Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

QTP Cutouts randomly don't work?

19K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  hornetraider 
#1 · (Edited)
*UPDATE ON THE OLD PROBLEM:*

All connections have been checked, reconnected, and are solid. I am still only getting about 50-75% success rate. I tried everything to see what triggers them to work and not and cannot figure it out.

*NEW PROBLEM - just installed green filter on airaid, now QTP's rattle when I'm holding a gear at high rpms (especially 3rd at 4-6k). The rattle sounds like a bell ringing? This happened when they were partially open but now its happening at full open - maybe because the sound frequency changed with the green filter.

I have heard that calling QTP won't be much of a help besides them to tell me to send it in... which clearly isn't easy nor cheap to uninstall/reinstall.

Original post:

I have a set of QTP Cutouts on my coupe. They only work 75% of the time? No matter if I use the wireless remote or homelink, sometimes im stuck with whatever position the cutouts are in. If they work when I get near or start the car, then they will work until I get out again, but its a crap shoot whether they will work again. Any ideas what may be causing this?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a set of QTP Cutouts on my coupe. They only work 75% of the time? No matter if I use the wireless remote or homelink, sometimes im stuck with whatever position the cutouts are in. If they work when I get near or start the car, then they will work until I get out again, but its a crap shoot whether they will work again. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Lol.

#3 ·
Lol....not sure I agree with this assessment. Sounds like wiring or mechanical failure much more than it sounds like an Lol. issue.

#6 ·
I cant help but be sarcastic :)

#8 ·
I had this, but it was just a loose power wire that was easy to find. (I ran mine into that rear fuse block above the battery)

If they're both going inop at the same then look for the commonality.. Either they're not getting power or ground, or something could be faulty with the receiver.

#11 ·
sounds like you should switch to DMH, problem solved.

#16 ·
Can't you just unbolt the motor and buy a new one and bolt that in without having to mess with welding? Does QTP offer a warranty on their cutouts? I know DMH does, but the guy is IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of.

My DMH's have been holding up fine for 5 months now, and I open and close those things at least 2-3 times a day.

#17 ·
I just ran into a similar problem with my QTP cutouts, intermittently working without touching a thing. Looks like its the wireless antenna not functioning very well. I took the box apart and all the solder joints look good so im guessing something in the circuitry is shot. I already replaced both motors with no luck so i just ordered a new wireless module today. When I opened the wireless module it looks like it was soldered together by Michael j fox. Its pretty shoddy work.

#19 ·
QTP , Well well mine just stopped working after 6 months got a replacement motor after 1 week and now they stop working again so I got a new circuit board and still not working. I think it's in the motor , I'm pissed like a mofo. All that money .

#20 ·
Yup. I burnt out 2 remote controller modules. I gave ☝ and just leave them open. I'm stock exhaust otherwise, soon to go test pipes.

Reactions: MYV
#23 ·
This sucks. I LOVE cutouts and I always dreamt of having them when I got a V, but I just can't understand why something that's relatively simple is so expensive and unreliable simultaneously.

#25 ·
Called QTP, today and was told to send them both motors and they will repair them. Took 15 mins to remove them & $17.00 to send priority mail to NJ. QTP warranty is top notch right now considering they only 6 month old.

After I took them off and started up the car I was like dam exhaust note sounds good. Ima just leave them open when I get my motors back., and say the hell with the neighbors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.