Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE: I asked point blank if the mechanic shop was under new ownership and it IS! I'm starting to question if I'm getting the run around now.

They determined that the air conditioner issue was because the fan was not plugged in (which they wouldn't admit to doing while replacing the alternator). As for the intermittent Service Power Steering notification, I now have a constant loss of power steering. Also they have somehow figured out a way to manually turn off Stabilitrack and Traction Control. It's the first notification when I start the vehicle.

According to the mechanics, they still believe a faulty EBCM is the culprit and that the new alternator was going to need to be installed anyway so I'm out the $1000 they charged me for the parts and labor on the alternator. They want me to provide the EBCM replacement part and their quote for just installation and programing is $750. I live in rural AZ and called a few shops in Vegas (its an hour away). Three different Vegas mechanics quoted me under $350 for the installation and programing if I provide the new EBCM.

I know relatively little about cars. Do you think I'm getting the runaround from the new owners of my formerly reliable mechanic shop? I appreciate your guys help and input.

·
Registered
'14 Coupe
467 Posts
Alternator is pretty easy to do. I think I got it down to ~1hr or less. There are videos, and posts on here with instructions. In the days if google searches and youtube how-tos, nothing is really hard.
I got 250A alternator from powerbastards for $445 with no core charge. So far so good. My previous (2nd) OE only lasted a year.

So if you buy your own part, you'll most likely save $500+ and I would hold on as far as BCM goes and see if this + proper grounds fix the issue.
I believe there is also a post on here on how to DIY programming the BCM.

Have you checked voltage at the alternator ?
You should be able to use the red (battery like terminal) on the fuse box, under the hood, and a ground (or alt itself). I can't remember the output, but If I remember correctly it should be over 13.5v.
And again, any confusion, and you can just YouTube search how to check alternator 🤙

41 - 42 of 42 Posts