Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making sure i am not crazy. I went to a recommended reupholster/interior shop. the idea was to have just the inserts in the recaros replaced. the lady told me that the seat had vinyl headrests and also vinyl lower bolsters. i kindly told her that i believe the seat is made from only leather and she got a nasty attitude and telling me she was a 4th generation worker there blah blah blah. so then we get to the real question about replacing the seat inserts. she insisted that it was leather inserts, and i said no i believe this is alcantara. she said no i know this is for sure leather. so i asker he if she even knew what alcantara was and i tried to show her on google that it is a synthetic material often used in leu of leather or vinyl. at this point i knew she didnt want to listen to anything i had to say and i let her go on thinking she knew it all. i asked her what it would cost if i wanted to go with leather inserts and she said 700 dollars just for materials and 500 dollars to take the seat out and re-stitch the new fabric. the funniest part to this whole story is that she called her recommended dealership who also knew everything, and they said just for the seat inserts it would cost $2,000 hahaha and she believed them! I dont even think the seat option when purchasing the car is much more than 2000. what a trip! so am i crazy, or does this seat have leather inserts and vinyl headrests? i sourced a website with perforated alcantara, the same measurements she said she would need, for $230.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
If I remember correctly the lower portion of the seat is not leather. From the 2011 brochure: "...leather seating surfaces with sueded microfiber inserts."

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Recaro option was $3500

The inserts are alcantara microfiber but with a thicker backing compared to the steering wheel alcantara, it’s specific for seat applications.

Non seating surfaces are vinyl and $2000 is about right for factory recaro seat covers.

Strong word of caution, no matter what a upholstery shop claims, the stitched tear seam for the seat side airbag are engineered and very critical to airbag performance. If that tearseam is wrong, bad things happen in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recaro option was $3500

The inserts are alcantara microfiber but with a thicker backing compared to the steering wheel alcantara, it’s specific for seat applications.

Non seating surfaces are vinyl and $2000 is about right for factory recaro seat covers.

Strong word of caution, no matter what a upholstery shop claims, the stitched tear seam for the seat side airbag are engineered and very critical to airbag performance. If that tearseam is wrong, bad things happen in an accident.

I do remember you telling me about that seam, and I made sure to ask if they touch that or not, which they apparently do not. Im guessing they don't need to alter that if just replacing the inserts. Interesting that its not all leather like I assumed. Ill take the L on that one, but I was almost certain the inserts were alcantara/seude/microfiber not leather. Either way I dont think i will be going back to them because 500 per seat not including materials seemed steep. If anyone is interested in ordering alcantara for their seats I have found a website named Relicate. Just ordered a sample of their black perforated alcantara specific for seat applications and will report back on the quality of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recaro option was $3500

I can vouch for the $2k per seat cover. I had my car broken into a year ago and the seats were torn during the theft. The dealership charge $2,200 with labor to replace it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can vouch for the $2k per seat cover. I had my car broken into a year ago and the seats were torn during the theft. The dealership charge $2,200 with labor to replace it.
I wonder if it cost that much money because it comes with the airbag equipment as part of the replacement cushion. I don't understand otherwise how the recaro seat option is only 1500 dollars more than just fabric inserts.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
as an option its one thing, replacements are another

its like if you built the whole car from the parts catalog the parts would cost you probably double or triple what the car costs new....and you would still have to build that car

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
That is crazy, I got 2 basically brand new full recaro seats for $1500 for the pair...

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Dye lots vary, especially with age.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Dye lots vary, especially with age.
Yeah plus the old one looks worn and shiny, the "new" one could just lack the oils and whatnot in it making it shiny. It does look very close to the like new recaro seats I have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts