Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 V sedan I need to change out the rear hubs. What's the secret to getting to the three bolts that hold the hub??

·
Registered
642 Posts
Think there are 4 bolts, you need to remove the center spindle nut in middle, then with plastic hammer knock in the axel as far as it goes. Should give you enough room. I have an 11 coupe but I’m fairly certain all the rear suspension is exactly the same. I’d also recommend using a couple wire ties on the ebrake spring to collapse it enough to get it off the arm, that will make it so much easier when re assembling to not have to fight that spring. Once it’s back on the arm cut the wire ties and pull them out with pliers. Good luck. Fairly easy job. A good slide puller and some persuasion they come loose

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sorry disregard the spring tip, I had to change the backing plate on one side. And there is only 3 bolts, your correct. Getting old.....

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,225 Posts
The three bolts are a BITCH to get to in my experience. I replaced both rear hubs on my '11 coupe. One side was worse than the other. I actually heavily modified a wrench to create a way to get to these bolts as there is only a tiny amount of access even with the axles 'collapsed' as much as possible.
What I did NOT try, but in hindsight I think may have been better, was to look up the procedure for axle removal and follow that direction to disconnect whichever suspension component is required to be able to tilt the knuckle away an allow the axle stub to be moved out of the hub. Don't actually remove the axle just gain room using the axle removal method.

The tool I made:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The three bolts are a BITCH to get to in my experience. I replaced both rear hubs on my '11 coupe. One side was worse than the other. I actually heavily modified a wrench to create a way to get to these bolts as there is only a tiny amount of access even with the axles 'collapsed' as much as possible.
What I did NOT try, but in hindsight I think may have been better, was to look up the procedure for axle removal and follow that direction to disconnect whichever suspension component is required to be able to tilt the knuckle away an allow the axle stub to be moved out of the hub. Don't actually remove the axle just gain room using the axle removal method.

The tool I made:

Good idea on the axle removal. You tube here I come ...

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,225 Posts
Good idea on the axle removal. You tube here I come ...
Wondering what you did on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,225 Posts
I saw a youtube where a guy was doing an axle swap (only) and while the video production/editing is terrible and slow, the point is that the steps to achieve the axle removal access are definitely simpler/quicker than what I did. No spring compressor needed, done with a jack and stands, pretty simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts