Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at used wagons and everyone seems to have replaced the blower or snout and other non consumable parts. Most cars around 60k miles.
Whenever I find thread about "known issues" this doesn't seem to come up. What am I missing? Are there known issues to check were resolved under warranty?
Net net, just want to protect a 45-50k investment in a 5-7 year old car with only 60k miles. 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2020
Thanks in advance.Solitaire

·
Premium Member
14,561 Posts
I've been looking at used wagons and everyone seems to have replaced the blower or snout and other non consumable parts. Most cars around 60k miles.
Whenever I find thread about "known issues" this doesn't seem to come up. What am I missing? Are there known issues to check were resolved under warranty?
Net net, just want to protect a 45-50k investment in a 5-7 year old car with only 60k miles.
Thanks in advance.
IMHO cars are never "an investment." Certainly not one with 60,000 miles, imperfections in the seat, paint and multiple owners (again IMHO - who really knows?)

Besides, even if the blower starts making a noise (which is what the recall was about), it's a $50 isolator most likely or - worst case - $1500 or so to replace entirely.

The differential is another issue, those are $2500.

Paint peel around the fenders is more expensive.

But realistically, the economy taking a huge, 5 year long dump is a much bigger risk to your $50k "investment," although putting that same money into the market probably WILL turn out nicely over the same time period.

Just wait until quarantine is over and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,467 Posts
every car, especially a performance car will have little issues
yes some blowers made noise- they were replaced, they still made noise. Most of us around here modify the cars anyhow so the noise seems to go away once you swap out the upper pulley. even if it does fail later on in life and the dealer doesnt cover the failure its a fairly inexpensive procedure to have it rebuilt or purchase one of the many that are always for sale. Especially now that some guys are going with blowers the market was a bit rich with stock and ported blowers being sold

yes the rear ends made noise, some went bad. many were underfilled from the factory , again its not exactly an expensive part to replace in the grand scheme of things when dealing with a performance vehicle.
Few people report complete failures and most of those are probably driven pretty hard. Some add a differential cooler.

wagons have some kind of tail light issue where some of them pull away, same with a section of carpet- this does not take away from the value of the car

if you spend some time around here and do a little research you will find these cars are very robust and easy to mod which is one of the main selling points.If you are the type to research everything to death you will likely end up talking yourself out of ANY car.

if these things bother you maybe look for another car , few modern everyday vehicles have held their value like the wagons have. They offer a good value in regard to a rewarding driving and ownership experience

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Just like women. Oh, that one's a blond and I prefer brunette. Her boobs could be a little bigger - that will be a couple of grand to take care of that. Shit, her teeth are crooked and need whitening, another couple of grand.

In the overall grand scheme of things, your woman is a keeper if she's into cars. We all have our faults. Thank the lord my wife married me!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The only wagon specific issues are the taillight separation and the hatch struts going out. Hatch struts being inexpensive but a PITA as they are tucked up in the headliner.

Rear shocks commonly leak, $500ish for parts to repair and require some cargo area trim disassembly I think.

The supercharger issue is literally documented over and over and over and over and over on every single forum and Facebook page. 10 years, 120k mile coverage. If the car is within those and hasn't had it replaced, no worries. You can get it replaced. If the car is outside of 10 years or 120k hopefully it has already been replaced.

The diff is a pain in the ass. It doesn't explode, it just gets noisy. Your noise complaint threshold is ultimately the primary driver for when a repair might be needed. A diff cooler can be some insurance against failure.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Hatch struts are about $500 at the dealer - installed.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Shocks typically only leak on garage queens that are parked for long periods of time. The iron particles in the fluid settle out onto the rod seal, then tear it up next time it's driven. On cars that are driven frequently, the iron stays in solution and the shocks last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts