Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Seems we lack information on interchiller systems.

I have an interchiller with stock lid, 3/4 hoses, varimax, norcal style tank and deleted HX. About 2 gallons total fluid volume 75%water/25%coolant

My iat2 before burnout

Iat2 after burnout

And iat2 end of run of 10.26 @134mph (728rwhp, 8.4/2.4, Heads/Cam, stock exhaust manifold)

This works great for me, cruising iat2s are usually 20 or so UNDER ambient. Yes a/c still works as it should, yes you can run both together, yes you can turn off cabin ac to not leak from condensation.

Awesome results and thanks for sharing this information! It appears the interchiller is definitely allowing your car to run at its very best with those low iat temperatures. I can’t wait until mine arrive!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Good stuff man! Does the kit Dave will send me be complete plug n play or will I need to make changes like you did with the sleeves to get optimal results? I have a 1 7/8 reservoir tank and a varimax pump. I will be eliminating my WeaponX HX and just using the interchiller as well.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Alright good stuff man and nice work you’ve done there!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Very nice man. My chiller should arrive early next week, so hopefully I can replicate similar results with my setup.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
The smaller tank did pretty good!

Worst it got was 116f on a hotlap, which is not bad all.

Im guessing in the case of the chiller running a bit less fluid helps the chiller get the volume cooler faster.

So at the track i usually have to leave my car running for a while to keep the chiller temps down with the other tank. With this tank i was able to start it when the lane before us was going and in about 7 minutes my iat2 was in the 60s ready to go.
Great work Jorge, I recommended your setup for a current install that bought the same reservoir kit and Varimax with his Interchiller. Scott is keeping his stock HX and using our bypass kit but I like the pump moved away from heat. Great job on documentation too.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I get for alot of people deleting the HX feels completely wrong, and its their choice if they want to run the extra plumbing to keep it.

But after having it for a while now, HX will become a heatsource. Im protecting my fluid not only from engine heat but even the outside ambient temp because its warmer. So my chilled fluid will go into a HX and heat up amd continue to heat up because my fluid is being warmed by the air passing through it. I get some people dont want to run the ac for longetivity but ive been fine for over a year and guys way longer than me.

The bypass works though to keep it from going to HX but youll see the chiller will be on 24/7 because you want that cold air on the lid :)
After talking with Dave, I decided to mimic your set up a bit by purchasing the Vortech tank to run in synchronization with my existing 1 7/8 reservoir with a varimax pump.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I get for a lot of people deleting the HX feels completely wrong, and its their choice if they want to run the extra plumbing to keep it.
We have offered the automatic HX bypass since 09 but I have been trying to sell everyone on eliminating HX, and that will free up air flow. Now that most are sold on eliminating HX we are recommending our temperature display / controller that adds a whole new concept to Interchiller, go figure. Did you see what I recommended on FB about programming your Compressor controller? What RPM does HPT say the Compressor turns off?

·
Super Moderator
20,871 Posts
We have offered the automatic HX bypass since 09 but I have been trying to sell everyone on eliminating HX, and that will free up air flow. Now that most are sold on eliminating HX we are recommending our temperature display / controller that adds a whole new concept to Interchiller, go figure. Did you see what I recommended on FB about programming your Compressor controller? What RPM does HPT say the Compressor turns off?
Many here don’t follow on FB, so rather than referencing it, perhaps you can include it in your section with a link here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Need a back to back with iced trunk tank vs interchiller

·
Registered
381 Posts
Need a back to back with iced trunk tank vs interchiller
The point in this exercise is to see how well Interchiller will work on very small reservoir and small budget relative to cost of having a trunk tank and Pumps installed. More volume is going to be superior and you can supplement with ice too. But starting with stock system and adding a Varimax, $200 reservoir kit and Interchiller Jorge is doing good enough to not pull timing in ¼ and great on street.

I would delete that too lol

I mean it works and i had it but what i noticed at the track is if you shut the car down for a few minutes and go touch the metal tank its very hot. So now when you start the car your chiller has to cool the fluid down and the metal of the tank that absorbed enine heat. Which takes longer. If necessary you can always add it if you think you need it.

The plastic tank behind the bumper does very well on its own

Lawrence does not have the stock under hood bracket and would still need a fill point.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
The point in this exercise is to see how well Interchiller will work on very small reservoir and small budget relative to cost of having a trunk tank and Pumps installed. More volume is going to be superior and you can supplement with ice too. But starting with stock system and adding a Varimax, $200 reservoir kit and Interchiller Jorge is doing good enough to not pull timing in ¼ and great on street.

Lawrence does not have the stock under hood bracket and would still need a fill point.
Depends on what your goals are. Will it pull timing when ambient is 90+? I care more about the track rather than burnouts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How do you handle the condensation on the tank by the front wheel? Don't the tracks get pissy about that? This is really "cool", hehe.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
George: With your set up are you able to do a long (12-17 second) pull without the iat temperature sky rocketing and pulling timing. I’m just curious as to how this interchiller would do in a mile long event.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I’ve never done a mile long pull from dead stop, well never had a reason to.

But ill tell you this, if you go to “mexico” on the freeway your chiller/lid/tank are ice cold rolling from the air flow the condensor gets. Ive done 40-140mph pull with iat2 starting in the 40f and it didnt get over 100f lol and after it drops back down very quickly ready for another...

Theres really no safe way for me to log a mile long pull though, id imagine it would still be good. To get into a crazy high iat it would still need to heat up the actual lid/brick/tank/and chiller thats in the front away from heat.
Okay, cool! Thanks for clearing that concern up with me. I was under the impression that I needed some large trunk tank for long pulls. I really don’t see myself ever really doing any long pulls in Mexico, but I just want to make sure the cooling system would perform greatly in any driving situation short of a race track with non stop WOT thrust.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts