Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 V Sedan Auto with 31K miles. This car has not been abused much as my wife drives it a few miles to work and back. My current Differential makes a whining noise at 51 mph to about 57 mph. I am on my 4th rear diff. I took it to my Cadillac Dealer today 6/27 and the Service Manager said we are waiting on a revised version differential. I asked what they did to fix the whine and he said something about a "Spacer." I drove my V home and will deal w/ the whine till the new Diff comes in. Has anyone else heard about GM modifying the rear differentials to make them stop whining? Thanks

Westy

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't think too many people have gone through four diffs in 31k miles, but to answer your question no.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm waiting on the dealer to get my 3rd diff. The lady I talked to on the phone last week didn't have good details, but essentially said GM was making some revisions and it'd be in after July 4th.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Interesting, I recently had both axle seals replaced due to leaking and still have a very faint whir or whine at all speeds. Is a faint whirring sound enough reason for warranty replacement or is that a dealer judgement call?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Diff only makes a faint noise/whine from 51-57 mph. It is might not enough for a non-motor geek to notice, but to me it is definitely noticeable, annoying and not mechanically correct. My Dealership has not hassled me about getting it changed. Because I feel like they take care of me, I just bought a 2017 Escalade from them.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
I have the sound when I make slow turns, (especially when it's cold). I got the newest fluid and "thought" I topped it off, but it still happens. I also get Traction Control warnings if I even mildly get on it to pull out into traffic, which is scary as hell sometimes because it drops the power so much that I have to pray the TC will stop flashing and give me my HP back to keep from getting creamed. I just need to try topping it off again I suppose.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have the sound when make slow turns, especially when it's cold). I got the newest fluid and "thought" I topped it off, but it still happens. I also get Traction Control warnings if I even mildly get on it to pull out into traffic, which is scary as hell sometimes because it drops the power so much that I have to pray the TC will stop flashing and give me my HP back to keep from getting creamed. I just need to try topping it off again I suppose.
This is my exact problem. Don't have any noise at higher speeds.

Fluid replaced, went away for a few months before coming back.

Diff replaced, went away for a few months before coming back.

Another new diff on order.

- loving the extended warranty!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I had noise for about 9 months. Kept changing the fluid 3 different times during that period. The last time seems to have fixed it for the last 15k miles. I am scared almost to change my fluid again in fear that the noise will come back.

·
Registered
155 Posts
2014 A6 sedan.

Diff making whine between 30-40 mph. Replaced at 39,100 miles. Took 62 days to get car back.
Diff quiet until 39,300 miles and now making same noise at 55mph.
Took to dealer for noise and sunroof issue. Was told I have to put 500-700 miles on the new diff before GM will allow them to try anything to fix it.

If it's still making the noise I will take it back and try to get them to let me keep the car rather than leave it waiting months for another one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2011 V Sedan Auto with 31K miles. This car has not been abused much as my wife drives it a few miles to work and back. My current Differential makes a whining noise at 51 mph to about 57 mph. I am on my 4th rear diff. I took it to my Cadillac Dealer today 6/27 and the Service Manager said we are waiting on a revised version differential. I asked what they did to fix the whine and he said something about a "Spacer." I drove my V home and will deal w/ the whine till the new Diff comes in. Has anyone else heard about GM modifying the rear differentials to make them stop whining? Thanks

Westy
I have had one on order for about 3 weeks non warranty and was told by the parts manager there is a revision. It was not clear what was revised. GM is suppose to be getting small numbers from there supplier which I believe is Gettrag. Then they will trickle out to dealers who have ordered them. Hope it is soon I have 2 different noises to the point it does not seem drivable now. Hope to get to the track soon !

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm surprised they actually put time and effort into supporting a discontinued platform, but it's nice. If my diff ever got worse (makes a slight whine under acceleration), I would first try to have a machine shop rebuild it, but I would be open to a revised diff for sure.

·
Premium Member
12,857 Posts
I know the noise you are talking about, my theory is its not the diff at all because my wifes 6 cyl cts4 coupe made the same noise

I chose to ignore it rather than deal with the f'ing assholes at the dealership managing to always return my car to me with some kind of damage

My first diff was def bad, second one was put in fo the whine, whine didnt go away

Constant speed between 54-58 or so

I got $10 that says the noise will still be there with your diff #4

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hearing about guys get 4 diffs put in under warranty is appalling. Very very interested to hear if this "revised" diff is any different. They must have replaced HUNDREDS of diffs under warranty. Nothing worse than a $50k car with a rear diff that whines like a 4yr old child. That's the kinda bs that chevy trucks and Mustangs should be dealing with. UGH!

·
Premium Member
17,716 Posts
If you look at the engineering that BMW and MB puts into the rear diffs on their M and AMG cars compared to what GM put into the V, it's surprising. The V's rear diff is strong and stout, but "sophisticated" is not a word I would use for it. The M and AMG cars really put a lot of thought into not only the strength of the diffs, transaxles, transfer cases, etc - especially on the new AMG AWD 4MATIC systems, it really shows how far behind GM is. Now the new electronically controlled diff in the C7 is an impressive piece, and it truly is a wonderfully designed product for RWD cars. But GM could hugely benefit from a solid AWD program. It would do wonders for not only their performance cars, but the crossover benefits to their truck and HD line would be useful, too. JMHO...

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you look at the engineering that BMW and MB puts into the rear diffs on their M and AMG cars compared to what GM put into the V, it's surprising. The V's rear diff is strong and stout, but "sophisticated" is not a word I would use for it. The M and AMG cars really put a lot of thought into not only the strength of the diffs, transaxles, transfer cases, etc - especially on the new AMG AWD 4MATIC systems, it really shows how far behind GM is. Now the new electronically controlled diff in the C7 is an impressive piece, and it truly is a wonderfully designed product for RWD cars. But GM could hugely benefit from a solid AWD program. It would do wonders for not only their performance cars, but the crossover benefits to their truck and HD line would be useful, too. JMHO...
Agreed on the AMG part. Have a 2004 E55 RUNS high 10s in cool weather mid 1.50 60fts 178 mph in a mile 190 in 1.5 miles 111,000 miles. Rear end has large heat sink on bottom. Changed fluid once in last 3 years. Smooth and quiet zero issues. Now I cannot buy parts for the V rear end tried a rebuilder, and now waiting for new parts that may fix it? Have always been a GM guy
but am beginning to wonder having a car I cannot even drive now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm surprised they actually put time and effort into supporting a discontinued platform, but it's nice. If my diff ever got worse (makes a slight whine under acceleration), I would first try to have a machine shop rebuild it, but I would be open to a revised diff for sure.
Technically they still have quite a few of this platform under warranty. It's in their best interests to fix recurring problems unless they want to extend their wallet even further after a class action lawsuit or special coverage bulletin has to be issued.

·
Premium Member
17,716 Posts
like those sophisticated BMWs that use GM transmissions lol
Which are those? I've heard almost every BMW in the past few years has been using the ZF's. Most notably the 8 speed like the one used in the Hellcat and many Audi's. It's in my wife's car and most of the higher powered Audis.

But it's definitely noteworthy that transmissions are extremely costly to design and engineer - so we can't blame carmakers for sharing the burden.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had mine replaced in February right before the backlog started to occur (diff replaced in under a week). Wonder if I got the last of the "non-revised" diffs?

·
Premium Member
12,857 Posts
Which are those? I've heard almost every BMW in the past few years has been using the ZF's. Most notably the 8 speed like the one used in the Hellcat and many Audi's. It's in my wife's car and most of the higher powered Audis.

But it's definitely noteworthy that transmissions are extremely costly to design and engineer - so we can't blame carmakers for sharing the burden.
google it, they use a few suppliers, GM being one of them, for a while now too

1 - 20 of 65 Posts