Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time posting. Original got lost somewhere.

This post is for the sake of posterity and for those of you kind enough to offer assistance and guidance. I don't need 1000whp. I must be able to drive this car daily, rain or shine.

I hit a deer on the way home in late Feb. To replace the 06 Acura TL, 342,610 mi, I bought an 09 Auto on March 7. It had issues and I'm not scared. I has a salvage title due to being totaled out in Texas from Hurricane Irma.

HISTORY:
Week 1: Did my first RWD burnout and didn't wreck. Also ordered Factory Service Manuals from Helm.
Week 2, Early: First issue I found was an inch of water in the passenger foot well. Pulled the roof liner down and discovered a disconnected drain tube. Reconnected the drain tube and all was well.
Week 2, Late: A few days later, which coincided with the next rainfall we got, I found an inch of water in the driver foot well. Pulled the roof liner again and found the drain tube was in fact connected, it was just full of water. So I followed the tube to the fender and discovered an insect carcass inside the bulkhead fitting. Once bitten, twice shy, I checked the three other bulkhead fittings and found them clear enough to pass water but cleaned them anyway. While I was at it, and because I am not a fan of mold or mildew either one, I removed the carpet and rear seat to allow them to dry in the garage and to inspect for any mold/mildew and rust. The carpet was either cleaned immediately after flooding or replaced. I found only a small amount of surface rust on the front seat bracketry. I currently have only front seats in the car.
Week 3: Now driving with no interior, I heard a slight hum/moan from the rear passenger side, indicating worn wheel bearings. At was at this time that I started a mental list.
Week 5, Thursday: Heard a chirp from under the hood driving to work. I got it home that night and used a stethoscope and silver sharpie on each pulley to determine that the water pump needed replaced. Ordered the water pump. Started driving the wife's car. It's not like she needed to go anywhere, because she now works from home.
Week 6, Friday: Called FedEx to ask why my water pump had been sitting in my local warehouse for 3 days. Saturday: Received my water pump. Sunday: Easter. Decided not to risk divorce by spending the day in the garage.
Week 7, Sunday: Changed the water pump and thermostat to 160*. I will admit to looking for a drain cock on the radiator for about 10 minutes before opening the manual to figure out where GM hid it. Allowed my wife to have her car back.
Week 9, Thursday: Heard what sounded like a gremlin with a hammer turned loose in the valve train on the way to work. Decided to shift manually to keep the RPMs low as possible the rest of the way in and the 32 miles home. Pulled into the garage and got the stethoscope out again and found a bent pushrod on Cyl 1 Intake. Looked closer and saw the spring retainer was cracked. Played with the rocker and felt a catch in the bearing. Got pouty and had a couple drinks.
Week 9, Friday: Revoked my wife's driving privileges again. Decided to say f**k it and look to the future. I will be on vacation the week of Memorial Day. Can't go anywhere, so may as well spend vacation in the garage with my second-best girl. I started researching, lurking, some posting, watching videos, and ordering parts.

PRESENT AND FUTURE:

I HAVE RECEIVED:
ZL1 lid
Rear wheel bearings
ATI dampener
Lingenfelter solid isolator
Lingenfelter idler pulley relocation bracket
Gates 100 and 70 mm pulleys
BTR Stage 3 cam kit with pushrods, springs and retainers
1-to-3 bolt conversion cam gear
Crank bolt
Spark plugs
Valve cover gaskets
BTR trunnion kit TK002
ATI 9.7" lower
Head stud kit
Personalized plate, because why not?
Timing cover gasket
A/C belt

ON ORDER:
Lingenfelter hub and 3.00" upper
Fittings and hose
S/C belt
Dyno time for tuning

PUNCH LIST ITEMS:

Removed and straightened the downturns on the QTP cutouts.

Key fobs have replacement covers. Buttons are intermittent, even after new batteries. I'll get new ones from Cadillac once it's able to be driven to them.

I ordered a DEI 535T one-touch module to make the cutouts one touch. I am currently stuck at the "learning" phase of the install. We'll see if I have time after the car is running again.

I also ordered a Custom LED Universal Smart Triple Play - Run Brake Turn Controller. Yet to start on that install.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
REPAIR DAY 1:
In a word: Sucked.

I am attempting to swap the cam out without pulling the engine. Everything in front of the timing cover has been removed. I went to remove the oil pump only to see that I can't get to the bolt keeping the pickup tube attached. I cut bait on the front side and moved to the top.

I got the lid off and found today's new and exciting reason to drink.
20200525_224211.jpg

The coolant, to be honest, I kind of expected. I thought I might find some evidence of oil, but I never thought I would find anything that looked like this. I guess it will need cleaned before reassembly.

20200525_224945.jpg

Tig welds look nice. JB Welds, not so much.

20200525_225136.jpg

I wiped off the left side to show that the brick was collapsed. No welds on this end.

20200525_224330.jpg

Last one. How would you describe the condition of the rotors?

Edited to correct thumbnails vs small pics.

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
Rotors are worn, but the black coating is sacrificial and comes off on purpose.

Just looks like it has 80k miles on it.

The JB weld tho...

Welcome to the club (as a guy whose Wagon jumped off the dyno last week)!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rotors are worn, but the black coating is sacrificial and comes off on purpose.

Just looks like it has 80k miles on it.
Thanks for the reassurance.
I now see first-hand why catch cans exist.

The JB weld tho...

Welcome to the club (as a guy whose Wagon jumped off the dyno last week)!
Kind of narrows down where the coolant came from, right?

Two things about your wagon. First, I think your car saw a spider. Second, my vote doesn't count, but I vote wider fenders, but only subtly wider.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
That is the worst I've seen wrt oil in the blower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the worst I've seen wrt oil in the blower.
wrt? wet? If not a typo then I'm unfamiliar.

I was just looking at BettyWhtV's build thread where they are talking about HX plumbing. That raised a question for me. Is the reservoir intended to make the test tube unnecessary? Or is the overflow hose off the test tube still necessary to prevent over-pressurization of the HX system?

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
wrt = with regard to.
Reservoir is intended for more fluid capacity, you should still keep the pressure tube in the loop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REBUILD DAY 3:
Somebody once told me, "If you ever want to hear God laugh, just tell him your plans."
Well, I had planned to be driving my car Friday evening. And I hadn't planned on spending any more money.
Apparently God caught wind of this and, well...
20200527_210834.jpg 20200527_210844.jpg
God laughed.
Me? I had a drink.

This just went from a cam swap to a full rebuild.
We'll see what else needs to be ordered once I hear from the machine shop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Machine work completed.
Block had a line bore, mating surfaces trued, cam bearings, cylinders honed
Heads had mating surfaces trued, valve job, new springs, retainers and keepers installed
Crank was balanced and polished.

This is the reason I had to rebuild the engine.
Debris.jpg
I'm pretty sure that used to be a valve stem seal. A piece of which found its way onto the camshaft and caused this.
Flat lifter.jpg
Allowing slack in the valve train.
Bent Pushrod.jpg
Letting loose a gremlin with a tiny hammer.

Machine shop said the valve seals were all intact when they disassembled the heads. The only reason I can imagine there were extra parts inside the engine is from a previous repair attempt. I found pieces in the pickup screen, in the pan and a couple small pieces in the valley. Water under the bridge at this point.

I decided I should quit pouting about not being able to drive my car and start cleaning. Starting with the pistons:
Pistons - Before.jpg
Ran out of elbow grease and bought some ChemDip.
I made an AMAZING discovery! Turns out my bottle opener
Bottle Opener.jpg
Also opens paint cans!
Also Opens Paint Cans.jpg
They soaked for about two hours and I have them mostly clean. More cleaning tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts