Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new owner of a modded 2011 CTS V. I've read repeatedly that you want to make absolutely sure the car's tune is dialed in and since I'm now the second owner removed from who did the tune, I'd definitely like to get one done. The car has a BTR stage 3 cam and has great drivability but the main desire for the tune is to back off the pulley ratio the car has (3.97) to something more reasonable like 3.70 or so to protect the blower.

Well I called a shop local to me that is apparently THE shop you want to take your car to- a 200 plus mile drive for me- and they won't tune a car without cats. I haven't been under the car yet but have been told it's 3 inch pipe coming off the headers all the way back to stock mufflers.

So my question is what is my absolutely cheapest option to get some cats in the car for a retune? I've seen some cheap cats on autopart store parts listings like Advanced but am wondering if there's a downside to going that route? I just know I really don't want to pay over a grand for a catted x pipe solely to get a tune from the shop of my choice.

The previous owner also mentioned a guy really good about mail order tunes on a CTSV Facebook group. I'm not opposed to that if its the best solution but it doesn't sound like a good idea with a heads/cam/intake/ pulleyed and full bolt ons car.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd sincerely appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Pat G does remote tuning as is a very respected tuner in this community. You'll need HP Tuners in order to remote tune.

If you're slowing the blower down, I wouldn't think you really need a tune as the current tune should have you covered but know where you're coming from. I would probably do the same sine Pat does adjustments for a very reasonable fee.

I can't give you any guidance on cats unfortunately.

Reactions: MYV and jcs003

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
475 Posts
Stainless Works has Random Tech cats in the exhaust I have from them. They're really small.

Magnaflow and even Flowmaster show 3" cats on Summit for around $100 each.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pat G does remote tuning as is a very respected tuner in this community. You'll need HP Tuners in order to remote tune.

If you're slowing the blower down, I wouldn't think you really need a tune as the current tune should have you covered but know where you're coming from. I would probably do the same sine Pat does adjustments for a very reasonable fee.

I can't give you any guidance on cats unfortunately.
I'm almost positive Pat G is the guy that was mentioned. You know how much it is offhand?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had a similar problem with my V1.

I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a couple of cats for a GM truck that used the LS6/LS2.

Here in Calif you have a twofold problem.

1. Passing emissions by a tail pipe sniff.

2. Visual. This can be the shits as Calif has a book that lists the cats that are "approved" for each car, no shit! So if the #'s on the cats don't match up with the book, the tech can fail you on the visual even if you are "clean" on the sniffer.

My installer told me there was no guarantee I would pass, but the car sailed through inspection and I didn't have to worry about the cats falling apart.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
It's been a few years since California did away with the tail pipe sniffer for OBD2. My V2 never got it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I sold my V1 about a year after I did all the work to make it smog "legal".
However for the first 6 years of ownership (exempt from smog check) it was a hoot.
B&B full up exhaust with no cats, and no resonator.
LOUD!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’m curious if it was same shop I am going to? I was told same thing, wanted to do headers and no cats to corsa but was told they wouldn’t install the system without cats and would not schedule a tune either. They use pat g as their tuner which is why I want to use that shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m curious if it was same shop I am going to? I was told same thing, wanted to do headers and no cats to corsa but was told they wouldn’t install the system without cats and would not schedule a tune either. They use pat g as their tuner which is why I want to use that shop.
Heintz Performance Racing.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It's been a few years since California did away with the tail pipe sniffer for OBD2. My V2 never got it.
I don't think any one sniffs anymore. The OBD system is capable of determining if the engine emissions are in-spec. They just hook up to the port and ask the ECM. Which is why they inspect for modifications to the emissions system, to be sure nothing's being "spoofed".

·
Registered
676 Posts
I personally don’t understand why they won’t touch the car without cats. You’re asking them to tune it not inspect it.

I would leave it as is and take it elsewhere or have someone remote tune it for you. Now if you do desire to have cats installed then that’s adifferent story.

I used Pat G for my V and took it to the shop he works out of. On the other hand my Hellcat was tuned remotely by a different tuner. That tuner told me that he prefers street tuning vs dyno because it simulates real world driving which the dyno can’t replicate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A shop in NC that won't tune a car without cats? sounds un American. I would roll right past that shop find someone that will. Remote with PatG will also learn you a little about HPtuners which won't hurt at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts