Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i have 2012 V and i have the issue where the service air bag light comes on intermittently (sometimes its every few seconds, sometimes its every few days). The car was in for other work and i asked them to look into this issue thinking it was a simple sensor issue that would easily be resolved.

They called me yesterday stating that the air bag module in the passenger seat was not communicating at all with the PCM. With this, means that the entire seat has to be replaced and not just the module, i guess you cant buy the module by itself. Regardless, this is a $2000 bill that id rather avoid if at all possible. Has anyone else encountered this issue and come up with a more reasonable solution?

Thank you in advance for any help

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Maybe useful..

(67) Airbag light | Cadillac CTS-V Forum

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
somewhat helpful, but further confirms my fear, that the seat will ultimately just have to be replaced

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Check and clean the plug under the seat and see if it fixes it. Its not the whole seat that needs replacing. It's just the seat cushion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check and clean the plug under the seat and see if it fixes it. Its not the whole seat that needs replacing. It's just the seat cushion.
right, im just going off what the dealer told me which we all know is whatever gets them the biggest total at the end of it all. I will fiddle around with the plugs this weekend and hopefully cleaning up the connections will if nothing else lessen the frequency of the light

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is an airbag in the driver's seat not a module. if it is the airbag module it controls the whole system. remember the car has a controller area network and the airbag system is a stand alone system that reports to the CAN bus when the car is started. As someone stated earlier if the connection on the seat is intermittent the airbag light will light. However, if you unplug the seat while the battery is connected the airbag light will have a hard set due to the loss of connectivity. if you want to check the seat be sure you unplug the battery first and then reconnect the battery after checking the harness. to get to the harness you will end up taking the rear bolts loose to get to the plug. I would get a second reading of the code to be sure you know what is going on. I say this since the folks were trying to sell you an entire seat for $2000. The following ebay link shows an airbag for the seat for $149 bucks. Note this does not need to be joined to the network after it is installed. The battery has to be disconnected and then the seat removed from the car and then the seat gets disassembled and the airbag gets switched out and the seat reassembled and reinstalled and reconnected. Then the battery needs to be reconnected. If the airbag was the problem then light will stay off after the system runs its self test. You do notice that every other light goes out first and then the airbag light goes out last. It is like a token ring network when the airbag module (read computer) polls the airbags and sensors and they all report in and then the light goes out. Remember there are two front airbags, two curtain airbags, two seat airbags seat sensors that weigh the passenger and determine how fast the airbags go off and then there are the front and rear impact sensors and the safeing sensor all reporting in to establish the system is working each time you start the car. The important thing, when dealing with airbags is that they care explosive and can hurt of kill you. Take your time and follow the proper procedures in the service manual. If you are not comfortable get a professional to do the work. And, not too many shops want the liability of working on airbags.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
He said passenger seat. In the passenger seat. In the passenger seat there is a occupancy sensor that goes bad. It's been covered here before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
need the code since there is a seat sensor and an airbag. they both have to report in and they are different codes

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
There is an airbag in the driver's seat not a module. if it is the airbag module it controls the whole system. remember the car has a controller area network and the airbag system is a stand alone system that reports to the CAN bus when the car is started. As someone stated earlier if the connection on the seat is intermittent the airbag light will light. However, if you unplug the seat while the battery is connected the airbag light will have a hard set due to the loss of connectivity. if you want to check the seat be sure you unplug the battery first and then reconnect the battery after checking the harness. to get to the harness you will end up taking the rear bolts loose to get to the plug. I would get a second reading of the code to be sure you know what is going on. I say this since the folks were trying to sell you an entire seat for $2000. The following ebay link shows an airbag for the seat for $149 bucks. Note this does not need to be joined to the network after it is installed. The battery has to be disconnected and then the seat removed from the car and then the seat gets disassembled and the airbag gets switched out and the seat reassembled and reinstalled and reconnected. Then the battery needs to be reconnected. If the airbag was the problem then light will stay off after the system runs its self test. You do notice that every other light goes out first and then the airbag light goes out last. It is like a token ring network when the airbag module (read computer) polls the airbags and sensors and they all report in and then the light goes out. Remember there are two front airbags, two curtain airbags, two seat airbags seat sensors that weigh the passenger and determine how fast the airbags go off and then there are the front and rear impact sensors and the safeing sensor all reporting in to establish the system is working each time you start the car. The important thing, when dealing with airbags is that they care explosive and can hurt of kill you. Take your time and follow the proper procedures in the service manual. If you are not comfortable get a professional to do the work. And, not too many shops want the liability of working on airbags.

This is the correct path. Carry on

Airbag connectors can be finicky, that is why it throws a code. Sometimes the action of unplugging and replugging cleans the fretting corrosion. Many OEMS use the wrong terminal plating. Gold is preferred but $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
need the code since there is a seat sensor and an airbag. they both have to report in and they are different codes
These were my codes for the airbag.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
These were my codes for the airbag.

How small of a child did you have in the front seat??

Should NEVER put a kid under 8yo or under 4 foot 9” whichever comes first in the front seat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dude is right on the passenger side seat sensor not reading or the harness connector is defective. See below.

The following is the part you will need to replace... That is, if it is not the connector/harness.

Or, you could fix it like this guy did on his BMW.

I did the weight check on the pad, as I just did seats in the coupe.
Here is what I found
the pad in the seat is 1.5 meg ohms with no occupant
with me in the seat 9K ohms (Im about 185lb)

I tried sevaral different circuits (as I had a SRS tool for rests).
1.) I tried the one vince uses (2) 100K ohm resistors with the diode
the light is indeed out

2.) I tried one with a 10k ohm and diode so it would think I was in the seat
no light so "it worked"

3.) I tried one with a 1.5 meg ohm and diode.
Light was out so "it worked"

The question really is what would happen IF???
Would the bag deploy?
Would it NOT deploy since the pass seat belt is not done (no passenger).
If the seat belt is in (passenger) would it deploy?

Really what no one seems to know 100% is the complete circuit and operation of the system. i.e. with simulator, belt, and no belt. What is the function.

personally I went with the 10k ohm and diode to simulate a person in the seat.
Based on my measurements of the pad in my seat.
Also I imagine that since the belt would not be in if no passenger occupant the bag would not deploy.

Note: When measuring the seat I found no directional characteristics, such as a diode.
The circuit for me would not work with out the diode (i.e. just resistors).

This is just information I found with regard to my car and for my personal use.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
I do not recommend rigging the seat.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
How small of a child did you have in the front seat??

Should NEVER put a kid under 8yo or under 4 foot 9” whichever comes first in the front seat.
9 yr. Grand daughter, we was just sitting in the driveway after washing the Champ

·
Registered
44 Posts
So, the passenger presence sensor is indeed bad. It is supposed to see if you are like 65 pounds or under to turn off airbag.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pity it is not this on since GM admits they have a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts