Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 09 cts v ran into a problem with the old alternator draining the battery got a new alternator installed and also got a new battery installed yesterday the main problem I'm facing is that it's not charging the system like it's supposed to I know it's hard to trying to assess a problem that you can't look at.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all of them and they are hooked up properly only thing I could think of is the generator cable could be bad on the alternator.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Could be a bad cable, I've also personally had a starter wire with dirty terminals cause charging system faults. Check charge rate with a DMM at the alternator, and at the battery. What's the voltage at on the cluster?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Craziest thing I had the battery sit at 11.7 then 12 and then it just started to drop over time now its doing the same thing from Saturday where it's losing juice within 5-10 mins of it running.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Charging system (alternator) should be charging at about 14.4v. Battery should be at 12.2v for proper testing.
Like others have recommended if you have a multimeter check output voltage at the alternator. You should have that same reading at your battery. If not there's a cable issue some where.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,118 Posts
That’s not crazy that’s a short. Either a wiring issue or a faulty component.
First thing to consider is what work was recently done? It is very common that shorts or parasitic drain can be traced to recent work and pinched wires. Stereo installed? Replaced some other item? Removed/installed seats, upholstery, dash panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pred and SoCalDave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But the alternator is new so it shouldn't be bad already especially since it's only been on the car for 24 hours.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Listen to what MrSurly had to say and report back.
Most likely your going to need some common knowledge of DC electrical troubleshooting and a meter to get through this one. Don't throw anymore parts at it until you have identified the root cause of your issues.
Just my .02

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got ya I just picked up a multimeter so definitely look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s not crazy that’s a short. Either a wiring issue or a faulty component.
First thing to consider is what work was recently done? It is very common that shorts or parasitic drain can be traced to recent work and pinched wires. Stereo installed? Replaced some other item? Removed/installed seats, upholstery, dash panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't had any recent work done on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the charging voltage on the DIC say? Should be 14.2-14.4vdc.
Checked it last night and it had nothing on it and I checked the battery it read 10.98 I was thinking of tapping the white and running a test wire to the positive terminal to see if it would charge that way.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Got it from oriellys

These cars are finicky about aftermarket alternators so if it's not an OEM alternator, that could be your issue.

Reactions: SoCalDave

·
Registered
431 Posts
Checked it last night and it had nothing on it and I checked the battery it read 10.98 I was thinking of tapping the white and running a test wire to the positive terminal to see if it would charge that way.

Engine must be running to see charging voltage in the DIC.
At this point I would not recommend you start tapping/running test wires as if something shorts or goes wrong it cold cost you a hell of a lot more in repairs.
10.98, battery is to low.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Engine must be running to see charging voltage in the DIC.
At this point I would not recommend you start tapping/running test wires as if something shorts or goes wrong it cold cost you a hell of a lot more in repairs.
10.98, battery is to low.
Well only option I can think of is seeing if I can get another battery from orielly's and start it that way to test it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These cars are finicky about aftermarket alternators so if it's not an OEM alternator, that could be your issue.
Yea its a Ultima alternator since they said the ac Delco would be special order.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Yea its a Ultima alternator since they said the ac Delco would be special order.

I recommend getting the AC Delco.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts