Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm brand new to the forum & the Wonderful World of V's. ( long time LSx enthusiast).
Everyone here seems to be be knowledgeable & willing to help. I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community.
Re: my exhaust: My goal is to have options, basically a mild to ( hit the remote) simply louder/ better sounding exhaust. I do not plan to heavily modify this one. So performance is not the top priority.

1. My question is on the quality of sound. The video's I've searched with cutouts on stock exhaust are surprisingly tame & smooth ( Xpipe) sounding. Is this accurate ? I like it but just expected a raspy farm truck type sound & was pleasantly surprised to hear more of that exotic smooth note.

If so ( for me at this point) its a great option to use the cutouts in place of a full catback or axle back system.
Any feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated.

- cabin drone at cruise
- overall loudness 1 - 10 ( 1 being a church mouse (stock exhaust ) & 10 being headers/ no cats straight pipes.
- overall sound quality/ tone

Like I said, the sound on a few videos that I've heard are surprisingly the note I'd like to have. I'm wondering if anybody can confirm that they are accurate.

sorry I cant post links yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have them on my '12 and LOVE them. They are super quiet while cruising (maybe a 2.5), but nice and loud (8 or 9) when you get on it. The sound at idle outside the car is amazing. After about 3k they do get raspy but it still is an awesome sound. Hope this helps..

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sound is VERY subjective. I had a modified C5Z with just about everything on it and it was LOUD.

I only have an Airaid intake and QTP cutouts on my V coupe so far.

I find that my cutouts are very tame at any RPM level compared to my old setup. My goal was to at least be able to hear the engine RPM level without having to look down at the gauge. It does that but not a lot more. Its ok for now.

One day if I go pulley/headers etc.... then the volume will increase but the cutouts will allow me to dial back the volume when my wife is in the car , and loud when im alone.

Here are a couple videos.

https://youtu.be/q_3lpvd__qM

https://youtu.be/9F0N9n7VK-E

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark,
Your videos were the catalyst for the question. Love the way it sounds. If this is an accurate representation... I'm in !
My other toy is a mind bending build with Kooks True Duals 3" exhaust. So loud it wakes the dead & the wife wont even get in it.
This V (new to me) is my Daily Driver & I want to keep it civil but fun when need be.

Probably do a pulley, bigger injectors & some meth (tuned for safety) later down the road.

PS: your install tutorial is fantastic as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the feedback.
Rasp on the high end is music to my ears.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks Mark,
Your videos were the catalyst for the question. Love the way it sounds. If this is an accurate representation... I'm in !

PS: your install tutorial is fantastic as well.
Thanks. I hope my procedure helps. It was rather straight forward an install.

Toque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Headers cutouts. I love it.

·
Dat ass
1,675 Posts
Here's mine - stock exhaust with cutouts and Merican Motorsports turndowns

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll be one of the few people that chimes in and doesn't like them. I have QTP cutouts with Ground & Pound turn downs on an otherwise factory exhaust on my 2012 Sedan. They were already on the car when I bought it. With the cutouts fully open, yes it's loud in the cabin (although not as aloud as other vehicles I've been in with more race-oriented exhausts, maybe about a 6 or 7 on your scale) and yes it drones. You will get some (or a lot) of rasp/popping on decel that is otherwise silenced with stock mufflers but I wouldn't characterize it as a raspy old farm truck. It's just very UN-Cadillac to me, but I get that some people like the noise. You asked about sound quality and tone and to me cut-outs don't offer much in the way of either of those. But I've always been a guy that enjoyed that smooth, deep, mellow tone like you get on old muscle cars over loud raspy exhaust. The only redeeming quality of the cut-outs in my opinion, is the ability to go from stock sleeper to "race car" in about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all.
I pulled the trigger on the cutouts @ WeaponX
Picked up some wheel spacers to feed my Mod Addiction as well.
I promised myself I would keep this a smooth DD ..... but I sense what is coming.
I’ve Got the SICKNESS !!

- Love the tunnel run
- it takes a special type of maniac ( in a good way) to run hard while snowing
- beach to the mountains Nice. Inspired by the creative wood framed lift ( that’s Moonshiners engineering at its best).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve had the QTP cutouts for a few weeks now & Love Em !!!
On the stock exhaust the sound is just right. Very little drone which can be controlled by simply closing the flaps a bit.
While I’m aware that many catback or even full systems have a more refined note, FOR ME & my goal of simply having a choice to go from Dr. Jeckle to Mr. Hyde on my daily driver : this is a great solution.

The Well rounded howl & the rolling thunder crackle on the down shift is worth every penny.
My other toy in my sig is what I take out when I need to wake the dead & feed my dark side. So this daily driver which is never going to be a Max Effort build, certainly filled the need of a more exciting driving experience while driving to work.

PS: I just discovered rev match ..... holy sh#&t, that’s sounds amazing as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is a quick vid of my setup. Just to give you another sound to reference. Kooks to cutouts, details in vid description.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had them on a previous supercharged vehicle. There was Zero performance gain although i will admit i did have fun with them. The drone was rediculous tho. My biggest issue was after a while they would start to rattle when closed and or have a minor leak which sounded like ass! I swore after that i would never get another set. Not sure if anyone has had issues with them on Vs. now im kinda starting to miss them lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ive had QTP low profiles 2 different cars for about 4 yrs total, no problems with leaks or rattles but, recently one in-line fuse went out on the wireless controller. Relatively easy fix just had to solder one in.

I like the sound, wouldnt want any other setup. I do have a borla catback and stock manifolds though so it may not sound the same as everyones. They scream at full throttle though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts