Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which way should slotted rotors face? I've seen cars where they faced to the rear and some faced to the front. I've seen some where the driver side faced one way and the passenger faced the other.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Which way should slotted rotors face? I've seen cars where they faced to the rear and some faced to the front. I've seen some where the driver side faced one way and the passenger faced the other.
My R1 slots are all angling to the back.

I think the direction is manufacture related.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I installed mine I did some research on it and did not find a definitive answer if it matters which way they face so I went ahead and installed them facing the front. Gives it a different look.

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
It depends on who makes them- some have internal veins that are directional. However most of the rotors you'll buy are internally straight, thus they can be effectively ran either way relative to the slots on the outside.

IMHO having the slots face forward (angled top to the righthand side of the viewer) is more aggressive looking and the best way.

I put mine on angled to the rear and kind of regret it.. but not enough to pull them off and redo it!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I don't think it really matters. The purpose of the slots is to vent gasses generated by the friction between the pad and disc. When the slot is "working", it's covered by the pad and the direction of the ambient airflow isn't going to matter.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The important thing as Random mentioned is the cooling vanes in the interior if the rotor. They have to be mounted correctly if they are directional.

Reactions: Slizzo

·
Registered
17 Posts
They should face the bottom of a garbage can. They make the car look like a ricer. Put back on the brembos or buy different ones. I buy the 2 piece fronts on eBay from zl1 take offs for $150

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
2,603 Posts
They should face the bottom of a garbage can. They make the car look like a ricer. Put back on the brembos or buy different ones. I buy the 2 piece fronts on eBay from zl1 take offs for $150
There is that opinion.

Myself, when it was time for new brakes, I researched them and found that they are preferred in a wet climate, and with my V being a daily driver in the Pacific Northwest, I went with R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors. They curve towards the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Premium Member
16,478 Posts
My only gripe with R1 is that the casting makes it look like you're running wheel spacers!

Otherwise they have performed well for me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah that is kinda weird, first time I've switched from power stop to run these r1s. They've been good though, not as touchy as the power stops when they get wet or cold.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
My only gripe with R1 is that the casting makes it look like you're running wheel spacers!

Otherwise they have performed well for me.

A friend of mine did the PS after I did my R1s. He had rust showing up on the hub and I still don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thread. My Gen 3 V needs new rotors. Why am I having a hard time just finding the blank rotors? I don't mind reusing the old hats as long as I get new mounting fasteners. It seems like everyone is selling the hat/rotor combo??? I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good thread. My Gen 3 V needs new rotors. Why am I having a hard time just finding the blank rotors? I don't mind reusing the old hats as long as I get new mounting fasteners. It seems like everyone is selling the hat/rotor combo??? I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Talked to a rep from R1. He said they machine them to a L and R pattern, but since the vanes are straight and not directional, it shouldn't affect driving. They just recommend you put them on to their pattern. I ordered the R1 slotted and EBC red pads from Mont Motorsport. The rear rotors were the same and Mont helped me with the replacement. Awesome vendor and customer service. This prompted me to ask about rotor placement. Thanks for all the info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts