Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been covered, but figured I'd spread the word, probably old news. So as many of you I have a V2 that underwent the S/C replacement under warranty and I remember some asked back then if they did put a solid isolator. But I didn't see an answer.

Here is the one I just pulled out, funny enough it's identical to the one included with the Lingenfelter kit. Hmm lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Anecdotal evidence is that they did the solid isolator for a while but switched back to the spring somewhere in the past couple years.

Would be interesting to know when yours was replaced.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just had mine replaced last month and it had the spring isolator in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
if it was replaced recently it could of been old stock the dealer had. All new replacements will have the spring. The solid isolators look the same because they are. Lingenfelter just started using the Eaton isolators instead of making there own.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The solid isolators look the same because they are. Lingenfelter just started using the Eaton isolators instead of making there own.
Why does it for so damn tight? That bothered the hell outta me when I installed mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry yeah mine was replaced in 16... Finally getting to mods now... I wonder what was the decision to go back to the spring loaded.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had my SC replaced in April of 16’, and that one came with a spring isolator. I perosonally feel that the spring isolator is the way to go. A solid isolator would have been the easy route to take when the engineers were coming up with the design, yet they chose the spring isolator instead...nuff said.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I am basing this all on what I have gathered from the knowledge base here, so if Im wrong, please correct me and bear in mind I am no expert, but I am a design engineer.

Engineering always comes with compromises...cost/NVH/strength/ductility/cost(lol)/performance vs. life cycle...catering towards the masses...and so on.

The spring was chosen in the first place because it eliminates any resonance at low engine speed and, therefore, any noises the driver might find unsatisfactory. But it rattles like a bitch and wears the shaft it surrounds and causes its own set of noise complaints. Fast forward: GM switches to the solid iso to address rattle complaints witch eliminates the rattle and shaft wear but comes with possible resonance and increased cabin noise. There was likely customer fallout from GM installing solid isos amongst picky owners regarding the new noise. They go back to spring to alleviate their initial concerns, or because its cheaper, or someone calculated theyd rather let us mod owners do the solid swap and keep all the stock owners sensitivities in check.

With headers and corsa sport, who tf really cares about some resonance though?

Interested in more concrete info (Larry Arizona, perhaps)

·
Premium Member
12,388 Posts
i had a factory spring , then a solid.
the car had a noise, so much so there was a new TSB on it, they called it a launch buzz- sounded basically like an exhaust shield rattling. GM essentially said its normal but if customer complained enough or it was excessive they would then swap out the snout only which by doing so puts a spring iso back in it.

swapped upper pulley and noise went away

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Had my SC replaced in April of 16’, and that one came with a spring isolator. I perosonally feel that the spring isolator is the way to go. A solid isolator would have been the easy route to take when the engineers were coming up with the design, yet they chose the spring isolator instead...nuff said.
Actually, it’s not nuff said, not by a long shot.

Change the pulleys and you change the sound.

Nuff said to stay at 556 hp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually, it’s not nuff said, not by a long shot.

Change the pulleys and you change the sound.

Nuff said to stay at 556 hp.

Just saying that it was enough facts for me to decide to stay with the spring that came along with the new factory supercharger replacement. I actually modded my car after the new supercharger and opted to keep the spring instead of the solid, by recommendation of installer and other buddies that are familiar with the setup we have. At the time of mods this was my dd, so reliability was crucial (I've had a baby since, so needed an suv). So it was pretty much explained to me that I could either stay with the spring, which was intended to maximize the life of the SC, and live with the noise it may produce or go with the solid which would not be as noisy but could bring about other issues.

At the end of the day, I don't know which route is best since I'm not an engineer. I'm just a guy trying to play it safe, so I went with the option that sounded safest to me. To each their own though. Everyone has different opinions when it comes to builds, and that's part of the fun :).

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
That’s fine, but my concern with the ‘nuff said’ comment is that it might persuade others that this is the proper way to go.

I can’t recall a single blower failure as a result of using an Eaton or LPE solid coupler.

Also, the noise is pretty much gone with a solid coupler if you increase the blower rpm by a couple hundred, as you see when you change a either pulley to speed up the blower.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That’s fine, but my concern with the ‘nuff said’ comment is that it might persuade others that this is the proper way to go.

I can’t recall a single blower failure as a result of using an Eaton or LPE solid coupler.

Also, the noise is pretty much gone with a solid coupler if you increase the blower rpm by a couple hundred, as you see when you change a either pulley to speed up the blower.

Oh, no I didn’t intend it to sound that way. Sorry. Yea, one thing’s for certain is that either one will work just fine. Next set of mods, if it’s suggested to go solid, I will. But for now, spring is working great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts