Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Here's one of my favorite moments from the weekend. I left the suite for a few minutes and came back to this - my son soaking up wisdom from the great Johnny O.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Wow! That is incredible. Would be so cool to have a discussion with him.

I was fortunate to grow up with my dad taking me to the Dallas Grand Prix back when it was in Addison, TX. This is what I contribute to my love for all things IMSA or GT3/LM style racing. Got to walk the paddock with him and see Paul Newman racing and up close. Now I take him to COTA for his birthday's.

Sounds like your son definitely feels the same. Great pic.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Here's one of my favorite moments from the weekend. I left the suite for a few minutes and came back to this - my son soaking up wisdom from the great Johnny O.

Yeah he was really down to earth. Shot the shit with us while we were eating lunch on friday.. nice guy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
17,818 Posts
Yeah he was really down to earth. Shot the shit with us while we were eating lunch on friday.. nice guy

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
He is always like that. I talked with him at the Mid-Ohio event last year. Hes such a great ambassador for the brand, and always appears to be humble, approachable and fucking funny as hell.

We were rolling after his meet and greet speech.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah, I've been fortunate to chat with Johnny many times and he's always open and gracious. A real top notch guy. Cadillac is smart to keep him around even if he's not driving competitively for them at the moment.

Here's a pic of me, my brother, and my best friend riding out to take a hot lap in St Pete. We sat in the car a good 20 minutes with Johnny waiting to go out.

· Registered
3,572 Posts
Ford CEO to race in the roar before the 24 in a GT4 Mustang.
The article is long on fluff as he has a very thin racing resume, I mean very thin. He has raced some vintage races in a Lola and GT40 in the states and Europe.
Can't imagine being on the crew for this car working directly for the CEO of Ford.
Of course, all the articles are cut-and-paste BS lacking in details, I'll attempt to fill in the gaps.

GT4 Specs:

GT4 homologated cars with engines tuned to produce between 400 and 450 horsepower and can run speeds in excess of 160 mph. Competition is equalized by adjustments to fuel-tank capacities, ride height, power and weight. Eligible cars include the Aston Martin Vantage GT4, Audi R8 GT4, BMW M4 GT4, Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R, Ford Mustang GT4, McLaren 570S GT4, Mercedes-AMG GT GT4, Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport and Toyota Supra GT4.

Date: Friday, January 20, 2023 to Sunday, January 22, 2023
Where: Daytona
Race format: 2 races 45 minutes, one each day
Coverage: IMSA TV, Peacock, and CNBC

Entries:

X2 Ford GT4
x4 718 Porsche GT4
x2 BMW M4 GT4 -G82
x2 Aston Martin Vantage GT4
x1 Mercedes AMG GT - Gt4
x1 Chevy Camaro GT4-R
x3 BMW M4 GT4 F82
X1 Porsche 718 GT4 RS CS

The other Mustang is Billy Griffin (excellent driver) he is a x2 TransAM GT (The class I race in) champion and is driving a well-prepped Kohr motorsports car. The AMG is the lead dog, the Caymans are wicked and the Turner-prepped F82's are proven and ready. (My teammate wrapped all the turner cars) and another friend is crewing for Turner as well, he also crews for us. Many drivers have been racing for some time and others have not. Daytona is an easy track, fast, and runoff room in T1 and through the infield. The scary parts are entering the banking from the infield, the bus stop and T1 as you are FLAT OUT. The track is hard on tires and proper setup and downforce is a must.

I'll be watching as this car should win or at least podium as you have the backing of the blue oval with all that money and expertise. Would suck being a privateer (like me) but I would love a challenge like that to race against the rich boys. Heck, I do it now.

Good luck to all the competitors and I'll have the popcorn out.

· Registered
3,572 Posts
IMSA did a great job with the new class and sprint format. The LMP3 and GTX class are very even with BOP. The 2nd sprint race was a 5-way battle for the lead and it was exciting to watch. Billy Griffin won both races in GTX and Farley Ford CEO) qualified 15 out of 17 and had two good races finishing 6th and 7th. You could tell he has limited W2W racing experience and he did not embarrass himself. I didn't have a chance to watch the new hybrid cars but have several teammates crewing this race and the R24. I can't wait for the race.

· Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
IMSA did a great job with the new class and sprint format. The LMP3 and GTX class are very even with BOP. The 2nd sprint race was a 5-way battle for the lead and it was exciting to watch. Billy Griffin won both races in GTX and Farley Ford CEO) qualified 15 out of 17 and had two good races finishing 6th and 7th. You could tell he has limited W2W racing experience and he did not embarrass himself. I didn't have a chance to watch the new hybrid cars but have several teammates crewing this race and the R24. I can't wait for the race.
Are you attending in person?

· Registered
1,911 Posts

Sorry if this is a repost.

Reactions: Blades1_99 and m13s

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Watching on TV. The Cadillac looks fierce in black. The other cars look hot also. Can't wait for the start.

Reactions: m13s

· Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Too bad about last year's champ Tower Motorsports in LMP2 and a glitchy trans on the first lap that set him back 9 laps until they were able to rejoin. Fought back to get within 4 laps of the class leader by the end.
The Acura's had great straightline speed but the #01 V was able to reel in #60 in braking.....but I guess that pace just couldn't be maintained.

I did love the in-car POV from #01, especially the sounds! The Acura, meh.

Reactions: m13s and db-guru

· Registered
1,650 Posts
As always, a great race. Sure wanted the Caddys and Corvette to win. How about LMP2 finish!!!
Hell of a finish. Caught him just feet from the finish line.

Reactions: Blown376 and tinman

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Great weather.
The prototype class was almost boring with the 60 constantly running away from the others. The hybrid change wasn’t as big of a deal as I thought it would be. The Cadillacs still sounded great.
Sky Cloud Flag Grass Road

Atmosphere Fireworks Car Sky Light

Cloud Sky World Fan Grass

· Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The Cadillacs still sounded great.
Yes they did! My son and I brought a rookie with us. He went nuts over the race. He commented on them as well. That along with the sequential gearboxes downshifting into Turn 1.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts