Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought ive came across a thread or two in the past where people had replaced the factory Bose subwoofer and integrated and aftermarket one in with no issues.....or maybe they had to add a small amp as well.

Anyone have a writeup/ details on how difficult this would be?

Seems pretty easy to pull off in the wagon just not sure how exactly to do it

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I thought ive came across a thread or two in the past where people had replaced the factory Bose subwoofer and integrated and aftermarket one in with no issues.....or maybe they had to add a small amp as well.

Thanks
I'm looking. I saw the write up awhile ago. Here is a reference and photo.
http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/11-interior-upgrades/24540-wagon-subwoofer.html

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
YOU!

I have sent this to a few folks around the www. JKG, right? That was a good writeup.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I added a sub and amp to my sedan. Built a box for the spare tire well using a JL 12" sub and a JL amp. IIRC the input to the bose sub is low level and went right into my amp. I believe my oem sub has the amp built in. If you go this route, choose an amp with a gain control for the bass. Bose notoriously reduces bass as the volume goes up to save their lousy speakers. Improvement was significant but not earth shattering :)

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added a sub and amp to my sedan. Built a box for the spare tire well using a JL 12" sub and a JL amp. IIRC the input to the bose sub is low level and went right into my amp. I believe my oem sub has the amp built in. If you go this route, choose an amp with a gain control for the bass. Bose notoriously reduces bass as the volume goes up to save their lousy speakers. Improvement was significant but not earth shattering :)

Thank you, sounds like it should be an easy upgrade

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did this in my V1 & want to replicate it for my V2. I loved it. Kicker 10" in the stock spot with a small amp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did this in my V1 & want to replicate it for my V2. I loved it. Kicker 10" in the stock spot with a small amp.

I always wondered and wanted to see if anyone successfully replaced their stock sub and replaced it with one in the the stock location. I was told that it would rattle like crazy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I always wondered and wanted to see if anyone successfully replaced their stock sub and replaced it with one in the the stock location. I was told that it would rattle like crazy.
I didn't really have any rattle. I put down a lot of dynamat & only in 1 frequency did I have some interior rattle in the back, but the trunk/tray, virtually no rattle.

Now, on the V1, they did have to nibble out the opening for the sub to fit & it was put in w/the rear window out.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So ive been messing around with this...followed the instructions from the other page.

Im not sure if its just my imagination but it seems like the subwoofer volume is kinda dumb...like, stays loud at low volume levels, then when you turn up the volume, the sub woofer doesnt really follow suit.

I was reading somewhere the factory bose pulls more and more bass from the speakers the louder you turn it up.

Is this what I am experiencing? Any way around this?

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts

Thanks
Some good ideas here:

http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/62-...ions/23392-speaker-level-wires-subwoofer.html

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

hmm seems like the only real solution for the Bose bass cutting down is to add a 300 dollar JL cleansweep which is really out of the question. Im doing a pretty budget operation, using an old 12 inch sub I had laying around and a 50 dollar monoblock amp

I guess the L2Ci thing would help also, but not sure.

Why does everyone keep talking about tracking down a remote wire?

I just used to orange wire on my sub connection for a trigger to the amp, it turns on with the key on.

Used the 2 wires there for + - and all is good other than the stupid ass factory bass reducing with volume....makes it stupid loud at no volume and practically non existent when cranked up

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been working on a flush mount box for the spare tire/stock subwoofer slot. Got the rough box done and im happy with it, sounds good.

Gotta do a little finishing work on the box, round out the edges and wrap it with some carpet and it will be final.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No room for the Nitrous bottles. lol
lol, the only space it occupies is the space that was previously occupied by the factory bose subwoofer and that tire inflation device....it doesnt actually reduce trunk space at all from stock.

Looks stock with the flappy thing shut

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dbish, which JL 12" did you put into your trunk? I had a JL 10W7 in my last car, sold that car but kept the sub, and have been wanting to figure out if a 12W7 would fit into the spare tire area on my wagon.

justinschmidt1, which Infinity sub is that?

Thanks gents - I'm feeling the need for some bass!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dbish, which JL 12" did you put into your trunk? I had a JL 10W7 in my last car, sold that car but kept the sub, and have been wanting to figure out if a 12W7 would fit into the spare tire area on my wagon.

justinschmidt1, which Infinity sub is that?

Thanks gents - I'm feeling the need for some bass!
Its a old infinity 1250w from my old car...it works though.

I think I had like 7 inches or so of depth in my box

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
So ive been messing around with this...followed the instructions from the other page.

Im not sure if its just my imagination but it seems like the subwoofer volume is kinda dumb...like, stays loud at low volume levels, then when you turn up the volume, the sub woofer doesnt really follow suit.

I was reading somewhere the factory bose pulls more and more bass from the speakers the louder you turn it up.

Is this what I am experiencing? Any way around this?
This is exactly what it does. Bose is absolutely horrible and the signal in the car is neutered by their overly aggressive tone and eq mapping. Even if you get a cleansweep...it is still there because you are still pulling from the high level outputs post the Bose amp. The only true way to get around it is to either hardwire an audio source to an aftermarket signal processor (like your phone) or connect to the aftermarket signal processor through Bluetooth. Then of course...you would need aftermarket everything else as well.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts