Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at V's for sale and am finding a bunch that have all of the bright trim blacked out with plastidip.

Since I prefer the brightwork, is there an easy way to remove the coating from complex parts like the window trim and grille?

So far everything I've found on removing the stuff involves picking and peeling.

While that might be ok for things like wheels it would be a nightmare on the small parts and definitely not something I'm interested in doing.

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
701 Posts
Pick and peel for trim. Just use a tooth pick to get it started so it doesn't damage the chrome surface. Once you actually try it you'll realize how much it's NOT a nightmare.. As for the grille.. Uninstall it and spray it down with a gentle solvent (WD-40 works I hear) to melt/soften the dip, and use a gentle brush to clean it off.. It's not rocket science..

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
they have a solvent that removes it, but wd40, and a few others eat it normally enough you can use a pressure washer and it comes right off.

·
Dat ass
1,675 Posts
I used Goof-Off with much success

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Citrus based cleaner of DYC's Dip Dissolver and a pressure washer will do the grill. All other parts, if applied properly will require 10-15 sec of peeling at an edge and the pull.

·
Registered
977 Posts
electric pressure washer will knock it off easily -- so may one of those wands at self service wash. as others have noted, you can soften with wd40 first

·
Registered
999 Posts
I recently went through the hassle of removing plastidip from my wheels and upper and lower grills.

Wheels are pretty easy, depending on how thick it was applied. Areas that got a light coating like the inner barrels were a pain to remove. I went the WD-40 and power washer route for these. It still left some residue on that I had to get off with a rag and Goo Gone. The lug nut areas were a pain as well to get it off.

The grill was a different story. I chose NOT to use WD-40 here. My reasoning is, the WD-40 turns the Plastidip into some type of goop, and it is sticky and if you power wash off, this goop will get into your radiator/heat exhanger and reduce their effectiveness. I went the tedious route of picking it off the grill with a toothpick and tweezers. Took me about 4 hours. I shouldve been smart and paid some kids down the street $10 to do it for me lol.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uggh!

Since I'm lazy in what little free time I have it sounds like I will avoid the cars with plastidip on them unless the perfect one comes along and is a screaming deal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I searched the forum and youtube and this is the most relevant result. I have dip-regret.

I sterilized and alcohol-wiped my rims before spraying 'em so thick that I'm 100% sure they'll peel-off like removing a rubber glove. My grilles, I did lightly / sparingly though.

So has any progress been made by anyone on un-dipping V grilles since 2017?

·
Premium Member
12,701 Posts
I searched the forum and youtube and this is the most relevant result. I have dip-regret.

I sterilized and alcohol-wiped my rims before spraying 'em so thick that I'm 100% sure they'll peel-off like removing a rubber glove. My grilles, I did lightly / sparingly though.

So has any progress been made by anyone on un-dipping V grilles since 2017?

i would say if you arent wanting to go back to chrome just put more dip over them

and i just realized this is from 6 months ago lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts