Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you receive the "Service Power Steering" warning in the DIC, it may be your alternator that's the problem. Scroll in the DIC for volts and if it reads below 14v, the alternator is likely the culprit. I had this Service Power Steering message with a little groaning from the pump and firmer steering last weekend and I was ready to replace the power steering pump. I searched for this issue and found a few threads here that said to check the voltage first because it could be the alternator. Sure enough, I was 13.X at speed with it dropping to 12v at idle. I knew 12v wasn't right so I monitored it for a few days and voltage was reading from 11.6 to 13.5v. I ended up replacing the alternator and now the message is gone, the steering it back to normal and voltage is above 14v at idle.

From one of the other threads, if voltage falls below a certain point, the computer cuts voltage to the steering system to save on power. The cut in power triggers the "Service Power Steering" message instead of "Check your effing alternator!"

I had to dig through various posts to get this info. I'm making it it's own post so others can find it easier.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Same happened to me and a new alternator fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I had this issue on my Chebby 1500 when I let the battery run too low when listening to the radio over a couple of hours in the driveway. When I went to start it, it was a tad slow to turn over and the DIC said Service Stabilitrak and Service trailer braking system. After driving it for a half hour or so and then parking it, the messages went away on the next restart.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What if you have an 09 with a power steering pump? I get a message that says "Park assist deactivated" or some such after I deactivate the TC and spin the tires. A chime comes on too. I think the power steering belt is slipping and that puts the traction control back "on". Pisses me off because I can't do a real burnout with the car. I just got back in town and am hoping to get this sorted out soon.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
What if you have an 09 with a power steering pump? I get a message that says "Park assist deactivated" or some such after I deactivate the TC and spin the tires. A chime comes on too. I think the power steering belt is slipping and that puts the traction control back "on". Pisses me off because I can't do a real burnout with the car. I just got back in town and am hoping to get this sorted out soon.
Park assist are the sensors in the rear bumper that let you know when your F'in to hit something my man.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I figured out the problem. It was the ground underneath my AirRaid. If you get anything like this garbage on your dash it may be this ground or perhaps an engine ground. I took apart my AirRaid and lo and behold the bolt wasn't even there. I put a new bolt in with Locktite and dialectric grease and voila! Problem fixed. Nothing turning up on the dash and I can haze the tires at will. Very happy! Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you receive the "Service Power Steering" warning in the DIC, it may be your alternator that's the problem. Scroll in the DIC for volts and if it reads below 14v, the alternator is likely the culprit. I had this Service Power Steering message with a little groaning from the pump and firmer steering last weekend and I was ready to replace the power steering pump. I searched for this issue and found a few threads here that said to check the voltage first because it could be the alternator. Sure enough, I was 13.X at speed with it dropping to 12v at idle. I knew 12v wasn't right so I monitored it for a few days and voltage was reading from 11.6 to 13.5v. I ended up replacing the alternator and now the message is gone, the steering it back to normal and voltage is above 14v at idle.

From one of the other threads, if voltage falls below a certain point, the computer cuts voltage to the steering system to save on power. The cut in power triggers the "Service Power Steering" message instead of "Check your effing alternator!"

I had to dig through various posts to get this info. I'm making it it's own post so others can find it easier.
Just wondering why is it that the alternator doesn’t effect anything else but the power steering? Wouldn’t it stop charging the battery as well ? I have the same problem with the power steering service light ? Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Look at voltage in the DIC and see what it is charging at. Could be that it isn't low enough "yet" to turn on the battery light. Does it make a whining noise when you turn?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look at voltage in the DIC and see what it is charging at. Could be that it isn't low enough "yet" to turn on the battery light. Does it make a whining noise when you turn?
So my voltage goes down to about 12 at idle and while driving it goes up to 14+ I have no squeaking or noise as if my power steering pump was broke sometimes I drive and I have no issue then I start the car and the light is there

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wondering why is it that the alternator doesn’t effect anything else but the power steering? Wouldn’t it stop charging the battery as well ? I have the same problem with the power steering service light ? Thank you
Read my quote below:

So my voltage goes down to about 12 at idle and while driving it goes up to 14+ I have no squeaking or noise as if my power steering pump was broke sometimes I drive and I have no issue then I start the car and the light is there
Voltage at 12v tells me it's the alternator. Swap it and go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Read my quote below:

Voltage at 12v tells me it's the alternator. Swap it and go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Appreciate the knowledge.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
83 Posts
I figured out the problem. It was the ground underneath my AirRaid. If you get anything like this garbage on your dash it may be this ground or perhaps an engine ground. I took apart my AirRaid and lo and behold the bolt wasn't even there. I put a new bolt in with Locktite and dialectric grease and voila! Problem fixed. Nothing turning up on the dash and I can haze the tires at will. Very happy! Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the info!
I just put in a airaid last weekend and am now having this problem.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Why would you skip installing this bolt??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts

What codes were you getting?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts