Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experienced this? 2019 CTS-V, 10800 miles....took it in to the dealer for shuddering when braking. They told me yesterday that all 4 rotors were warped. I haven't tracked it or done anything else that I know of that would caused this...the service adviser hinted that it might not be covered by warranty, but we got that resolved real quick...it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, 5000 miles later, rotors are warped again. They were turned at the dealership back when I had the first problem, now that issue has returned. New rotors are being installed today, hope this fixes the problem. Dealership says that this is not something they are seeing in V's.
I'll keep ya'll updated....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Each time you cut down the rotor, you thin the material.
Basically making it less resistant to warping.

Are there any other symptoms?
Pulling to one side when braking? Feeling like brakes are sticking

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I have seen a similar issue with the ct6-v but not the cts. Sounds like something was possibly causing the brakes to be engaged with the throttle . Be pretty obvious but something seems wrong.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it just gets better....this car is not even a year old. warped rotors showed up at 10k miles, and were turned. 5k miles later, the issue is back. GM doesn't even warranty brake components after 8k miles..that was news to me. I insisted on new rotors, now they are telling me that GM ok'd a "one time goodwill gesture" to replace the FRONT rotors, even though the initial diagnosis was that all four were warped. You would think that common sense would indicate a bad set of rotors that should be replaced, but instead I get to experience the GM red tape runaround....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: After replacing all four rotors, and 5k miles later, the issue is back again....shuddering when braking... going back in next week.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Could the brake booster be applying too much pressure to the calipers? My G35 is known for warping rotors; not because of the booster, I just know your pain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought I was alone on this one.

Yup - Same. Warped rotors around 15k. Replaced after about 5k miles with brand new OEM rotors and pads at about 20k miles. 6000 miles later, warped again.

Rotors and pads are about 1200 bucks on gmparts website.

No racing. No tracks. A few spirited hard stops. That’s it.

Dial indicator shows almost no runout. But they vibrate on light to medium stops. Hit them hard and they don’t vibrate.

Very odd.

I’m going to have these turned ever so slightly and replace all pads with hawk pads, and see if it effects anything going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I was alone on this one.

Yup - Same. Warped rotors around 15k. Replaced after about 5k miles with brand new OEM rotors and pads at about 20k miles. 6000 miles later, warped again.

Rotors and pads are about 1200 bucks on gmparts website.

No racing. No tracks. A few spirited hard stops. That’s it.

Dial indicator shows almost no runout. But they vibrate on light to medium stops. Hit them hard and they don’t vibrate.

Very odd.

I’m going to have these turned ever so slightly and replace all pads with hawk pads, and see if it effects anything going forward.

Update:
Dealer is replacing front rotors and pads, rears are ok. They checked the front hubs to see if anything was amiss, couldn't find anything out of spec. The final analysis, according to the GM "rep" was that the issue was most likely "customer induced"....
I don't track the car, 95 % of my driving is highway with no start and stopping....just normal use. I told them I don't know how else to brake. My 2017 CTS-V never had this issue. I'm almost sure that it's going to happen again, not sure what route I will take when it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just throwing this out there but how do you wash your vehicle? Are you running it through a car wash or doing it by hand right after a decent drive? I don't think its the issue but I could see in an odd instance of repeated warm/hot rotor getting his with cold water over time prompting an issue. The other is a lack of a good break in of the new rotors/pads which over time will just get worse. If you are too easy on the brakes, I would give them a good workout every little bit as you can glaze everything which is no good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just throwing this out there but how do you wash your vehicle? Are you running it through a car wash or doing it by hand right after a decent drive? I don't think its the issue but I could see in an odd instance of repeated warm/hot rotor getting his with cold water over time prompting an issue. The other is a lack of a good break in of the new rotors/pads which over time will just get worse. If you are too easy on the brakes, I would give them a good workout every little bit as you can glaze everything which is no good.
I hand wash the car, but it's usually after the car has cooled down for several hours, or early in the morning before I have driven it at all. I had a 2017 V, and don't drive this one any differently...never had this problem with that car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Maybe signup and activate that OnStar smart driver feature - the one that shows how hard/often you accelerate, brake, etc. and bring that data the next time this issue occurs so they can't say it's customer induced??

Update:
Dealer is replacing front rotors and pads, rears are ok. They checked the front hubs to see if anything was amiss, couldn't find anything out of spec. The final analysis, according to the GM "rep" was that the issue was most likely "customer induced"....
I don't track the car, 95 % of my driving is highway with no start and stopping....just normal use. I told them I don't know how else to brake. My 2017 CTS-V never had this issue. I'm almost sure that it's going to happen again, not sure what route I will take when it does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update # 2:

Left the dealership with new front rotors and pads, two days later felt the same vibration when braking. I'm taking it back tomorrow, we'll see what they say about "customer induced"...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Are your lug nuts being installed with an accurate torque wrench or is the dealership "technician" hitting them with 5 braps of the impact gun?

·
Super Moderator
17,078 Posts
Did you bed the rotors? I find that sometimes if rotors get hot and you hold brake at stop light, it leaves some pad residue on that spot on the rotors. Next time you brake it vibes.

Try dragging the brake lightly to clean off residue without coming to an immediate stop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts