Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Single Hellcat Pump in 09 CTS-v

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  rpol78 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am just buttoning up my 2009 CTS-v. Ill list the mods below, they are very basic. Looking to make around 650whp. I would really like to utilize E85 but I don't want to have to incorporate a whole new fuel system. I'm pretty sure I could probably just stretch the current fuel pump, but I was hoping to build in a little safety. I see you guys; dual and triple pumps are really popular here. The stock pump apparently moves 304lhp of fuel, while a stock hellcat pump moves 525lph. Has anyone just swapped out their V pump for a Hellcat pump?

Stock Heads w/ Dual Springs
GP Tuning Stage 2 Cam
Lower IW crank pulley with 10.0 ring
ZZperformace heat exchanger
Pierburg Pump
Off brand HX tank
ID1000 Injectors
Longtubes w/ stock Exhaust
NW102 Throttle Body
Fasterproms Intake

#5 · (Edited)
First, I don’t know the answer to the question but i’ll throw out a thing or two that are worth considering:
1. It is a likelihood that your V has a leaking cracked fitting on top of the fuel pump module in the tank, known as the “fuel hat” and of course, the “fuel hat repair” which is a known issue that hits almost every gen 2 V. That issue will likely figure prominently in your fuel pump plans.
1a. The accepted best practice for repairing the leak is to replace the oem hat with an ALM billet hat.
1b. There is a superbly crafted write up in these pages of a process to affect a repair of the fitting only… but even the author of said write up eventually swapped to the ALM hat due to a recurrence of the leak.

2. While a massive high-capacity single pump seems like a great idea for simplicity’s sake, there are reasons for using multi-pump setups.
a.) A single pump has to run All The Time… so that typically means big pump noise, vibration, current draw and big pump HEAT… ALL THE TIME, even just idling in the drive-thru or whatever. Warming the fuel is something to avoid(!) pump life will suffer and tuning can be effected.
b.) dual or triple pumps can be staged, operated by a Hobbs switch, allowing the extra capacity/noise/vibration/ current draw/ heat to only happen when they won’t be noticed, anyway, (under boost) and WOT.

#9 ·
If you already have aux system, just do DW drop ins with alm hat, or one of many other pump options for the V. Some of the "drop ins" will require re-wiring due to higher amp draw. Pretty much what Lt1z is saying.
Also, your pumps might be fine, and just loosing pressure due to the elbow leak that you don't see.

#15 ·
There are a few commonly
employed pump upgrades mentioned in the thread, that are known quantities with well established performance histories and the top o the heap seems to be the Fore! system like what I am running.
Given the wealth of info and history available on these known setups, why are you hung up on insisting that you run the Hellcat pump?
Clearly, it can be adapted, but why would you? Just gotta have that name in your tagline? “ yeah, she’s got a hellcat pump in her”

#17 ·
My question on how much hp the 525lph pump can support is a not for a CTSV. I'm building an LSA "396" (Kong 2650, Callies/JE rotating assy, LS9 block/heads) for a '67 Chevelle and have a Tanks Inc. fuel tank. The problem is that only 1 pump will fit through the opening in the tank and the largest is the 525lph unit which barely fits through the hole. It looks like I'm going to have to get a Rick's tank to support dual pumps to run E85. I do appreciate the insight on running larger pumps vs multiple smaller pumps. Also for my build I'm planning on running PWM to control the pumps.

With that said I didn't mean to take the discussion off the rails and apologize for that. I like this forum because the members here have more knowledge and have pushed the LSA platform further than any other forum I've been on.

#19 ·
I highly recommend a Rick’s tank with dual Walbro 450’s (or dual Hellcat 525’s, if you needed them). On another car, I also was limited by the diameter of the fuel tank lid. Rather than hack up my old tank, or better yet: add a pump in bucket fuel tank; I decides Rick‘s had the best solution for that particular car.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gas Circle
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Car
Fluid Gas Engineering Auto part Fashion accessory

#23 ·
there is this pump but its not cheap but it is a high flowing single pump with controllability

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.