Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone actually reads books anymore - but I've been looking for some good reading list recommendations (like, actually printed on paper, dudes).

I prefer fiction, with action, crime, or sci-fi type genres. As a younger bloke I enjoyed Asimov, Steven King (ie the Dark Tower) and similar but am looking for more modern titles.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds simliar to what I read as a kid, and I recently started reading a few books again. I hate reading on a tablet, but bought a kindle paperwhite to be able to read in bed without a light on, and it's awesome!

Sci-Fi:
Just finished The Three-Body Problem.
It was pretty good, I don't know if it lived up to the reviews/hype, but it was good enough that I will definitely read the next two in the series, I hear that it gets even better (and the first one was interesting enough to read on it's own). I recommend it. Some of the reviews say "life changing book" and while I learned a lot, it wasn't quite life-changing, hahaha.

Altered Carbon was good, and is in all of the sci-fi/mystery/action genres, together. I haven't watched the netflix show.

Red Rising was good, if you enjoy a hunger-games type book. My favorite book as a kid was Ender's Game, so I get into these types of books.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What kind of SF? It seems there's more fantasy published these days then hard science fiction. If you like military sci-fi, I suggest the Honor Harrington books by David Weber. I also like Michael Z. Williamson (Freehold is great and has some sex scenes) and Lois McMaster Bujold (Miles Vorkosigan is the main character in a long series of books).

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just got this yesterday. Not fiction, but surely full of craziness.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got this yesterday. Not fiction, but surely full of craziness.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, it could potentially count as fiction - depending on your point of view... but I'll pass anyway. :D

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've gotten the following in my list:

Freehold
Altered Carbon and the other two books in the series (I'm intrigued by the potential for well placed graphic violence!)
And I ordered the first book of the Expanse series due to the excellent reviews.

I might even look up the novels that inspired the Bosch TV series as I always enjoy a gritty crime drama.

Keep `em coming - summer is here and I need a reason to avoid yard work.

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
I don’t, but my wife and kids read a ton.

On a trip to Portland, first stop was Powell’s City of Books.

It’s an amazing book store.

Three hours and 48 (mostly used) books later we left. Books were shipped home for $12.95, much easier and cheaper than buying a suitcase and checking them on the plane...haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
My favorite Sci-fi book (its not modern like you were asking but I doubt you have read it) is Cities in Flight. It was 4 books originally but was re released as one large book with some good additions/changes.
Definitely recommend reading it if you like scifi.

If you like modern fantasy books Brandon Sanderson is great and Mistborn is the book to start with.

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of SF? It seems there's more fantasy published these days then hard science fiction. If you like military sci-fi, I suggest the Honor Harrington books by David Weber. I also like Michael Z. Williamson (Freehold is great and has some sex scenes) and Lois McMaster Bujold (Miles Vorkosigan is the main character in a long series of books).
I suppose I lean towards the "hard science fiction" style, rather than fantasy.

I'd pick I, Robot over Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings 7 days a week, if that helps any - not to say those were not good series - just that I don't generally find hobbits or unicorns or whatever all that interesting.

But if there's a busty blonde scientist with a fully loaded neutron blaster strapped around her skin-tight yoga-pants outfit preparing to destroy an evil race of blood-thirsty aliens on the other side of a collapsing black hole with her ill-tempered, deadpan Marine copilot who's got plenty of ammo but absolutely zero patience...

then I'm interested. :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
For the mystery / police work I just read all of the Walt Longmire mysteries by Craig Johnson

If you want an epic read about friend, war, seamanship and adventure there are 18-20 books in the collection called Aubrey - Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien. The Russell Crowe move Master & Commander was loosely based on one of the books. Read more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
What did you think of the Dark Tower series? I started reading those my senior year of high school and then had to wait for the final book to come out and it seemed like forever. When King finally released it and I got my hands on it, the last book felt rushed and frankly disappointed me. I recently tried to read them from the beginning again when I travel on long overseas flights but reading on a tablet sucks.

I know you said not so much fantasy but you might try Piers Anthony. I started off with the Xanth novels when I was in Jr High but Anthony started getting senile and perverted or something in his old age so I switched to the Incarnations of Immortality series (by far my favorite).

I'm kind of curious on modern Scifi myself as I grew up on Asimov and Niven but don't seem as far out in modern times.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm back working overnights so I brought two books to work to kill some time, they're from the Detective Micheal Bennett series by James Patterson. I read "Run for your life" a few years ago and thought it was pretty good, then my mother in law sent "Gone" and "Burn" home with my wife so I brought them in. Figured it was better than staring at Netflix and reddit for 8 hours straight. I'm not a book/reading guy by any means, but they were good enough to keep me kind of excited to open them up coming in to work each night.

Michael Bennett

·
Premium Member
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What did you think of the Dark Tower series? I started reading those my senior year of high school and then had to wait for the final book to come out and it seemed like forever. When King finally released it and I got my hands on it, the last book felt rushed and frankly disappointed me. I recently tried to read them from the beginning again when I travel on long overseas flights but reading on a tablet sucks.

I know you said not so much fantasy but you might try Piers Anthony. I started off with the Xanth novels when I was in Jr High but Anthony started getting senile and perverted or something in his old age so I switched to the Incarnations of Immortality series (by far my favorite).

I'm kind of curious on modern Scifi myself as I grew up on Asimov and Niven but don't seem as far out in modern times.
It's been a few decades since I read them but I recall the tone of each book being very different as he wrote them at different stages of his career. The latter few were better written but also much more "magical."

I think I enjoyed the first and second books the best, as they were more gritty and dark.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I don't know if anyone actually reads books anymore - but I've been looking for some good reading list recommendations (like, actually printed on paper, dudes).

I prefer fiction, with action, crime, or sci-fi type genres. As a younger bloke I enjoyed Asimov, Steven King (ie the Dark Tower) and similar but am looking for more modern titles.

Any suggestions?
Read the entire Dune series, all 6 books by Frank Herbert. That is a great series.
Starship Troopers (trust me, the book is WORLDS better than the movie)
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls
The Forever War - this one was a very good read. I enjoyed it all the way through many times.
I actually like the 4 books in the DOOM series - yes, loosely based on the PC games from 1995. Actually was a good read.

I know most of these aren't newer, but you didn't specifically list them as ones you have read.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another vote for Red Rising, it's Hunger games meets Star Wars.

The Passage by Justin Cronin, vampire/post apocolyptic book but not some gay ass Twilight vampires, these guys rip you in half and eat you

The Mr. Mercedes series by Steven King was pretty good, not as good as his early stuff but still fun to read.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts