Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any proven recipe out there to get rid of the primary cats and still keep it quiet? ill keep the stock mufflers just wondering what resonators or other parts have been tested before I start cutting and welding. I did a search but it seems most guys are looking for more noise not less. Must be getting old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did a few actually. but did not any thing directly related to keeping it quiet. I see the B&B cat delete makes it raspy, I also see where guys claim taking the crimp out fixes that but that really does not make much sense. I did look to see if someone had put a resonator in the B&B delete pipes without the X pipe but did not find anything. I see that someone suggested headers to help the raspy sound. I can possible see that but like the idea of stock manifolds. I was also looking to see if i do add headers if som resonator might fit between them and the secondary cats. Do you have any links or suggestions to help?

·
Super Moderator
20,841 Posts
BBrady had a wagon with resonators, and he might, or someone else, did four resonators before the stock mufflers.

I’m running Magnaflow 22” body resonators.

There are a fair amount of guys running resonators into stock mufflers.

TriTexan is running Kooks green cats into resonators into factory mufflers, but I think his mufflers were modified.

Vibrant and Magnaflow are the two most popular resonators on the forum, I believe.

I personally like it as quiet as reasonable, as long as it doesn’t reduce power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there room to put some resonators in the B&B pipes that would be my first choice for easy and clean. Thanks for the help, i will check out those options and members.

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
i did a few actually. but did not any thing directly related to keeping it quiet. I see the B&B cat delete makes it raspy, I also see where guys claim taking the crimp out fixes that but that really does not make much sense. I did look to see if someone had put a resonator in the B&B delete pipes without the X pipe but did not find anything. I see that someone suggested headers to help the raspy sound. I can possible see that but like the idea of stock manifolds. I was also looking to see if i do add headers if som resonator might fit between them and the secondary cats. Do you have any links or suggestions to help?
If I don't habe five threads on quiet exhaust I'll eat my hat. Now *finding* them might be tricky. Use Google, not forum built-in search.
BBrady had a wagon with resonators, and he might, or someone else, did four resonators before the stock mufflers.

I’m running Magnaflow 22” body resonators.

There are a fair amount of guys running resonators into stock mufflers.

TriTexan is running Kooks green cats into resonators into factory mufflers, but I think his mufflers were modified.

Vibrant and Magnaflow are the two most popular resonators on the forum, I believe.

I personally like it as quiet as reasonable, as long as it doesn’t reduce power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to have modified mufflers but the shop that did the work botched it badly and it wasn't worth it. It was a science project that's all.

OP - Stock mufflers are best by far. Its the upstream parts that matter.

My take is that stock manifolds help a lot. If you have headers you'll need 4 resonators for sure. Go with 2.5 inch core resonators if you don't need 3 inch exhaust. The resonators are limited to a 4 inch OD case. A 2.5 inch core affords a little more packing and sound suppression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't need 3" I'm doing the Pulley, E85, Injectors, air intake and some cooling stuff. Its a coupe BTW as well thanks again

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
I don't need 3" I'm doing the Pulley, E85, Injectors, air intake and some cooling stuff. Its a coupe BTW as well thanks again
Coupe mufflers are totally different. You might get good results with aftermarket solutions in that case, but stock works fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any proven recipe out there to get rid of the primary cats and still keep it quiet? ill keep the stock mufflers just wondering what resonators or other parts have been tested before I start cutting and welding. I did a search but it seems most guys are looking for more noise not less. Must be getting old.
When I was searching for a quiet/unique option, I stumbled across this: http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/6-exhaust/24923-3-coupe-exhaust-quad-resonators-magnaflow-mufflers.html

Not everything is easily found in the search fields, I hope this helps.

·
Vendor
1,739 Posts
I deleted all 4 cats, BB test pipes into 18" Magnaflow resonators then OEM mufflers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You should be able to fit 4 of the smaller MBRP resonators under a coupe or at least looking at my ARH setup, it looks possible. I can't recall what the factory setup looks like so do some searching if that is your setup.

On my ARH setup, two small resonators fit like a glove with room to spare. Honestly you might be able to get away with a large and small set of resonators if you cut the flanges off and get crafty with the welder. With ARH, MBRP, and the stock suitcase, our HOA nazi only screams like a pig on really cold starts if it is early in the AM. The sound from this configuration is perfect for ME, but my days of waking the dead are long gone FWIW. At operating temp, only a trained ear can tell the difference if you have some mild mods. Some youngsters on the expressway asked about my sup'd up muffler bearings.... and.... dam... I can't believe they could tell I upgraded them. :cool:

Last weekend, while upgrading my blinker fluid reservoir tank to 12an hose, I thought what the sht and pulled off my resonators. What a horrible idea that was—the dam pig sounds like satan with the cutouts open again.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
delete cats, add resonators into stock mufflers, and if you want more power and still like stock manifolds, get a set extrude honed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quiet Exhaust

So what did you end up doing? I am in the same situation ... want to get rid of the cats, but I want stock quiet.

Bill

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
So what did you end up doing? I am in the same situation ... want to get rid of the cats, but I want stock quiet.

Bill
Not sure thats realistic. But you can get close. But why ditch the cats? Its well proven that at most we are talking a few...maybe, MAYBE 5hp. That's peanuts -esp if you want quiet.

Go with good quality hi-flo cats...better still the Green cats because they are 300 cell but highly durable. Keep the stock manifolds, add dual or quad resonators and factory mufflers.

You can do 2.5 or full 3 inch. You'll be clear to run 1200rwhp with minimal losses and reasonable sound levels.

·
Registered
298 Posts
FWIW I made this setup, connected to 1 7/8" headers. Still a bit of drone around 1800rpm. Quiet but sounds like ass under throttle.

I just finished a customer's car for which I came up with all mods. 2" ARH headers, welded in two Vibrant 1795 3" resonators in the mid pipes and connected to the 2.5" Corsa Sports (which were already on the car). Exhaust sounds amazing, no drone anywhere in the RPM range, quiet as stock under normal driving (no cats and BTR S2 cam). Amazing under WOT, gloriour bald eagles coming out the mufflers.

I just got Corsas for my car too once I heard that setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,594 Posts
I'll see if I can get a video of my current exhaust. I think it's close to stock at cruise. Has a super deep muscle car sound at idle (but no lope b/c stage 1 cam), and at WOT is it nice and loud...but not the screamer that corsas are. But if you want quiet idle and cruise, you probably give up some scream at WOT.

Here's about all I have now - a cheap iPhone vid with the current exhaust setup when it was dyno'd last.

Here is startup with the 3 inch MagnaFlows. It has identical exhaust now, just stock mufflers so a tad quieter.

Everything else I have is with completely different exhaust setup...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the B&B mid section that replaces the crimped section, deletes secondary cats and has some bullet sized resonators right before the X pipe and Magnaflow 4x9x11"mufflers. Sounded pretty good, nice and deep slightly louder than stock. I just installed test pipes and although I like how it has awaken the exhaust sound, but now the drone is pretty bad and unbearable for my wife (ear issue). My plan is to fab up a new mid section and replace the bullet resonators and X pipe with a Magnaflow Tru X muffler...either a 11386 4"x9"x14" or 12468 5"x8"x18", which ever one fits best. Should tone it down just enough to kill the drone, but still sound mean when you jump on it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts