Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 M6 ran out of gas refilled with 3 gallons wont restart. Did some research sounds like i could have smoked the fuel pump. I can hear the fuel pump prime does that mean the fuel pump is good or can it still be toasted? Any suggestions on getting this beast restarted?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
2009 M6 ran out of gas refilled with 3 gallons wont restart. Did some research sounds like i could have smoked the fuel pump. I can hear the fuel pump prime does that mean the fuel pump is good or can it still be toasted? Any suggestions on getting this beast restarted?
Do you have rail pressure at the test port?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Or did the pumps lose their prime?
I thought the pumps were submersed, inside the tank. That's the way it is on my Corvette. So if there's enough fuel in the tank to reach the pump, it's self priming. Diesel fuel pumps need to be primed though. I learned that lesson the hard way on my Sierra 2500.

Doesn't seem like it should have taken so much gas. I know my car will go until it's got barely a gallon left in the tank (I nursed the car to a gas station once, well past the "low fuel" warning point, and put 17.4 gallons in).

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
They are submerged. But, there’s also a jet valve to bring fuel from the other side, so that could be part of the issue as well.

I’m not saying it is, but that it could be a factor. Plus the start prime times out after a few seconds so I don’t know if OP tried it several times or not.

Also, you could burp the rail to release the air in the rail, though the firing injectors should do that pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Thought that there was a timeout on the prime as well, but wasn't sure. Since the pumps are on the same side as fill neck, they should have been submerged. Gotta think it had to do with the pumps timing out.

Interesting nonetheless...I too have run down to 1 gallon left according to hpt...at which point the tank accepted about 16.5 gallons.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Electric fuel pumps hate being run dry.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tech might have improved but I was told by a GM tech during the LS1 days that running very low on fuel several times can and will eventually burn up the fuel pump. Something about the pump needs the enough fuel in the tank to help keep it cool. He stated try to never drive below a quarter tank for extended periods. I burnt up one in my 2001 SS thankfully GM covered it under one of its drivetrain warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts