Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V2, 255/40-19 and 285/35-19

4th vehicle in a family with 2 drivers, official toy status, just did my first track day and rear traction was mediocre on Pilot Sport 4s's

Will never see show or rain and I'm rule flexible, so not opposed to slicks on the street for the occasional romp but something with some tread for Johnny Law probably a better idea

So I'd like to make at least one return trip to the track with better traction. Would like a tire that can survive 8 10 minute sessions and not need immediate replacement.

Can someone explain load ratings and what's required for the V2 and our touch heavy cars? And wear ratings, what's too low to survive brief track sessions? Recommendations for a road course tire greatly appreciated

Thanks

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Dunlop direzza
I don't know him, but from his posts m13s seems to be one of the if not THE most experienced road racers on here. I'd listen to him if I needed help.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My concern is what R rated tire can handle the weight without greasing out or disintegrating. From my very limited understanding the load ratings can be important. I was giving away a 1400-1600 lb wt advantage to a few contenders at the track day

Like one of my garage mates Boxter was running Falken 615k+'s. They've updated to 660's now but not sure how they respond to another 1400 lbs and 650 hp

Thanks all, Looking into the Direzza

· Registered
3,506 Posts
My concern is what R rated tire can handle the weight without greasing out or disintegrating. From my very limited understanding the load ratings can be important. I was giving away a 1400-1600 lb wt advantage to a few contenders at the track day

Like one of my garage mates Boxter was running Falken 615k+'s. They've updated to 660's now but not sure how they respond to another 1400 lbs and 650 hp

Thanks all, Looking into the Direzza
Your first sentence is a big ask. Road racing a fatty like the V has its limitations on tires doing just that. You want balance of cost, performance and longevity not easy.

I would also look into Toyo R888 - read my review on them somewhere on this forum.

Not knowing your driving style but knowing the stock camber and understeer will eat any tire on the V. ANY TIRE. You need a combination of suspension setup and a good R compound with 200 treadwear rating. These are what is used for endurance racing and they should translate into what your looking for. (I had R888R on my V wagon and tracked it)

Hancook
Toyo
Nitto
Dunlop
Conti
Michelin
Falken

There are others but these are all good.

1400 -1600 pounds is a huge give away. Hat tip for tracking the V but your learning about weight transfer which is one of the basic tenets of road course driving.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.