Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been doing a ton of searching on how to re-upholster our recaro seats. I'm just looking to do the alcantara inserts on the front seats. My question is how do I remove the cushion parts of the seat that have the foam and alcantara attached to it. Has anyone tackled this project? My alcantara is rough and I tried to refurbish it with sonax cleaner, sandpaper, rubbing alcohol etc. Found perforated alcantara supplier online and want to swap it with new material. Any information helps!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Any good upholstery shop should be able to do this for you. Some manufacturers glue or sew the covers into the foam. I would pay a shop to take the covers off, re stitch whatever material you want, and then reinstall them. The money you would save by trying this yourself may not yield the results you want. Of course if these are not secured to the foam they should come off easy, and in that case a shop still shouldn’t charge much to remove them before they work on them. A lot of places also use steam and other tricks when they reinstall to get a professional result.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking it to a shop is definitely a good option, I'm just curious if anyone else has tried this. I like to get my hands dirty! Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnv2 dang thats a good price if I could find someone to do it for that I'd toss over the dough, but the only company I reached out to so far was talking $400+ a seat.

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
Just don’t mess with the outboard seat back bolster. It has an engineered tearseam for the side impact airbag mounted in the seat.

Upholstery shops will say they know what they are doing on that seam, but they are full of shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are my embarrassing seats. I obviously would've liked to have a nicer interior but the car had everything else I wanted. I did try that fabric dye in the spray can and it seemed to have did the trick for about a week and then I noticed it slowly going back to how it was because the alcantara didn't really absorb the dye.

https://ibb.co/BTvY7NB
http://tinypic.com/r/2h7nnyt/9

I tried uploading the pics but it wouldn't work so I posted the links

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can an upholstery shop actually match the suede color in the V2’s? Or do they have the ability to somehow source the OEM fabric?

I have the Saffron yellow suede and this seems like it would be tough to color match.

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
Just don’t have an upholstery shop replace the outboard seat back bolster on the front seats, The OEM stitching/thread is an engineered seam to allow the side airbags to deploy.

No matter what an upholstery shop says, they can’t replicate it safely. No where near qualified.

If the airbag can’t get out of the seat, it will hurt you versus help you in a crash.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just don’t have an upholstery shop replace the outboard seat back bolster on the front seats, The OEM stitching/thread is an engineered seam to allow the side airbags to deploy.

No matter what an upholstery shop says, they can’t replicate it safely. No where near qualified.

If the airbag can’t get out of the seat, it will hurt you versus help you in a crash.

@larry arizona - I saw that advice as I was searching through all the other Recaro upholstery sections. Awesome call out! I won't be having a shop touch the leather at all. I agree with you.

My plan is to have an upholstery shop attempt to get a very close match to the Saffron suede and just cut in the center pieces for my passenger seat. If they even can, we will see. Some people on the forums said they had upholstery shops swap the centers for ~$150? At least that was my assumption... In comparison to an all new OEM replacement pad/seat cover at GM parts direct pricing of $700+ it's worth looking into.

I saw some other posts where someone found out the suede in the V2's is from Dinamica by Miko (Dinamica by Miko - Classica). I sort of doubt an upholstery shop could land smaller quantities of that but we will see. This is not something I've researched before.

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
I am still interested as well. Anyone know of any reputable upholstery shops in the detroit metro area?
I know of two in Pontiac, literally next too each other.

Paul’s interiors
Bill Kelley’s seat cover king.

Both are on Caesar Chavez drive, both are highly rated.

Reactions: deshars313
1 - 13 of 13 Posts