Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is exactly what it does. Bose is absolutely horrible and the signal in the car is neutered by their overly aggressive tone and eq mapping. Even if you get a cleansweep...it is still there because you are still pulling from the high level outputs post the Bose amp. The only true way to get around it is to either hardwire an audio source to an aftermarket signal processor (like your phone) or connect to the aftermarket signal processor through Bluetooth. Then of course...you would need aftermarket everything else as well.
Ya...best way to deal with it is wire a gain knob that you can adjust up to the center console or something. Or just deal with the bass reduction. It Still sounds better than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Ya...best way to deal with it is wire a gain knob that you can adjust up to the center console or something. Or just deal with the bass reduction. It Still sounds better than stock.
The problem is that the gain knob is not a volume knob. It should never be messed with once set correctly.

·
Premium Member
7,119 Posts
I will be adding a sub once I get the Wagon back from the body shop. I did notice some 4awg wires running to the battery and a JL Audio fuse contraption so the body shop is going to wire chase and see where it terminates. Maybe the annoying part of running wires is done for me already, sure hope so and I'm thinking the factory bose sub might not have been reconnected which is why the Wagon audio was so much more lousy than my sedan audio. We'll see...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I did this in my V1 & want to replicate it for my V2. I loved it. Kicker 10" in the stock spot with a small amp.

So has this ever been done in a V2 yet? I want to change the sub badly but i always end up putting my golf clubs in the trunk and you have to put them in at an angle so any type of box wont really work. I dont want one in the spare tire well either. My IS300 has a setup like that and i honestly hate it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
old bump.
Anyone install a sub in the factory location? Im thinking the volume of the trunk is way to much to have it open air? Also after reading this once I hook up my hi-level convertor to RCA and install amp I'll still have considerable bass loss at higher volume?

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
old bump.
Anyone install a sub in the factory location? I'm thinking the volume of the trunk is way to much to have it open air? Also after reading this once I hook up my hi-level convertor to RCA and install amp I'll still have considerable bass loss at higher volume?
Just get a sub amp that has hi-level inputs as well. Then you don't need the converter, because you just tap 2 wires in the back off the Bose Amp. And yes the Bass will attenuate the higher you crank the volume because the Bose amp is still controlling the signal voltage feeding into your amp. This is why I bought a JL 1000/1 at the time so I could install the adjustable Bass knob. I gained the AMP with the volume up to 90% and the most bass-heavy songs I had. Then I put some rock music in and just dialed the bass knob down. If I want insane bass I just turn the knob all the wall up. Mounted it to the panel on the right below the steering wheel so I can just change it on the fly. Really helps when you drive with the windows down at speed due to the wind noise. This allows me to compensate.

As for free-air, wasn't my style. I prefer sealed enclosures since I listen to such a wide range of music. I did 2 12's in .95 ft^2 per side and the enclosure fits against the rear bench. I still have full access to the spare well. Love it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I copied typhoon's setup and it works great. I dynomatted almost every square inch of the trunk and spare tire wheel well. It sounds so much better than the factory setup.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Just get a sub amp that has hi-level inputs as well. Then you don't need the converter, because you just tap 2 wires in the back off the Bose Amp. And yes the Bass will attenuate the higher you crank the volume because the Bose amp is still controlling the signal voltage feeding into your amp. This is why I bought a JL 1000/1 at the time so I could install the adjustable Bass knob. I gained the AMP with the volume up to 90% and the most bass-heavy songs I had. Then I put some rock music in and just dialed the bass knob down. If I want insane bass I just turn the knob all the wall up. Mounted it to the panel on the right below the steering wheel so I can just change it on the fly. Really helps when you drive with the windows down at speed due to the wind noise. This allows me to compensate.

As for free-air, wasn't my style. I prefer sealed enclosures since I listen to such a wide range of music. I did 2 12's in .95 ft^2 per side and the enclosure fits against the rear bench. I still have full access to the spare well. Love it.

Exactly what I do. Gain knob and JL 1/1000 and dynamat.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I want to mount a sub like this in my V2 sedan. Taking a look at it today it seems that either the entire deck lid needs to come out or the rear glass to have room to slide the new sub in.

Right now I have an Infinity Basslink it the spare tire well and it sounds decent, but I am planning to actually put a spare in there so this seems like a good option.

I may even try to mount an amp to the bottom of the deck lid on the left to save space in the trunk and preserve the light.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So has this ever been done in a V2 yet? I want to change the sub badly but i always end up putting my golf clubs in the trunk and you have to put them in at an angle so any type of box wont really work. I dont want one in the spare tire well either. My IS300 has a setup like that and i honestly hate it.
I have the kicker 11VS12L72 box which has the Square L7 12" speaker this was in the car when I bought it but uses too much trunk space I was going to try and mount the speaker only in the rear deck instead, has anyone done this in a 2009 V sedan?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I want to mount a sub like this in my V2 sedan. Taking a look at it today it seems that either the entire deck lid needs to come out or the rear glass to have room to slide the new sub in.

Did you end up trying anything with it?

Anybody ever try putting a small aftermarket amp on the factory sub?

I’m considering trying it for a little midbass

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Did you end up trying anything with it?

Anybody ever try putting a small aftermarket amp on the factory sub?

I’m considering trying it for a little midbass
I ended up leaving the factory setup intact and added an Infinity Basslink that I had laying around.

It's mounted vertically from the rear deck on the passenger side. Luckily the PO already had power and leads in the trunk, so I just pulled the carpet up and rearranged them to reach.

I'll dig up some pics and post.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ended up leaving the factory setup intact and added an Infinity Basslink that I had laying around.

It's mounted vertically from the rear deck on the passenger side. Luckily the PO already had power and leads in the trunk, so I just pulled the carpet up and rearranged them to reach.

I'll dig up some pics and post.
Does the bass link make a big difference in sound? I actually have one just collecting dust in the corner of my garage and thought about installing it but never got around to it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Does the bass link make a big difference in sound? I actually have one just collecting dust in the corner of my garage and thought about installing it but never got around to it.
It's decent for mid bass, but lacks low end hit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's decent for mid bass, but lacks low end hit.
Gotcha. How much better would you say it is compared to the stock sub? Btw, clever way of mounting the basslink. I would have never thought to do it that way.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Gotcha. How much better would you say it is compared to the stock sub? Btw, clever way of mounting the basslink. I would have never thought to do it that way.
After adjusting the gains a few times to my preferences, I would say that it is about 3 times better.

If you open up the rear seat access hole the sound in the cabin improves even more.

Reactions: random84
21 - 40 of 49 Posts