Premium Member
17,443 Posts
Can’t argue that sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: db-guru and RedTXV

·
Registered
981 Posts
Another point here...The kid driving the second vehicle was sentenced to 6 years. He never hit anyone but was liable.

Reactions: db-guru

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
They can feel lucky they didn’t get max sentences.

I give them both credit for stopping and taking responsibility. So many would run and hide.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've driven Bayshore drive. The speed limit (I*think*) is 35 or so. The street is a boulevard with gentle curves along the shore of Tampa bay. It's scenic place with sidewalks on both sides and there are ALWAYS lots of people along the route. It's a very popular walking/jogging/biking/sightseeing venue along its entire length. Racing along a pedestrian area is just so very very stupid.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The loss of two young lives is horrible. My heart goes out to all involved. I can't say anything about this case, due to being ignorant on the details.

I would say that shrinking accessibility to drag strips, will only increase street racing. I would love to see SEMA and the NHTSA get together and save some of the dragstrpis that are going under. Or even to set up temporary drag strips where you could keep the innocents safe...

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
I've driven Bayshore drive. The speed limit (I*think*) is 35 or so. The street is a boulevard with gentle curves along the shore of Tampa bay. It's scenic place with sidewalks on both sides and there are ALWAYS lots of people along the route. It's a very popular walking/jogging/biking/sightseeing venue along its entire length. Racing along a pedestrian area is just so very very stupid.
View attachment 150282
According to the article the speed just before the crash was +100 mph.

As John Wayne once stated; “You Can’t Fix Stupid”

Anybody that would drive at that speed, on a highway like that, which was allegedly highly populated at the time of the crash deserved the judgment the judge awarded him (JMO)!

RD

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Terrible.
@Blades1_99
I'm sure Ray is familiar with the area and the story.
Yes I am. As normal, shitbirds (the kids) fucking things up.

It was a 40mph area and was fine so long as both sides, pedestrians and vehicle operators followed rules, like use crosswalks.

The guys were speeding...and I think she wasn't at crossing area. She shouldn't have died for it, but 40 would have likely killed her too.

Now they have more cross walks and lowered (as shown above) speed limits.

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
But can't you drive 30 minutes east and be in the middle of nowhere? God knows I did DUMB shit when I was 19, when I had no concept of the consequences of my actions. It's a miracle I didn't kill myself or someone else. As I've said many times, to be old and wise one must first be young and dumb.

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
This equals DUI and texting while driving.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
God knows I did DUMB shit when I was 19, when I had no concept of the consequences of my actions. It's a miracle I didn't kill myself or someone else
THIS. I can still (five decades hence) VIVIDLY recall too many really stupid moves that fortunately did not end tragically. Mere fate, apparently the only difference.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How google Streetview managed to drive Bayshore at a time of few people, I'll not understand. I had to be the rare blustery Winter day when it dropped to the fifties. Here's a look the other direction indicating how intimate the roadway and sidewalks are. Definitely not a 100mph zone. Also, cars are required to STOP for ped X-ings and there are several. I have no idea how anyone familiar with the area could have ever thought Bayshore would be a good place to race.
Plant Cloud Sky Daytime Road surface

·
Registered
676 Posts
The parents bought their son a 2018 Mustang GT with 460 hp as a high school graduation gift. I'm sure not a day has gone by that the parents don't regret that decision. I understand you don't need a Mustang or a high horsepower car to have caused this accident but giving a young kid such a car is a recipe for disaster.

My kids are all getting mine and my wife's old hand me down jalopies as their first cars. If anything to motivate them to work and study hard to one day buy a better car for themselves.

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
I bought my own car at 16 and it was 500+hp by 17. Difference was I built it and respected it.

Reactions: Lt1z

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
What kind of retard buys a 17 yo a 500hp car and doesn't get any formal training ? That's right a retard for a parent. Poor lady went out for a want and gets mowed down and for what.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Larry, I totally get it. My first car was an 87 Buick Grand National which I bought with my own money sacking groceries when I was 17 years old. (I'm 46 now) Unlike you I have to admit that I went to the school of hard knocks before I started showing any respect for the power. However as the power levels went up the respect increased and the stupidness decreased.

Now if they did buy a fast car on their own I would make sure that they get the proper training and respect for the power that the car came with. Even if they didn't live under my roof anymore the "daddy" in me wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
While I don't know the full facts of the case, I remain troubled by some of the implications.
The wording of the report leaves me wondering... was he doing a hundred, saw the woman and then deccelerated hard, reaching 30-40 at the impact, or was he doing a hundred, shut it down to 30-40 and drove a steady speed, then the woman stepped into traffic?
I'm troubled by the disconnect in the narrative, but I am MOST troubled by the emphasis given to historical data in the ECM that MAY have had nothing to do directly with what happened. The article says he had a speeding history... not because he had prior tickets, but because of the computer which shows he was being a hooligan in the days before.
how many of us could be incriminated by our ecms on occasion?
Imagine getting pulled over for a turn signal violation and then the cop somehow gets to plug in a widget to your OBD port, read your data and write you tickets for the last couple of days because the ECM's nav says you drove 50 in a 35 yesterday.
Do NOT pretend were are not almost there.
It ALMOST reads like he was convicted on what happened but SENTENCED on ECM history. This sets a precedent, no?

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOTS of parents buy their kids cool hot rods for graduation or before. A 17y.o. at my school drove a Boss9... good Lord how jealous we all were. Quite a few kids got new Z28s and Mach1s and various others. I bought my own.....old ass Austin Healey. The next year i was racing anything that flinched in my (used) 327 Malibu and then my (used) 396SS. I did a lot of stupid. I was lucky. The truth is MOST of us did stupid, but got away with it. Not everyone does.

Reactions: 2advanced
1 - 20 of 32 Posts