Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a rattle that I just noticed the past few days when going over bumps or rough roads and it's coming from the steering wheel. I can move the wheel from left to right when in park and hear the rattle so I know it's coming from the wheel area. Was curious to know if there's something specific I need to do to remove the horn cover to take a peek behind it. Don't want to screw something up and end up with a busted nose and black eye from the airbag....

Thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
Disconnect battery negative cable. On each side of the airbag behind the wheel there is a small hole, you have to insert an Allen wrench or something like that that fits in the hole, push in firmly until it unclips from each side then pull it out disconnect cables to airbag and set aside

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out soon.

·
Premium Member
17,443 Posts
No need to disconnect battery. Likely a loose screw fell out of steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm the loose nut behind the wheel that hopes to find a loose screw.

Reactions: 1sloV2

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the airbag/horn off and didn't find anything loose inside. Turns out it was the joint at the steering gear was about 1/4 turn loose.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My steering column was doing the same thing with movement and noise. Turned out there is a bulletin on the bolts that hold the column to the dash come loose. There are four bolts that hold the column up. I removed the knee bolster. Three screws and it pops off and then there is the aluminum panel for anti-submarine for your knees. Once that is removed look up and you will see the bolts that hold the column to the dash. One of my bolts was completely out and laying on the knee bolster. fell on the carpet when I removed the panel. They have lock tight on them but obviously not enough. I got some tock tight blue and reinstalled the one and then tightened all of them and now there is no noise. Should be a recall since it is the column coming loose. Crazy what manufacturers get away with. Just like the fuel hat and that elbow that cracks. I would think if the car will catch fire GM should be responsible for their errors.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I removed the panels and checked everything under the dash before finding the joint at the steering gear in need of tightening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts