter over the OEM for sure. If this question has been asked, someone please point me in the right direction. If not, please chime in.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The previous owner on my car beat the front splitter to hell.

I ordered the blackmoon and I would say clearance looks to be the same as stockish, with a little more lip. It looks very stout, and you can configure it with a skip plate for wear and tear. If it's carbon fiber look you're after the wrap looks really good too.

Haven't installed yet as it's waiting with some other parts for a full front end re-configuration, but splitter life means being extra careful everywhere, even with the stock splitter.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
As Rob said - not much to be had here other than removing it entirely.

What is your wheel/tire package? There are some guys running around on shorter tires because of an aftermarket wheel/tire setup and wondering why they are catching the splitter on everything. Yes its a little lower center of gravity, but stuff like front clearance definitely get compromised.

I'm running tires a tiny bit larger than stock, and it not only gives you a bit more clearance for a low splitter, but it reduces the fender gap a little, which looks better IMHO.

FWIW - I have a real carbon fiber splitter and it has held up to some pretty harsh abuse surprisingly. But going with a low-cost, replaceable one is never a bad idea. I took a risk getting real CF and have been surprised at how durable it has been.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @rob and @Tri for the input. I'm currently running stock wheels/tires. Right now I have NO splitter and my bumper is starting to show on the corners. I'd rather keep scraping up a splitter than my bumper at this point.

Good point on maybe getting larger tires, what size are you running thats getting you a little more clearance? Wondering if going up to a 20'' helps too?

My last option would be to get some kind of ramp for my driveway entry but I'm sure it would last 1 week before it gets stolen.

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
The APR front splitter adds around 1/4" of actual thickness to the front fascia - which equates to being almost the same as stock since most of us remove the factory plastic splitters when installing it.

The bolts will scrape on angled surfaces depending on how you install it and how much overhang you keep - but even on a lowered Wagon my APR will clear almost every parking block and curb.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm running tires a tiny bit larger than stock, and it not only gives you a bit more clearance for a low splitter, but it reduces the fender gap a little, which looks better IMHO.

FWIW - I have a real carbon fiber splitter and it has held up to some pretty harsh abuse surprisingly. But going with a low-cost, replaceable one is never a bad idea. I took a risk getting real CF and have been surprised at how durable it has been.
I too purchased a real carbon fiber splitter and that poor thing is taking a beating driving through the Houston streets. I went to a Houston Rockets basketball game last week and spent 20 minutes looking for a parking lot that I could go up without smashing my splitter.

I have found that setting the suspension to "Sport Mode" helps a lot with keeping the front end from bouncing so much but I hadn't given any thought to increasing the front tire size. Let us know what size tires you run up front. I have to give that a try otherwise I'll have to sell the current splitter while it's still "sell-able".

Reactions: thirdwson88

·
Premium Member
12,761 Posts
im saying onto YOUR property, not into the street
you need a permit to work on your own driveway?

i think the blackmoon is more like 1/2", its not 1", shoot him a email or message and ask

·
Registered
35 Posts
Black moon products splitter is reasonably priced and it comes with an awesome skid plate. An sal is a solid dude, previous V owner with plenty of testing done. If you want to run a splitter and all I would recommend his for price, customer service and support.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im saying onto YOUR property, not into the street
you need a permit to work on your own driveway?

i think the blackmoon is more like 1/2", its not 1", shoot him a email or message and ask
Yes, I'm pretty sure that is the case. Can't do anything in my neighborhood without city approval. But to your point, I'm going to call and ask and tell them its damaging my car.

thanks for the suggestion, I didnt even consider that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Black moon products splitter is reasonably priced and it comes with an awesome skid plate. An sal is a solid dude, previous V owner with plenty of testing done. If you want to run a splitter and all I would recommend his for price, customer service and support.
Thanks for the input. From all the ones I've seen, this one seems pretty popular and I especially like the skid plate option for my driveway.

·
Premium Member
12,761 Posts
Yes, I'm pretty sure that is the case. Can't do anything in my neighborhood without city approval. But to your point, I'm going to call and ask and tell them its damaging my car.

thanks for the suggestion, I didnt even consider that.
as my cars got lower and lower ( and not even THAT low ) I realized my driveway was a problem, had the apron done so it was less of a drop. was very reasonable basically one day job, I also fanned it out so my wife stopped running over the grass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts