Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I remember reading a thread someone posted about concerns with buying a new car and he thought the previous owner hit something because the lower control arm bolt looked like it had shifted from its original spot. I've been getting a clunk over bumps like something is loose, and after looking around yesterday I noticed the lower control arm bolt had moved from its original spot just like this guy said. The passenger side bolt looks right in place, its the driver side that is shifted. Anyone seen this or think it could be the cause of my clunk sound. maybe its loose? Going to try and fix it this weekend....thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
The torque spec for that bolt is critical. The torque spec is also 236 ft-lbs! I don't think most people even have a torque wrench that reads that high. It also seems that a large number of alignment places don't check the torques on the bolts after adjusting the camber when doing an alignment. Even if you make the bolt "really tight" you aren't going to hit 236 ft-lbs without really trying. 236 ft-lbs is fucking tight. So, what happens, car gets an alignment done, shop doesn't torque the bolt. The joint slips. You can certainly get a clunk from this. This will also throw your toe off in addition to your camber and wear the shit out of your tires.

It is possible that you can see a witness mark from where the bolt used to be because the camber was adjusted and hasn't moved since. Check your toe, if you have a tire with a circumferential groove, a friend and a tape measure you can do this. If you don't have a tire with a circumferential groove you can use a board or something across each tire. If your toe is off you're going to need an alignment before checking the torque on that bolt. If you're toe is ok you can try torquing that bolt and see if your noise goes away.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Look in the suspension section. If it has been aligned it coul be just normal movement marks from that. Need more info on the car like any mods, clunking is normally the upper shock mounting bolt loose or the shock itself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post a picture of it later today, and also check in the suspension section. It's a 2012 Coupe bone stock. Recently I replaced the shocks and upper control arm bushings. I need to go in and re-tighten everything but I was getting this clunk before I changed those. Thats why Ive been looking around at the lower control arm now and the bushings down there. Im not much of a mechanic but I can figure things out. Ill admit Ive never done an alignment so the way this bolt looks like it has moved from the original spot could be normal...just thought it wasnt because the passenger side doesnt have any signs/wear marks that it has shifted from the original spot. Thanks for the advice I hope I can find this clunk because even though ive never rode in another V this definitely didnt come from the factory sounding like this :mad:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey guys, I remember reading a thread someone posted about concerns with buying a new car and he thought the previous owner hit something because the lower control arm bolt looked like it had shifted from its original spot. I've been getting a clunk over bumps like something is loose, and after looking around yesterday I noticed the lower control arm bolt had moved from its original spot just like this guy said. The passenger side bolt looks right in place, its the driver side that is shifted. Anyone seen this or think it could be the cause of my clunk sound. maybe its loose? Going to try and fix it this weekend....thanks
Check your shocks too. They are a somewhat common to go after these cars see some mileage. And they can clunk.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The front lower bushing tends to leak over time. If there is a bushing issue it could cause a clunk so checking those is a good idea as well. There are a lot of suspension items that if there is an issue could result in a clunk. If you've never had an alignment done and you cna see the lower rear bolt has moved that joint would seem to have slipped for sure. Don't drive too much with that moved because it will mess up the toe and eat tires. The bolt moving wouldn't really be normal. It should move. But the slotted hole for camber adjustment makes the joint difficult.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts