Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and just bought my first CTS V . I have a 2012 with an automatic and at low speeds turning either direction I get this terrible howl sound from the back of the car. I bought this from an original owner and has been dealer serviced since new. The car is extremely clean and completely bone stock with 67,000 miles. I bought the car out of state and had it shipped to me only to find out I have this problem. The dealer just did a differential service 11,000 miles ago. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Try changing the fluid with known correct fluid first, acdelco LS would be my choice. Besides that you'll be looking for a diff unfortunately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
change the fluid, and make sure it has the friction modifier in it. Worst case time for a new diff

Reactions: jcs003

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
First, for some clarity you need to determine if the issue is
  1. a limited-slip noise (known issue, simple fix) OR if it is
  2. a gear set/bearing misalignment/worn gear contact whine (also well known issue, no easy-cheap fix)
(When you say "rear end howl" we associate that with issue 2.)

Symptoms of #1 are noises during low speed turns, usually a growling or popping
#2. A howling noise that occurs at moderate hwy speeds, in straight-line travel and the noise changes or disappears with throttle release and comes back with light throttle (cruising at say 60MPH)

Your issue is likely #1 and it means that at the last fluid change that they did NOT add the friction modifier to the lube. Simple fix--- add the FM (couple ounces) or simply change fluid again and select a lube that specifically includes it e.g. Royal Purple 75W-140

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
#2 above is a well-documented issue with Gen 2 V's and the fix is costly. But it has nothing to do with low speeds or turning, so you should be good with the proper lube.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it was 40 degrees this morning, and I made an appointment with the cadillac dealer Monday morning-I’m assuming they have the right lube and additive?

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Yes they do HAVE it but you need to make sure to remind the Service Writer that the car requires it. It will appear on your bill as a separate charge most likely.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
Well it was 40 degrees this morning, and I made an appointment with the cadillac dealer Monday morning-I’m assuming they have the right lube and additive?
Well, how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer said there wasn’t any metal shavings or debris in the fluid, they flushed and refilled with the gm additive and problem solved,,,,,,,for $250

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,223 Posts
EXCELLENT result! Glad to hear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts