Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Based on an interview at the 2021 Escalade reveal, Road and Track reported that the president of Cadillac, Steve Carlisle, says the automaker has “no specific plans for that engine.” Though Blackwing engines were hand-built at GM’s plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky, they mated with their respective CT6 chassis in Detroit’s Hamtramck plant. However, with GM’s announcement in late January that the Hamtramck facility will be devoted exclusively to electric vehicles, and with CT6 production already destined to end the same month, the four-cam, DOHC V-8 has no immediate home.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Probably getting yanked from caddy to help propel the next c8 z06/zr1 in higher power variants.

Seems like alot of time and money to invest in a clean sheet engine and then give up. Not sure I buy that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes Im sure large parts of the design will be carried into new TT V8 OEM stuff coming.

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
from a modification and hot rod point of view this engine had potential, wonder how long until someone straps it to a dyno and sees if there is room for improvements
wrapped in an AWD platform for me it makes a great V replacement vehicle

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I could see upper level C8 engines being based on the platform but there isnt really anything else I could see GM using it in. The Trucks and SUVs will remain pushrod or EV.
But the leaked C8 drawings show the TT V8 is not going to be a hot-vee like this blackwing is.

A mid engined car in general doesn’t really work with the hot vee, the engine needs to be shorter and wider instead of taller and narrower to fit between the front wheels.

I would imagine the TT in the C8 will be a different family of engines. But who knows really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Id say the engineers have just as much height if not more to work with on the C8 engine compartment vs the C7...corvettes have been slammed to the ground for a while, with rear engine the rear can be much higher than a traditional hood would allow for aero or styling.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Glad so many seem to hate the CT6V, maybe I can pick one up for 40kish in about....3 years the way people talk it down?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I like the blackwing, cool motor. To bad they spent all that money to kill it and the V line off. Once again lack of leadership from the top. Bring back Bob Lutz for fucks sake, at least he had balls and would be a forward looking thinker to do the unthinkable. Just look at what he did for the Gen2 V's. Coupe, wagon and manuals. Now it is a road to nowhere and for this I fault top leadership.

Looking at the current 6.2 supercharged motor there are not many engines that make that much power that that price point. It's a great motor (6.2 SC), sure the hot V is the new chick on the dance floor for what? To say we have what zee germans have? Big woop. I know it is for emissions purposes to run the turbo's, I'll take NA or SC all day long.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dont understand why Cadillac changed a working recipe. All three generations of CTS-Vs were a success for them. It attracted muscle car guys who grew up and needed a more practical car. The blackwing seems like a waste of money. Sure its more advanced than the LT or LS but more advanced doesnt mean better.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts