Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep randomly getting a “service steering column lock” message on the DIC, but every time when I restart the vehicle it does not pop back up. It has happened about 8 times in the past 2 months. Went to the dealer, but of course they could not duplicate the issue so they did nothing about it. Doesn’t seem to affect drivability but I noticed it prevents me from remote starting the vehicle. So more of an annoyance at this point. Car has less than 4000 miles. Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Seems like it would be a sensor or wiring issue in the steering column.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Back when GM introduced this kind of motor-driven locking scheme on the C5 Corvette, this error message was sometimes accompanied by the steering wheel refusing to unlock when starting the car. At a few drivers experienced the opposite - the wheel locked on them while the car was in motion. I took my steering wheel apart and removed the pawl so the column could never lock. About 6 months after I did that, GM issued a TSB telling Dealers to do the same thing. Gotta think they've addressed those kind of issues in the intervening 25 years, but still... I'd go back to the Dealer and ask them to sign off on it not being a safety concern. Maybe motivate them to actually figure out the problem rather than just hand wave.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and if they can’t take care of it, go to another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and advice guys. Ya I’m going to take it back to the dealer before my factory warranty runs out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts