Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys...got some Forgestars from Weapon X for the track. 17s rears and 18x5 up front. Any advice when running the skinnies at the track? Now pushing just over 700 rwhp.

·
Registered
448 Posts
McCormack Racing Tires has tires in stock. I just got a pair of 28s and a pair of 26s shipped to me within a week. Also Free Shipping.

·
Registered
148 Posts
McCormack Racing Tires has tires in stock. I just got a pair of 28s and a pair of 26s shipped to me within a week. Also Free Shipping.
I spoke to them last week. They don’t have the 305-45-17 ET Street R I need nationwide back order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ohh...I thought this thread was about skinnies...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys for the late specs. I bought this set up to take to the track Friday nights.

Sportsman 28x6 r18
Mickey Thompson 305/45 17

Just looking for some advice if you've ever run them before. I know steering obviously not going to be the same but with all the grannies on, do they handle ok? Car will be pushing little over 700hp, I'll know today after dyno.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
When and where did you get the tires from? I was thinking of going with the 26” front runner. Can you post pictures when they’re mounted please?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
They'll drive fairly well. Just take sharp curves like you're driving a 4500lb car on a 6" wide front tire. Avoid potholes like the plague. You'll probably want to run 50 psi in the front tires. They'll look flat at less than that and won't protect the wheel if you do hit a pothole. The MT's are rated for a max inflation of 50 psi, verify on the tire if you want.

In the rear, play with tire pressure at the track. The more pressure you can run, the faster the car will go (marginally). Start at 22 and go down until it hooks. Mine has been 1.42 60' on 21psi.

With a 28" front you may be ok with the traction control. If the car surges and bucks on decel, it's because the tire size is too much of a mismatch and you'll have to turn off TC.

Turn the traction control and stabilitrack completely off at the track. The car might spin slightly on shifts and it will set of the TC and slow you down.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually shit I just realized I meant to order 26x6s! Grrrrr.... Anyone kkow if the fitment will still be ok or swap them out for 26s?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think 28” fronts are too tall especially if you’re lowered. That’s why I wanted to see pictures of them mounted on the car.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think 28” fronts are too tall especially if you’re lowered. That’s why I wanted to see pictures of them mounted on the car.
Actually now I'm hearing 28s are fine if not better, same size that Camaro run. I'll see if I can mount them over the weekend and send a pic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I ran 28s for about a week. everything was fine, had a little bit of rubbing. And then I hit a little pot hole while turning....Now I need a new fender. My car isnt lowered either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ran 28s for about a week. everything was fine, had a little bit of rubbing. And then I hit a little pot hole while turning....Now I need a new fender. My car isnt lowered either.
26s it is! Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
26s it is! Thanks for the input.

Yup thinking the same thing. Wondering how much difference there is when going down the track?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be running 17s at the track in the rear, of course more side wall, more krinkle. But I was more worried up front, if steering is that more difficult. I know it would be tricky to correct the car if it decided to go in another direction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That sucks! I have 17x4 with a 28" tire. Haven't put them on yet. Hopefully that doesn't happen to me

·
Registered
148 Posts
You folks run tpms in your drag packs? I’m thinking no point since rears will always be deflated anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts