Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, this kind of scares me. I'm so hard of hearing, I won't notice anything until the diff spits out on the highway.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ok, this kind of scares me. I'm so hard of hearing, I won't notice anything until the diff spits out on the highway.
Yeah same here, paired with a very obnoxiously loud exhaust note to boot. Can't hear shit else

·
Registered
155 Posts
What happened?
I have another thread on the issue but long story short. Diff was replaced, started whining again two days later, gm told dealer to have me drive it 500-700 miles. I had it a week or two after that and pulling through an intersection in the rain I had a loud bang from the rear then clunk clunk clunk and the car would barely move. Currently sitting at the dealer waiting to hear back on what happened. Assume something with a rear axle but can't be certain.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have another thread on the issue but long story short. Diff was replaced, started whining again two days later, gm told dealer to have me drive it 500-700 miles. I had it a week or two after that and pulling through an intersection in the rain I had a loud bang from the rear then clunk clunk clunk and the car would barely move. Currently sitting at the dealer waiting to hear back on what happened. Assume something with a rear axle but can't be certain.
Damn dude, bad luck. I have been abusing my rear diff a lot lately and no problems so far haha. I burned by rear tires down to the belts on 4th of july doing donuts lolol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Damn dude, bad luck. I have been abusing my rear diff a lot lately and no problems so far haha. I burned by rear tires down to the belts on 4th of july doing donuts lolol
That makes me sad. Car is bone stock and I haven't done a burnout in it since owning. I'm pretty docile with my cars and rarely do much heavy footed driving unless I am passing someone on the interstate or an occasional romp on the gas when I have someone who has never ridden in a car like this before. After the diff swap I babied this car like no other and I still got dick punched.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Waited 6-7 week for the new diff. Was told by parts manager some sort of a revision. Came with old part no. 20931063, so no change in part no.. Only driven 40 miles quiet so far. Will do the 500 mile break in and hope this helps. Mine had pinion bearing noise when letting off gas and at the end roaring noise at 50-60 mph very loud. Parked it after the roaring noise started. With diff on ground and hand turning there was way to much free play in it. Drained it lots of metal flakes w/ only 250 miles on fluid. Track soon!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The dealership has my new one but I haven't scheduled an appointment yet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Waited 6-7 week for the new diff. Was told by parts manager some sort of a revision. Came with old part no. 20931063, so no change in part no.. Only driven 40 miles quiet so far. Will do the 500 mile break in and hope this helps. Mine had pinion bearing noise when letting off gas and at the end roaring noise at 50-60 mph very loud. Parked it after the roaring noise started. With diff on ground and hand turning there was way to much free play in it. Drained it lots of metal flakes w/ only 250 miles on fluid. Track soon!!
If the part number didn't change there is no revision. But do yourself a favor and change the fluid after the 500 miles. And avoid steady speeds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the part number didn't change there is no revision. But do yourself a favor and change the fluid after the 500 miles. And avoid steady speeds.
That's my plan 500 miles of back road driving. Then change the fluid. Not sure if I will do the GM FLUID or Red Line 75-110. Interesting side note. My wife has a 2011 Dodge Charger w/ 60,000 miles on it. Getting ready to change rear diff. fluid .It calls for a GL5 75-140 full synthetic. This was the first year the charger had an independent rear.75-140 seems heavy, always thought that was more for an HD truck application than a car. Does Chrysler know something GM does not?? Rear end is very quiet w/ 60,000 miles although it is 3.6 not a v8.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My diff was replaced, no noise with the new one. Yet. We'll see.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine is still noisy. Dealer and GM said it's normal so I am dealing with it best I can. Whine from 52mph-57mph right now which 3/4 of my daily commute is in a 55mph zone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Replaced mine about 1.5 months ago. Fluid changed to redline 75-110 after 500 mile break in. About 1000 miles now and 5 track passes still quiet so far!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Part of what I do for work involves reliability modeling. For one V2 owner to have 3x Diff failures, almost *every* V2 owner should have a Diff failure. The statistics demand it.

If the rate of failure is, say, 1%, meaning 1 out of every 100 V2 owners will experience a Diff failure, the odds of one owner having 2 failures is 0.01*0.01=0.0001 or 1:10,000. For 3 failures the odds are 0.01*0.01*0.01=1:1,000,000. Say Cadillac has sold 20,000 V2s. 1:1,000,000 odds with only 20K actual units makes the odds of one owner experiencing 3x failures in a row something like 1:500,000,000. Those are really long odds. The OP is experiencing a 100% failure rate. If each Diff he's gotten is bad, there must be many, many more bad Diffs out there to make the odds more "reasonable".

There's something else going on with the OP.

In 1985 I had a SVO Mustang. 2.3L Turbo with 18Lbs of boost. The car was a blast to drive. But it shit the turbo after about 10K miles. Replaced under warranty, failed again. Replaced under warranty, failed again. Replaced under warranty, failed again. I sold the car with 18K miles on it. Figured out later that the problem wasn't that the Turbo was unreliable (a Garrett, not some crappy Ford design). The problem was the Tech who replaced the Turbos didn't know what he was doing. He never pre-oiled the new Turbos, he just hooked them up and started the car. So he basically wrecked the bearings immediately.

Three bad Diffs in a row, I'd be looking for someone else to install the 4th.
yeah...or maybe something else is causes the diff to fail. GM diffs have long been the weak point in their performance cars but I'm with you. I'd take it to a talented performance shop and have them check the diff and parts around it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine is still noisy. Dealer and GM said it's normal so I am dealing with it best I can. Whine from 52mph-57mph right now which 3/4 of my daily commute is in a 55mph zone.
Some noise is back after about 1400-1500 miles and 16-18 track passes in the 10's. Nowhere near as bad before I replaced it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My diff was replaced, no noise with the new one. Yet. We'll see.

My noise is back too. Only first few turns under acceleration after sitting overnight.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Im on my 3rd at 20000 miles, the second made noise leaving the dealership..The new one is silent! It only has 500 miles on it so far, we will see how it sounds after a few 1320s with stickies..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced mine about 1.5 months ago. Fluid changed to redline 75-110 after 500 mile break in. About 1000 miles now and 5 track passes still quiet so far!
A.R.... you might wanna add some "friction reducer" to your rear diff fluid after changing to Redline. I replaced mine and it started binding on a hard left turn. The friction reducer solved it. Regular Rear diff fluid has it in it already but the ROYAL PURPLE I used did not for some reason.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts